OPPO BDP-83SE NuForce Edition !!!

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
OPPO BDP-83SE NuForce Edition !!!
« on: 8 Nov 2009, 03:52 pm »
Check out http://www.nuforce.com/hi/products/oppo_bdp83se/index.php

You can also order the BDP-83SE and then upgrade later. If you have the BDP-83 and want to upgrade, submit the upgrade form on the upgrade web page.

We should be able to ship within 1+ weeks. 
Pre-order for 10% discount (30 day money back guarantee) at store.nuforce.com
Your credit card will be authorized for the amount but not charged until ship date.

srb

Re: OPPO BDP-83SE NuForce Edition !!!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2009, 04:05 pm »
Jason,

I see several links on your website to > Visit OPPO BDP-83SE product page. but that just takes me to the Oppo BD-83 page.  I can't find reference to an SE edition on their website.

Steve

CG

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2009, 04:16 pm »
Jason,

Are there any more details available on what goes into the Nu-Force Edition?

Clarke

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2009, 04:43 pm »
Jason,
So, as I read this, and the upgrade page (and your comments above) there are three offerings via Oppo and/or NuForce:

1) the standard BDP-83 sold by Oppo and Amazon,etc. that can be upgraded.  This upgrade costs $796 to get to the NuFOrce SE, or $396 to get to the stock SE?

2) the "stock" SE version ($895), available from ??  In which case, what does this stock SE include, other than the well-advertised Sabre DACs?  And you can go from standard to stock SE for $396?

3)  the SE Nuforce edition ($1295), described in your link, and sold by NuForce exclusively?  As per your link:
The Nuforce Edition elevates performance yet further by replacing critical analog components with the high-grade equivalents NuForce uses in its high-end audio components. The result is a better power supply and optimized analog signal paths. As always, the proof is in the listening. The improvements in stereo (CD, SACD, DVD-A, BD Audio), and L/R/C movie outputs are clearly audible. 

Does this mean no improvements to the analog surround channels?  Will the improved PS have an indirect improvement on those intent on HDMI connections for their audio (and video, of course)?

A bit confusing.  We need some level setting, thanks.

PeteG

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2009, 04:56 pm »
I too would like to know the difference between upgrades. I won't be using a HDMI into a processer, all analog.

sac8d4

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2009, 06:41 pm »
Jason,

The BDP-83 upgrade form seems to not be working, I am likely to go this route and take advantage of the trade in program after hearng about the Nuforce upgrades? How will the Nuforce edition SE say compare to your new CD-8 as a redbook player?

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2009, 09:21 pm »
Oppo BDP-83 - Uses Cirrus Logic DAC
Oppo BDP-83 SE - Uses ESS Sabre32 DAC (x2) + different power supply from regular BDP-83.
Oppo BDP-83 Nuforce Edition - Further upgrade on the Sabre32 platform

The improved power supply is on the analog audio supplies, so there should be no impact to the HDMI output.  However, we believe the analog output on both the SE and Nuforce edition could easily better most HDMI processors (unless you are using $7K plus processor that does fancy DSP re-clocking like Lexicon or Meridian).

Nuforce Edition does not add/replace the original SE power supply, we change the regulation and other related circuit as necessary as to power the different analog output stage. 

Since the SE is already very good, easily better or equal to audiophile CD Player up to $2500, and we do have limitation on board space:  50% of the SE board real estate is allocated for the 2-channel stereo, while the other 50% is used by all of the 8-channel (running off a single 8-channel Sabre32), and therefore, we keep the surround channels' analog circuit unchanged.  However, since the power supply regulation has been changed, the surround channels benefits from better/stiffer regulation.

To upgrade a regular BDP-83 to SE or Nuforce Edition, both the analog DAC board and the original power supply must be replaced.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2009, 09:25 pm »
How will the Nuforce edition SE say compare to your new CD-8 as a redbook player?

The Nuforce CDP-08 is extremely good.  It's designed to be one of the best Redbook CD playback device, optimized from the DSP algorithm to the circuit design.  Playing back a CD on CDP-08 will be a revelation.

The concept of CDP08 is that it doesn't do unsampling nor bit-extrapolation - these algorithms are afterthoughts given the fact that conventional Optical drive provides a compromised data retrieval.  With CDP08's new DSP platform, the Redbook data retrieval comes with sophisticated error-corrections, we have the best 16-bit data retrieval, and then it's slaved to the DAC to reduce jitter, and outputs at 384Fs oversampling, at pure 16-bit, to an AKM Hybrid DAC, so we combine the performance of an R2R and a Delta-Sigma DAC.

The BDP-83 has a different set of challenges.  For BD playback, we are looking at 192kHz/24-bit, SACD (DSD), and all formats must be supported.  Sabre32 is such a DAC that can accept all sorts of digital formats.  The analog output stage on the BDP-83 nuforce edition is essentially similar to the one used in CDP-08.

So the sonic differences between the BDP-83 Nuforce Edition and the CDP-08 are mainly the sonic difference in 2 completely different approaches and concepts.

Casey

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2009, 09:58 pm »
One word about re-clocking for the 'clock obsessed':

There are modifications on the Oppo players that included very expensive 'super clock mods'  Oppo uses 1 master clock reference for everything, putting a more fancy clock is still subject to the jitter performance of the chipset's internal clock generator.

With the Sabre32 DAC, the DAC runs off an independent clock, without going into details, ESS claims they can reduce the incoming jitter by running a separate clock into the Sabre32, and that's how the Oppo SE board is setup.  A separate clock powers both the onboard Sabre32 DAC, with the clock essentially sitting next to the Sabre32 used for the 2-channel stereo.  Operating in this mode, the Sabre32 DACs ignore the incoming MCLK and use their local reference clock.

Christof

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2009, 10:36 pm »
Sounds like a killer CD player :thumb:  Is the ESS Sabre32 set up to take 24/96?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2009, 11:07 pm »
Sounds like a killer CD player :thumb:  Is the ESS Sabre32 set up to take 24/96?

Of course, but so was the "old" one.  To decode audio codecs like TrueHD (like any other decoding BD player) and DVD-A, etc the DAC chip needs to be able to do 24/192. 

Christof

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2009, 02:24 am »
My question pertains to the USB input....assuming there is one and also assuming the Oppo will accept USB input from a pc?  I realize the Sabre32 is 32 bit but is it possible to use this modded player as a USB dac as well?
Thx
c.

weewee43

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2009, 01:24 pm »
hello,
i'm a french Nuforce customer and i'm interested in the OPPO/NUFORCE BD player.
in France,the price is outrageously high! :evil: :evil: :evil:
i'll have to pay about 1500 euros=$2250.
can you believe that?
i know the euro is high,but,come on!,surely not this high!
Nuforce can't do something about it? :cry: :evil: :cry:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2009, 03:03 pm »
My question pertains to the USB input....assuming there is one and also assuming the Oppo will accept USB input from a pc?  I realize the Sabre32 is 32 bit but is it possible to use this modded player as a USB dac as well?
Thx
c.

No, The Oppo 83 is not a USB DAC, per se (i.e it won't take streamed data of a computer's USB output).  It's USB ports are for digital files off a formatted thumb drive (videos, pictures and music files...or firmware updates).

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2009, 08:47 pm »
hello,
can you believe that?

How much is the OPPO BDP-83 by itself if you purchase it there?  Maybe you could save a bit by sending it in for the upgrade?

I am an OPPO dealer and know there is not much margin in the Player itself.

weewee43

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2009, 02:26 am »
hello,
can you believe that?

How much is the OPPO BDP-83 by itself if you purchase it there?  Maybe you could save a bit by sending it in for the upgrade?

I am an OPPO dealer and know there is not much margin in the Player itself.

unfortunately,there's no european oppo bdp 83,so it would be too expensive to order one from the states,and send it back to nuforce to get the upgrade.

maybe i'll find the oppo/nuforce player cheaper,on the net in another country.

sac8d4

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2009, 05:36 am »
Jason or Casey,

You have given a general list of upgrades, but can you be specific with the analog section such as what opamps are be using, or is it a discrete circuit sans opamps. How have you redesigned the anlaog circuit? How has the powersupply been beefed up from the upgraded PS that Oppo is putting in their SE version?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2009, 05:44 am »
unfortunately,there's no european oppo bdp 83,so it would be too expensive to order one from the states,and send it back to nuforce to get the upgrade.

maybe i'll find the oppo/nuforce player cheaper,on the net in another country.

You just explained part of the reasons your distributor has to charge a high price. We all have slim margin to work with. Import, service & support, shipping cost all add up to the price you pay there.  I guess the consolation is that other high-end Blu-ray players are selling for several thousands Euro there and they might not sound as good.  Some internet sites even reported that a few of these players are "OPPO Inside"   :wink:

We tell it like it is and we justify for the extra cost with our modification and brand on it.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov 2009, 07:32 am »
You have given a general list of upgrades, but can you be specific with the analog section such as what opamps are be using, or is it a discrete circuit sans opamps. How have you redesigned the anlaog circuit? How has the powersupply been beefed up from the upgraded PS that Oppo is putting in their SE version?
We provide the general description only.  The specifics are Nuforce proprietary information.

Curly Woods

« Reply #19 on: 10 Nov 2009, 10:14 am »
Wow that seems just a little bit paranoid.  Why is asking too much for the basic upgrades that warrant the price increases for your version of this modified unit?  Modwright seems to be more forth coming of their upgrades.  It is just a question to find out what has been changed and why it is worth the cost to a potential buyer don't you think?