Practical questions on ordering from norh

Claude

« on: 18 Mar 2004, 11:57 pm »
Hello,

I've sent an email to info@norh.com requesting some information four days ago but haven't received an answer yet. That's why I post my questions here, maybe someone knows the answers. Thanks

Hello,

I was made aware of your company through the many positive reviews. I intend to order a norh SE9 for my AKG K1000 headphones, and I live in Luxembourg, Europe. I have two questions before ordering:

- Voltage: I've read on message boards that a 240V version of the amp is available. Is this a special order or is it enough to indicate this when ordering? Is the price the same as for the 110V version?

- Shipping: I've read that your products are shipped through private operators like Fedex. In my country, those companies usually charge very high service fees for the customs declaration ($30, in addition to taxes), whereas for shipments with the postal service I only have to pay the customs tax. Is it possible to ship the amplifier to Luxembourg through regular postal service?

Thank you

Claude

edwinc32

« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2004, 07:45 am »
i have actually just received my se9 today approximately 10 days after placing my order.  i'm in malaysia and the darn ups charged me usd130 for taxes and clearance fees.

however, i must say that the se9 was very well packed and i recieved my amp with no dents or marks on it.....oh yeah forgot to mention they sound great after a couple of hours and i'm sure it will sound better as it gets burn in.

you may want to check with namphung of michael at norh to see if they could ship it out to u via postal service (i doubt so coz of the turn-around time and also insurance) ... would u rather wait for snail mail when u could get it flown straight to u?

anyway, my se9 came with 240v; i guess they would know which voltage to supply by your mailing details

Standeman

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2004, 08:05 am »
I too am a resident of Malaysia. As Nohr products are manufactured in Thailand, an ASEAN, signatory, you should only have to pay the ASEAN preferential tariff for electrical equipment (which I understand is 10%). As the transaction has already occured it might be difficult to get a refund (but you never know your luck). I have been able to arrange to get the preferential tariff in the past based on documents provided by Numphung. Best to speak to her first in the future about this matter before the goodsa are dispatched.

Claude

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2004, 12:25 pm »
Thank you for your replies

Quote from: edwinc32
you may want to check with namphung of michael at norh to see if they could ship it out to u via postal service (i doubt so coz of the turn-around time and also insurance) ... would u rather wait for snail mail when u could get it flown straight to u?

Well, the only difference is the operator. I regularly receive packages from the US through airmail and it is almost as fast as Fedex.

But Fedex charges these exagerated service fees for the customs declaration, and because they make money from that the package is certain to pass through customs, whereas with airmail many small packages get through without customs tax being added.

Does anyone have the email adresses of the Norh customer service, in case I receive no answer to my previous email?

bhiggins

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2004, 02:36 pm »
I have been trying to get ahold of Namphung for two weeks now and have gotten no replies to either of my emails.  I copied Michael on my most recent email at the beginning of this week and received a reply from him within 30 minutes.  I still have heard nothing from Namphung, despite Michael saying he would have her get back to me.

If you are looking for information, Michael would probably be your best bet, based on my recent experience.

James Tg

$100 for Le Amp II Shipping
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2004, 04:09 am »
They charges me $100 on one LE Amp II shipping (pre-order), and the amp had quality problem to begin with.  I have to write several emails to Mike to resolve the situation.  It makes me real unhappy.  I wonder I will buy their products again.  If you want to buy their amp, be sure the shipping charge.  Just a reminder.

Claude

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2004, 10:32 am »
I emailed Namphung this saturday evening and received an answer on sunday morning !

Here's what she answered to my questions (see above)

available for both 110v & 240v and the price will be the same
$399.95 included shipping.

We don't ship with Fedex because it's expensive.
We've got special deal with TNT or DHL for the shipping cost if you need
me to ship with normal postage this going to cost you more than
additional $30 .The only thing to be concern is the duty import tax in you country for audio quipment should be very high

As the value of the SE9 is 325 Euro ($400), it is still considered a small shipment according to EU tariffs (<350 Euro), and the import tax will be 20% (VAT + customs tax).

Claude

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2004, 09:06 am »
Is there a EU resident here who has ordered electronics from nOrh?

My SE-9 is currently withheld by customs because it needs to be checked for the compulsory "CE" label (EU electronics security norm).

http://www.bruker-biospin.de/NMR/ce/ce2.html

I'm worried now. I have also contacted Namphung on this and will report.

Claude

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2004, 04:47 pm »
I was just informed that the nOrH SE-9 was denied entry into the EU because it is not compliant with EU directives 73/23/EEC (low voltage appliances) and 89/336/EC (electromagnetic compatibility). If I don't enter a CE certificate of conformity within 5 days, it will be returned to the sender.  :cry:

romain

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2004, 10:52 am »
Hi Claude,

I have ordered a SE9 end of May and I just received it last Thursday. The customs in France didn't even check it, I didn't pay any taxes or anything extra to TNT (the company Norh used for shipping).
Note that the box content is indicated as "Ceramics" (a good trick probably). :wink:

Haven't seen a CE logo anywhere on the product, but it's definitely a 220V version.

and the sound is great, although my poor speakers need to be changed. (which is why I am browsing this forum btw).

Hope this helps.

Claude

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2004, 11:37 am »
Bonjour Romain,

Thanks for the info. My SE-9 has been returned. Given the circumstances, nOrh has handled this perfectly so far. Now I'm waiting to be refunded and I hope TNT doesn't send me an invoice for the customs formalities.

Seems that I've been very unlucky with the customs, but clearly they have the law on their side.

Marbles

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2004, 03:31 pm »
Quote from: romain
Hi Claude,

I have ordered a SE9 end of May and I just received it last Thursday. The customs in France didn't even check it, I didn't pay any taxes or anything extra to TNT (the company Norh used for shipping).
Note that the box content is indicated as "Ceramics" (a good trick probably). :wink:

Haven't seen a CE logo anywhere on the product, but it's definitely a 220V version.

and the sound is great, although my poor speakers need to be changed. (which is why I am browsing this forum btw).

Hope this helps.

Either the ceramic or marble nOrh 4.0 are great speakers to go with the SE9.  As long as the room is not that large.

romain

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2004, 07:15 am »
Thanks for your kind help Marbles. The apartment I live in is quite small indeed. But as I might move some day I was thinking that maybe as a long term solution the SM6.1 would be better. What's your view?

I feel a bit confused as the TNT review (http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/norh_se9_e.html) says "Clearly, the SM6.9 is a poor match for the little SE9". And the SM6.9 seem to be very similar to the SM6.1.

Marbles

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2004, 12:02 pm »
I normally only recomend products I've owned or at least heard.

I have not listened to the SM6.1

Given that it is rated at 90 DB 1W/1M,  I would have to say it is probably a better match than about any other nOrh speaker except maybe their new high effeciency one, or the Prism 6.6 (which I've heard and liked).

romain

Update on European customs fees
« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2004, 10:27 am »
Quote from: Claude
Bonjour Romain,

Thanks for the info. My SE-9 has been returned. Given the circumstances, nOrh has handled this perfectly so far. Now I'm waiting to be refunded and I hope TNT doesn't send me an invoice for the customs formalities.

Seems that I've been very unlucky with the customs, but clearly they have the law on their side.

Bonjour Claude,

It seems that the TNT guys who deliver parcels have no clue about whether your shipment will be taxed or not - when I asked them they said no but a month later I was invoiced an impressive 147,02€ !

And yes, clearly the customs have the law on their side both in your case and mine  :(

Considering the current exchange rate my SE9 has costed me 390,05€ / 481$.

Yet, I still consider this to be a good invesment. The sound and the quality of making are worth it.