How do I repair the grill connectors?

aggielaw

« on: 29 Oct 2005, 03:38 pm »
My mother-in-law (who I otherwise like) bumped one of my mini 9.0's and broke off one of the two plastic "knobs" that hold the grill in place.  nOrh sent me extra "knobs" with the speakers, but I have two problems:

1. I can't get the broken part of the knob out of the hole in the baffle; and

2.  I don't know how to safely remove the hole casing (which is in the baffle and holds the knob that attaches the grill to the speaker.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since I may be selling these imminently based on responses to my thread directly below this one.

Thanks,
Howard

Nick B

« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2005, 06:20 am »
Regarding # 1, it appears you could use a drill press with a very small drill to carefully drill it out or if the drill bit catches the part, you might be able to pull it out that way. Regarding #2, I sure would call the manufacturer and discuss that particular problem with them. I would think they have encountered that before and have suggestions for both items you mentioned. Good luck

sas

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2005, 01:39 pm »
I had the same thing happen.

1. I used a sharp small screw, screwed it in and pulled it out with pliers. The broken knob then came out with the screw.

2. Don;t know. The knob holder was not broken, so I just replaced the part on the grille. But I would guess that if you thread a larger screw into it, you should be able to pull it out.

aggielaw

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2005, 04:00 am »
Got the broken piece out tonight without having to replace the grill holder, thankfully.  Thanks for your help guys!  :)

Nick B

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2005, 07:45 am »
Glad it worked out for you. Now just keep your mother-in-law away from your gear      :)