I was at the 'Fest, and heard the Le Amp II's....

aaird

« on: 13 Apr 2003, 01:30 am »
Here are some of my impressions...

First, let me say I intend to get the first pair that roll off the assembly line.  I know, you thought you were getting them, but it's really me...  :-)

Anyway,  

I think first of all they were a bit brighter than a lot of the tube amps I heard, but that may also have been a factor of the special 9.0 customs Mbarnes had there..  I thought the treble/highs in many of the rooms sounded veiled and dull, which also may have been a feature of the room acoustics in the various halls, and may also have been my own problem since I might very well like the highs to be too prominent (I don't think so, but who knows?).  A lot of the time I felt kind of treble starved in a bunch of the showrooms, but not at the nOrh room with the Le Amp II's and the custom 9.0's that were there.   I felt that the treble was not veiled, and on the other hand was not harsh or shrill.  It was just noticeably more prominent than in many of the other rooms, and I would say that it sounded more like what I listen to in my room.  

The mids were great, although again I have to believe that much of the credit goes to the good speakers, but the power and quality of the mids was just right.   Altogether, I didn't hear any real problems with any midrange in any room with any amps or speakers.  The main problems I heard were lack of deep bass in some rooms, and lack of transparent and extended highs in many of the rooms.

As far as bass goes, this was the other way the Le Amp II's and the 9.0 custom jobs got me to perk up.  
First, these new amps are not very heavy, so when you pick them up and feel the weight, you might think there is not going to be any heft to the bass.  You'd be wrong.  These put out really clean and clear bass notes, surprising me since I was prepared to believe that the switching PS was going to be weak or anemic.   NOT.  Compared to many other rooms and amps, particularly the other high-powered SS amps like the Odyssey,  the bass was everything you could ask.  The little 5 inch driver in those custom 9.0's didn't really generate the kind of air volume possible with a bigger bass driver, but I was still kind of blown away by how much quality of bass there was.   I am pretty sure the speakers didn't go substantially below about 70 hz, or if they did the digital audio files he was playing on the server didn't have those octaves recorded, because I didn't really hear anything that low.  But, what there was was strong and punchy, and with no muddiness or weakness.  All in all, I was impressed, but I wished I could have heard them in my room with my speakers.   Of course, I WILL be hearing them in my room, with my speakers, sooner or later.

About the other audiophile phenomena like Soundstage, height, depth, and imaging, I didn't really get any chills from any system anywhere at the show.   I would have to say that for my first trip to a ultra high-end audio fest, I was dissapointed that nothing at the show made me think I was at a real performance.   It seemed to me that everything in there, in whatever room, still sounded like audio equipment reproducing the music.    Frankly, I suddenly doubt much of what some people have said about their system sounding like 'the real thing'.  Nothing there did it for me, including some very nice Edgar Titans, which I thought just might be the ticket.   I'd love to have them, but they just can't be confused with a real performance.    But getting back to the nOrh Le Amp II's, I would have to say that soundstage and imaging and all that got lost in the room, with all the people talking, and the poor acoustics, and etc.   Come to think of it, I never heard any Electrostatics while I was there.  Maybe if I had....?

Overall, I'd say my feelings about the Le Amp II's were  1. Amazed at how similar they sound to many more expensive amps in the show, including the Stratos, and 2.  Relieved that my fears about them being veiled, or weak, or lacking in some obvious quality, were not realized.  The opposite was true, they were everything I hoped they'd be.

I'd have to say the Le Amp II's are worth every penny of the money Mbarnes is going to ask for them.   Count me in for a pair, maybe two!

Andrew.

P.s.  The best turntable I've ever heard was there, the Redpoint Testa Rossa.  Kudos to Thom Mackeris for a superb piece of engineering, and some absolutely great tunes!  As soon as I win the lottery......

My system is or has been at various times...

Counterpoint SA 100 Tube/SS hybrid
Pioneer Spec-2 monster SS amp.  

Parasound Phono Pre.

No table right right now, I just sold my Rega, Denon DL 103, RS Labs A1.

Music Hall CD player.

Bottlehead Foreplay modified Preamp--Owned a short time, but my initial impressions are that it is a great Pre.

Axiom M80Ti's
nOrh Sm 5.1's
VMPS RM1's
nOrh Subs Mk II's (pair)

Various ICs, van den hul, MAD, etc.

Spkr wire--1 pair of Straightwire ribbons, another pair of homemade 8 gauge solid core.

Xi-Trum

« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2003, 02:09 am »
That is certainly very encouraging.  I think I'll get the second pair.  :)

About the rooms, more often than not, untreated rooms would make the sound bright, harsh, cold, and edgy.  So, if you hear veiled, dull, or lifeless sound in an untreated room, maybe it's the system.

Since I finally saw the light with room treatment (many thanks to Dan Banquer), the first thing I look at in a setup is room treatment.  I noticed that the nOrh room and many others are untreated.  From your description of the sound, I don't worry too much about the treble being a bit more prominent.  My room is treated so it may sound just right.  ;)

Btw, can you guys find out what the gain of the LA2 is?  Thanks.

ABEX

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2003, 03:01 pm »
Sounds very encouraging.I will buy 1 pair then 2 more for sure if they mesh well with my system.

No presentation can really be glorified at most of these shows especially if they have just a booth so much cannot be tested in the true sesne and that can be expected.Even some showrooms I have been to .I really regret going to places that bunch 7 sets of speakers in a room and expect a person to get a good impression :cry: ,but you can usually tell weather a speaker or amp sounds dark or veiled and that is the greatest or most important thing for myself.If the vocals cannot sound true or natural then what can I expect from the rest of the spectrum.

It's a go and I am glad for that! :D

Now I can relay this thread to others that have been awaiting word as to sonic virtues of the new LeAmps and let them decide for themselves weather to take the plunge. 8)  

Thanks for your impressions :wink:  and now I can look forward to my Vertical amping setup with the new LeAmps!    :P

Thx,ABEX

mikebake

• http://www.midwestaudiofest.com
Re: I was at the 'Fest, and heard the Le Amp II's....
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2003, 06:46 pm »
"I would have to say that for my first trip to a ultra high-end audio fest, I was dissapointed that nothing at the show made me think I was at a real performance."

Just for the record, MAF was not an "ultra high-end audio fest":; far from it.  Not billed that way, not organized that way. Read the front page of the MAF site for what MAF intended to be or not be...........

www.midwestaudiofest.com

MBB

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2003, 07:02 pm »
Mike,

I and everyone I spoke to had a really good time.

I want to say THANK YOU for all the hard work it took to put this on.

I know you must be burnt out right now, but I think with the momentum this show has built up, 90% increase in demo rooms, and about a 50% increase in attendees over last years show, that a yearly event will really gain some recognition.

In fact, TNT will put up a story about it any day now, right beside their show reports for:

Reportage: Milano Hi-End 2003 - Milan - Italy
Reportage: Sound & Vision 2003 - Bristol - UK
News: Milano Hi-End 2003 - Milan - Italy
Reportage: Sound & Vision 2002 - Bristol - UK
Reportage: CES 2002 - Las Vegas - USA
News: Top Audio & Video 2001 - Milan - Italy
News: Rome Audio Show 2001, fifth ed. - Rome - Italy
Reportage: Sound and Vision Show 2001 - Bristol - UK
News: Las Vegas CES 2001 - Las Vegas - USA
News: Milan Hi End 2000 - 2nd ed. - Milan - Italy
Report: Top Audio & Video 2000 Part I - Milan - Italy
Report: Belgrade HiFi Fair 2000 Part I - Belgrade - Serbia
Report: Belgrade HiFi Fair 2000 Part II - Belgrade - Serbia
Report: 3rd National Ciare DIY speakers contest - Senigallia - Italy
News: Top Audio 2000 - Praha - Czech Republic
News: Top Audio & Video 2000 - Milan - Italy
News: AV Fest 2000 - Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia
News: Festival du Son et de l'Image - Montréal, Québec - Canada
News: Sound & Vision 2000 - Vienna - Austria
News: Milan Hi End 2000 - Milan - Italy
Report: CES 2000 - Las Vegas - USA

and that's very good company.

Anyway, congrats on putting together such a great show, and thank you again for the great time!

mikebake

• http://www.midwestaudiofest.com
Thanks
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2003, 07:30 pm »
Some of the problems endemic to the event are directly related to why I was able to have the event in the first place; the venue is cheaper than in a big city, therefore getting large attendance is problematic and in addition, we are already out of space. Growing it larger doesn't seem possible.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2003, 07:38 pm »
Well, for me, it is the social event of the year..........

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2003, 01:42 am »
Mike,

You sound pretty burned out right now and I can understand why. I'm sure it was a tremendous amount of work to put the show on. Along with Rob I offer a very hearty thank you and well done. I throughly enjoyed myself.  :thumb:  :thumb:

If you put on another one, I will certainly attend. As for having it in a smaller city, I'm all for it. The people are generally much friendler and the pace not as hectic.

Not trying to hijack the thread, so back to the LeAmp II discussion. :)

Mike

mbarnes

• http://www.norh.com
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2003, 04:44 am »
We enjoyed meeting everyone and having a chance to show off some of our new products and ideas.  The Ohio show is a small show but it is a very good place for us to meet real people and show that we are real as well.

I hope that we can have the same opportunity next year.