FS: Omega Loudspeakers Super 6 XRS Alnico - Omega's best-ever design

lousyreeds1

Up for sale is a pair of Omega Super 6 XRS Alnico speakers in beautiful condition. These are widely regarded as Omega's best-ever design, with excellent speed, transparency, and realism, plus real bass response that's hard to find in the world of single-driver speakers. The Darko Audio review here tells you everything you need to know: https://darko.audio/2010/09/omega-super-6-alnico-xrs-extended-room-speakers/

This pair is in a dark cherry finish (the same one Darko used in the review). They're in perfect condition, with the exception of some mild fading around the grill area that's only visible in certain light. The corners of one of the branding stickers on the back of one speaker are slightly peeled away from the veneer. I've owned these since 2012 and will be sad to see them go, but a move to a new space makes it impractical to keep them.

I don't have the original boxes, but will pack these well in a single, very sturdy box. Shipping is via USPS from a DPO address. Normal Priority Mail rates apply, but shipping takes a bit longer than usual - normally around two weeks to CONUS or Canada.

Asking $1650 plus paypal and shipping.

Please see my feedback at audiogon.com under the same username. Questions welcome, and thanks for looking.

Goosepond

• Virna!
Hi,

The rules around here require a price!!! :thumb:

Gene

lousyreeds1

Sorry folks, forgot that little detail!  Asking $1650 plus paypal and shipping.

radarnyc

Where are you located? Also, can you post a pic of a speaker with the grill on? I’m wondering if these have square or round grills. Thanks

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
It is likely that the fade (actually the original color) will darken to match the rest if you leave the grills off.  Give them about a month or two, depending on the light.  The darker areas have already deepened most of the way that they will go.  The lighter area will darken relatively quickly while the darker area will not get darker.

I have SAMs in zebrawood.  Ran grills at first, then not, leaving the tell tale lighter area.  But now the veneer shade matches again!

And I agree that the Alnicos are the best of the Omega line.  I love mine.

I run without grills.  The drivers look very natural in these cabs.  And I think they actually sound better without the obstruction.

lousyreeds1

I took these off the market a while ago because I couldn't find safe shipping boxes, but I've now found a custom packing service so am willing to sell again.  I'm at a U.S. embassy abroad.  These will ship to CONUS at standard, domestic USPS Priority Mail rates through the Diplomatic Post Office (DPO) service, but shipping generally takes a few weeks instead of a few days.  DPO shipping is fully trackable and not subject to customs fees.

The grills are square, and only cover the top portion of the speaker - they are not the ones that extend all the way down as with some Omega models.  The fade is not going to change - I've been using them without grills for the entire time I've owned them.  That said, it's only visible in very specific light - you may very well never notice it. 

As I was preparing these for shipping I noticed two things that I want to disclose: 1) a small scratch on the bottom of one speaker, probably 1.5 inches long (you will never see it, of course), and 2) some crimping on the edge of one of the whizzer cones with perhaps an extremely small tear of one millimeter or so - way too small to capture in a photo.  Louis of Omega said this won't affect sound, but he will replace the whizzer for free if it really bothers you.