L2 Signature Preamplifer - Information and Discussion Thread

Vinnie R.

Re: L2 Signature Preamplifer - Information and Discussion Thread
« Reply #20 on: 2 Aug 2018, 02:24 pm »
Daaaamn!!! Even the bare chassis looks sassy  :wink:

Awesome job Vinnie. I will have to rename my LIO trust fund...

BTW heard the new amps in Axpona and they were brilliant...unfortunately could not spend a lot of time due to the constant flow of eager enthusiasts

Thank you, rollo and soulforged!

Also, I posted some new details of the new L2 Phonostage option (click on the L2 Phonostage tab) on the L2 Signature Preamplifier page:
https://www.vinnierossi.com/l2-preamplifier/

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2019, 01:46 am by Vinnie R. »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 2 Aug 2018, 02:46 pm »
If one buys the L2 pre does one get a discount on the L2 amps? 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #22 on: 3 Aug 2018, 04:20 pm »
If one buys the L2 pre does one get a discount on the L2 amps?

Hey jtwrace et al,

There is not a package discount with buying the L2 Pre + L2 Monos together (but I do allow for LIO trade-in's for those buying the
L2 Pre and L2 Monos together). 

For those looking to only purchase the L2 Pre, I can offer "some" LIO trade-in credit, but you need to email me directly about this.

I have also received some questions about if there is any L2 "introductory" pricing, so I need to clarify:

The current prices listed on the website for the L2 Preamp and L2 Monos *are* the introductory prices, and most likely will not change throughout 2018.  After that, they are likely to increase.

Thanks,

Vinnie

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 3 Aug 2018, 04:49 pm »
There is not a package discount with buying the L2 Pre + L2 Monos together (but I do allow for LIO trade-in's for those buying the
L2 Pre and L2 Monos together). 

For those looking to only purchase the L2 Pre, I can offer "some" LIO trade-in credit, but you need to email me directly about this.

I'm confused about the above.  The first sentence says you do allow for LIO trade in for the package.  If one is only buying the Pre a LIO trade in isn't 100% credit like the VR model has been? 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #24 on: 3 Aug 2018, 05:27 pm »

I'm confused about the above.  The first sentence says you do allow for LIO trade in for the package.  If one is only buying the Pre a LIO trade in isn't 100% credit like the VR model has been?

Hi jtwrace,

Sorry for the confusion.  Let's take it step-by-step:

- If you are buying the L2 Preamp + Monoblocks together, there is no discount pricing.

However, if you are buying the L2 Preamp + Monoblocks together, and you have a LIO, you can trade-in your LIO (100% trade-in credit).

- If you are only buying the L2 Preamp, there is not a 100% LIO trade-in credit.  I should be able to offer partial trade-in credit on a case-by-case basis, so one needs to email or call me directly about this (not via the forum).  It would be up to you if you want to take the partial trade-in offer, or sell it privately. 

Vinnie

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 3 Aug 2018, 05:32 pm »
Got it now, thanks! 

tbzc

« Reply #26 on: 6 Aug 2018, 12:42 pm »
New preamp looks very interesting. Would like to have some additional info:
- what is the gain of L2S?
- can the gain be adjusted?
- does it have a polarity switch?

Thanks for answering.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #27 on: 6 Aug 2018, 07:50 pm »
New preamp looks very interesting. Would like to have some additional info:
- what is the gain of L2S?
- can the gain be adjusted?
- does it have a polarity switch?

Thanks for answering.

Hi tbzc,

Welcome to the VR forum!

- The L2 Preamp's gain is approx. 8 - 10 dB (depending on the tube family used).  I plan to take gain measurements with different tubes (but even that can vary from brand to brand), but let's just say approx. 9dB of voltage gain. 

- The gain is not adjustable (initially I had a gain adjust switch in the design, but that mildly compromised the circuit so I eliminated it).

- However, you can internally bypass the DHT preamp stage all together.  This runs the signal through an exceptionally clean, ultra high bandwidth Class-A JFET unity gain stage (0dB).  I thought this would be a nice feature if someone wanted to listen *without* the DHT's in the signal path (to compare and contrast when using different amplifiers, speakers, etc. or just to change it up for a while), or if one is waiting on a new set of tubes and wanted to continue enjoying the L2 Preamp.

- The L2 preamplifier stage does not have a switch to swap absolute polarity of the L and R channels.  The L2 DAC option for the L2 Preamp *does* have the option to swap absolute polarity on the fly via the L2 remote handset. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

8)

flkin

« Reply #28 on: 8 Aug 2018, 06:07 am »
Hi Vinnie

Beautiful beautiful design!  :thumb: Congratulations for making design and ultimate sound come together so well.

Can you summarise what's the difference between the L2 preamp and the LIO DHT preamp for existing users of your LIO DHT system today? How is the sound impacted and what changes can we expect to hear?

Also will the LIO platform continue to be developed?

Thanks, Kin, Thailand

Vinnie R.

« Reply #29 on: 9 Aug 2018, 03:36 pm »
Hi Vinnie
Beautiful beautiful design!  :thumb: Congratulations for making design and ultimate sound come together so well.
Can you summarise what's the difference between the L2 preamp and the LIO DHT preamp for existing users of your LIO DHT system today? How is the sound impacted and what changes can we expect to hear?
Thanks, Kin, Thailand

Hi Kin,

Thank you!

I'll be discussing in detail the differences in sound quality, functionality, etc. in the next coming weeks (along with adding a new L2 Preamp Tube Rolling thread).  The increase in performance of L2 Preamp vs. LIO DHT PRE is substantial, and just as the L2 Monoblocks are by far my best amplifier design to date, the L2 Preamp is by far my best preamplifier design (and the same is true with L2 Phonostage).  They are completely new, incomparable designs from the ground up.

Right now I'm very busy getting L2 Preamp into production.  We are on target to begin production of the L2 Preamp, L2 Phonostage, and L2 Dac in early September. :hyper:

Yes, it will.  8)

Thank you,

Vinnie

flkin

« Reply #30 on: 10 Aug 2018, 06:46 am »
As the LIO DHT is already sounding so good in my system with your DAC2.0, I can't imagine it being taken to the next step!

Look forward to your coming discussions.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #31 on: 2 Sep 2018, 07:46 pm »
Update: September 2nd

- I am very close to starting full production of the L2 Signature Preamplifier!  The enclosures are taking the most time to complete (I am not surprised by this, and I require them to have the same flawless fit and finish as the L2 Monoblocks).  I have been notified that I will not receive them until around mid-September.  :banghead:

In the meantime, I am now in the process of receiving parts, hand-assembling PCBs, and doing preliminary testing of them.  This way once I receive the enclosures, I'll be able to hit the ground running! :hyper:  This is why I have not been posting nearly as much I want lately - I'm just way to busy right now!  I anticipate actually shipping orders before the end of this month and don't foresee anything that would cause major delays.

- I'm also building L2 Dac modules and L2 Phonostages, so they will be ready mid-September.

- I have been testing a wide variety of tubes, and the tubes that had too much hum with LIO DHT PRE are much quieter
with the L2 Preamp circuit (and using the mesh tube covers that connect to the enclosure, which get tied to the AC mains ground). 

- The L2 Preamp webpage will be updated with specifications in the next week or two.

- There will be two Vinnie Rossi rooms next month at RMAF (with Harbeth, and with Spatial Audio) and both rooms will have the L2 Signature Preamp and Monoblocks.  RMAF will be the "official" debut of the L2 system, so I hope many of you can attend!  8)

More updates will be coming soon enough...

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #32 on: 2 Sep 2018, 08:21 pm »
Fun fact time!

I forgot to share this a while back.  This black metal mesh is covering a vintage Edison style light bulb on the wall of Baba Sushi in Sturbridge, MA.  It is where I got the idea for the L2 Signature Preamp mesh covers on "date night" with my wife.  :green:

Kanpai!

Vinnie

Mikeg77

« Reply #33 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:21 am »
Along with the L2 systems, will you have a LIO DHT set up in one of the rooms at RMAF?  Best wishes for the launch!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #34 on: 5 Sep 2018, 12:56 am »
Along with the L2 systems, will you have a LIO DHT set up in one of the rooms at RMAF?  Best wishes for the launch!

Thanks, Mikeg77!

At RMAF this year, I'll only have the new L2 Systems.

Hope to see you there!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2018, 05:49 pm »
Just a quick update, as I'm beyond busy right now and RMAF is 2 weeks away! 

8)  The L2 Signature Preamplifier is now officially in production!

:hyper:  I'll be shipping out a few at the end of this month, and then more soon after RMAF. 

:idea:  The included stock tube is the EH300B Gold Grid. 

I hope to get back to posting much more on this forum soon.  Realistically, it will be after RMAF. 

I also haven't had time to send out a newsletter to everyone on the list (sorry), but hopefully before the show.  If you have questions not already addressed in this thread, please email me. 

Thank you,

Vinnie

« Reply #36 on: 2 Oct 2018, 11:12 pm »

Wow, looks stunning for sure, hope i could give it a listen at some point.

Just, so, - there seems nowhere mention of them - the Ultracaps are out?
Still believe these were what made the difference, but what do i know?

And those Pickering Relais in the volume control - they are even quieter than theones used in the LIO?

Just curious...

.. and still super happy with the Lio as it is, so much music...

Thank you!!!

C,-wolfgang

Vinnie R.

« Reply #37 on: 2 Oct 2018, 11:34 pm »
Hi wolfgang,

Wow, looks stunning for sure, hope i could give it a listen at some point.

Thank you!

Just, so, - there seems nowhere mention of them - the Ultracaps are out?
Still believe these were what made the difference, but what do i know?

Correct, and see:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=158150.msg1693845#msg1693845

And for the L2 Preamp, the use of the linear Belleson super-regulators for every voltage rail and
stage (as well as separate ones for the L2 Phonostage and L2 Dac module options) results in an even
lower noise floor than LIO.

And those Pickering Relais in the volume control - they are even quieter than theones used in the LIO?

They are very quiet when they switch through the volume settings, just like the relays used on the LIO AVC/Tubestage module.

.. and still super happy with the Lio as it is, so much music...

Awesome! - and LIO will remain in production, and the L2 Dac and L2 Phonostage are compatible with LIO, too.

I have not had time to post much about the L2 Phonostage, but it's a significant improvement of the LIO Phonostage in every
possible way.  I teamed up with Brian Lowe of Belleson for its design (and yes, it uses two Belleson SPZ super regulators).
Details can be found on the L2 Preamp webpage (then click on the L2 Phonostage tab).

L2 Dac is based on the LIO DAC 2.0, but its main voltage regulator (which feeds all the down-stream linear regulators) is a Belleson SPZ.

Cheers, and thanks again!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #38 on: 3 Oct 2018, 05:04 pm »
L2 Signature Preamplifier - ready for RMAF, in 'king suites' 3018 and 4024!  8)

See you there!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #39 on: 15 Oct 2018, 06:35 pm »
Some quick updates 10/15/18:

1) RMAF2018 was an overwhelming success:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160099.0

And it is official now that I'll be showing at New York Audio Show next month:
https://www.chestergroup.org/newyorkaudioshow/2018

2) I recently began shipping L2 Signature Preamplifiers, and am finishing and shipping a couple of more this week.  Thanks for all your patience!

3) Next week, I'll have the Elrog 300Bs (finally!) and can't wait to hear them with the L2, and start making detailed comparisons:

:idea: Elrog 300B
:idea: KR PX4
:idea: KR T-100
:idea: TAK 300B

I want to carefully evaluate each tube, make sure I level-match after swapping between them (they each result in slightly different gain, which ranges from around 7 to 10dB, depending on the tube)

[I also have a trade-in LIO DHT Preamp here (already accounted for) and will get moving on testing those KR T-100s with it to confirm how they work with it].

4) I will be posting some measurements of the L2 Signature Preamp (hopefull by this weekend), for both testing it with the stock 300B tubes, and testing it in "DHT Bypass" mode (just using the JFET stage). 

I have already updated the Specifications section on the website.

5) I need to make time to also go into more detail about the L2 Phonostage... it is incredible sounding!  :drool:

I'll get there!  :hyper:

Thanks again!

Vinnie