grungebuster Dots vs Isoblocks

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
grungebuster Dots vs Isoblocks
« on: 7 Apr 2010, 08:53 pm »
Hi. Herbie's Audio Lab has many customers using standard (1.6mm thick) grungebuster Dots under maple and other platforms. Lots of customers have replaced Isoblocks (cork/rubber sandwiches) with four 1" diameter grungebuster Dots ($1.45 each) under their maple platform and reported improvement over the Isoblocks.

Whether a platform is maple, Baltic birch plywood, granite, or other material, isolating with grungebuster Dots is usually the best and most cost-effective method of decoupling the platform/shelf interface (or between platform and bare floor).

Herbie's grungebuster Dots provide a simple vibration-absorbing interface that blocks the transfer of much of the vibration that travels between solid surfaces, allowing the platform to function more efficiently. Keeps a low profile and "tight" stability. For more severe conditions like an amplifier platform on a suspended wood floor, Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots are ideal. Between the platform and component, Herbie's compliant footers are recommended for optimal component isolation.

For loudspeaker applications, Herbie's Audio Lab recommends dBNeutralizer Fat Dots:

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 01:00 am by Herbie »

mdfoy

Re: grungebuster Dots vs Isoblocks
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2010, 06:27 pm »
Herbie,

Are 1 set of extra thick grunge buster dots under a maple block amp stand on a suspended hardwood floor enough?  I currently have extra firm tenderfeet under the platform.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2010, 08:40 pm »
If you're using compliant feet like Tenderfeet or Iso-Cups between the amp and platform, Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots between the platform and floor will in most cases provide more than adequate isolation/decoupling.

If you're using the factory feet or rigid coupling devices like cones under the amp, it's hard to say, with so many possible variables involved in the vibrational environment.

Tenderfeet are usually used under the component instead of under the platform, but they usually do very well under platforms also.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 01:00 am by Herbie »

mdfoy

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2010, 12:43 pm »
Herbie,

I must congratulate you on another excellent product.  The extra thick grungebuster dots between the floor and the platform do make a difference. This allowed me to use the tenderfeet on the components, and the combination is very good. :o  Things tightened up, especially bass and imaging. I may have to mess around with speaker placement, which is now easily done with your gliders.   You are the man!