Another amp suggestion thread

Nuance

Re: Another amp suggestion thread
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jan 2011, 03:06 pm »
By the way I currently have a Anthem D2v paired with the D-Sonic Magnum 2000 and that combonation along with the Anthem Room Correction software will be my system for a long time.

There is nothing like it.
Well I had the A51 paired with a Halo C2 processor, beautiful to look at but horrible to listen to.

This hobby offers many options to choose that sound good in certain invironments, but for someone who has heard none of the options they offer is  :duh: :duh: :duh:

And I've heard that D-sonic in my system (and others) and thought IT was not a good amp.  To each their own. 

This is a good example of why you need to audition, preferably in your own system.  Good luck to you, jd3.

jd3

« Reply #21 on: 1 Jan 2011, 05:36 pm »
It's sure a difficult choice with so many 'flavors' of amps out there.  I'd really like to find an amp that I can live with long term without having to go through amp after amp (and lots of $$) til I find the right one.  But, as is obvious, what works for one person doesn't for the next.  The search goes on.....

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 1 Jan 2011, 05:48 pm »
Do you have any local AV shops around, jd3?  Take a Saturday this month and make it an audition day. Also, websites like Audio Advisor allow a 30-day trial period, so if you aren't satisfied you can get a refund.

jd3s wife

« Reply #23 on: 1 Jan 2011, 06:15 pm »
  I'd really like to find an amp that I can live with long term without having to go through amp after amp (and lots of $$).
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :inlove:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jan 2011, 06:28 pm »
Given your budget, there are limited choices.  I also know you have a smaller room and you really don;t need many watts for those speakers in that room.  There was a nice pair of Quicksilver monos for $1300:  http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1297366087&/Quicksilver-Audio-MONO-100-mon

Here is a nice pair of Monarchy monos:  http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1296762783&/Monarchy-Audio-SE100-Mono-Amps

I've got some balanced cables I can sell you that are long.

I would buy these Rogues w/o hesitation: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1299086764&/Rogue-Audio-M-120-Magnum-Mono-
They won't last the day.

jd3

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jan 2011, 07:34 pm »
Do you have any local AV shops around, jd3?  Take a Saturday this month and make it an audition day. Also, websites like Audio Advisor allow a 30-day trial period, so if you aren't satisfied you can get a refund.
Not anymore.  I would have to take a road trip. I've bought from AA before (they are fairly local to me), but they really don't have anything I'm considering in my price range.   I may reconsider my budget and see if I can 'reach' some more.   

jd3

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jan 2011, 07:35 pm »
Given your budget, there are limited choices.  I also know you have a smaller room and you really don;t need many watts for those speakers in that room.  There was a nice pair of Quicksilver monos for $1300:  http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1297366087&/Quicksilver-Audio-MONO-100-mon

Here is a nice pair of Monarchy monos:  http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1296762783&/Monarchy-Audio-SE100-Mono-Amps

I've got some balanced cables I can sell you that are long.

I would buy these Rogues w/o hesitation: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1299086764&/Rogue-Audio-M-120-Magnum-Mono-
They won't last the day.

Thanks Pete.

Nuance

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jan 2011, 08:00 pm »
Wow, that's a great price on those Rogue monoblocks...

flintstone

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jan 2011, 08:45 pm »
To expand on Big Red Machine's post........The Rogue M-120 Magnum is exactly what you asked for in your post (I own a pair for around 5 years).....the Quicksilver amps are "very" nice sounding (I listened to a pair of V4's) before I bought my Rogues a few years back.

My Rogues replaced my long time Krell amp....they have Krell like bass (the smaller Krells of course).........something the Quicksilver can't do, and the only reason I passed on them (they are more tubeeeee sounding than the Rogue amps)....not a bad thing if you don't have fullrange speakers IMO.

I own an Outlaw MC amp.....great for the price.

Dave

newzooreview

« Reply #29 on: 1 Jan 2011, 10:51 pm »
Okay, I'm throwing my .02 into the mix.

I have a pair of SongTowers that I've run with a few different set-ups.

First was a AVA Insight Amp/T8 pre/Insight DAC combo. This was a very nice sounding set-up but I found it very forward and I experienced listener fatigue after approx. 20 min. There was a harshness to the treble that just did a number on my ears.

I bought a Vista Audio i34 next. I really enjoyed the smoothness of this little integrated. Great imaging and fullness without the harshness. What I missed was the authority in which the AVA gear just brought the bottom end out. I still own this amp and will probably use it for a second system sometime in the future.

I'm now running a Wyred ST500 Amp/DAC 2 combo. This set-up gives me the tube-like sound of the i34 (yes, I was surprised of this too!) with the nice tight, authoritative bottom end. It drives the SongTowers with ease, and really makes them sing. I'll be keeping this system together for a long time.

I was very apprehensive about going class D, but now I'm glad I made the switch!

Doug

Very interesting, baumer. I also auditioned* an AVA pre-amp and amp combination (AvaStar and FetValve Ultra+ 550 with double die option), and I also found them very forward, with an upper mid-range emphasis that kept causing me to turn the volume down. The amp also had a slight buzz in the transformer (AVA said it wouldn't affect the sound, suspected that it was due to some DC on my A/C line, and was willing to replace it if I had kept the amp).

In any event, I returned them and got the Wyred4Sound SX-1000 monoblocks and STP-SE preamp: no fatigue, no upper midrange emphasis, no loss of detail or bass or anything else. Just terrific music (and a much more convenient pre-amp that lets me switch sources with the remote and adjust phase on the fly).

*By auditioned I mean that I bought them and had them in my system for a couple of weeks and returned them under the AVA 30-day money back guarantee. The glare that I heard in the upper midrange drove me to surround the speakers with sound panels. That did not solve the problem, but I kept the panels anyway, and it sure made the Wyred4Sound setup sound good.
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2011, 03:43 am by newzooreview »

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #30 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:39 am »
And I've heard that D-sonic in my system (and others) and thought IT was not a good amp.  To each their own. 

This is a good example of why you need to audition, preferably in your own system.  Good luck to you, jd3.

I guess that begs the question did you hear the D-Sonic with Salk Speakers and which ones?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #31 on: 2 Jan 2011, 04:30 am »
System synergy is what makes it happen, which is why it's so hard to drop a lot of cash on a well regarded brand amp and then be disappointed in it's performance.  :(   I've considered all of the amps mentioned, and I guess at this point it will be deciding over the next month or so which way to go.  More suggestions are welcome though!   Thanks.

John

I've heard Bill's Salk HT-3 system John with those awesome D-Sonic Magnum-5 amp/Antham D2v processor components and I can attest to his system synergy. Simply awesome sound stage, especially with the EE Dac, and Salk loudspeakers just love all that crystal clear sounding power no matter what the volume is. You'd be hard pressed to do better than what I listen to each time I journey over to Bill's place. I don't know what Nuance has listened to but it sure as hell hasn't been Bill's setup and I can't help but believe even he would be impressed.  8)

The only complaint I have with Bill's HT-3 system is that it takes me a few days to reaclimate myself to my own system each time I visit Bill. It's a real PIA.  :duh:   :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Nuance

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:10 am »
I guess that begs the question did you hear the D-Sonic with Salk Speakers and which ones?
Yes, mine.  I've also heard the D-Sonic powering other speakers, some nicer than ours.

Nuance

« Reply #33 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:33 am »

I've heard Bill's Salk HT-3 system John with those awesome D-Sonic Magnum-5 amp/Antham D2v processor components and I can attest to his system synergy. Simply awesome sound stage, especially with the EE Dac, and Salk loudspeakers just love all that crystal clear sounding power no matter what the volume is. You'd be hard pressed to do better than what I listen to each time I journey over to Bill's place. I don't know what Nuance has listened to but it sure as hell hasn't been Bill's setup and I can't help but believe even he would be impressed.  8)

The only complaint I have with Bill's HT-3 system is that it takes me a few days to reaclimate myself to my own system each time I visit Bill. It's a real PIA.  :duh:   :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Nope, never heard his setup.  He never invited me, nor do I think he ever would.  I'd probably like it, though, but who knows. 

mchuckp

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:45 pm »
For those of you who mentioned you run W4S amps, how do you stomach the power consumption?  I'm thinking about going from tube back to SS in my amp and was considering W4S based on many user reviews but not sure I can live with burning 15w in standby and 30w idle.  Guess I'm just a hippie.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #35 on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:54 pm »
For those of you who mentioned you run W4S amps, how do you stomach the power consumption?  I'm thinking about going from tube back to SS in my amp and was considering W4S based on many user reviews but not sure I can live with burning 15w in standby and 30w idle.  Guess I'm just a hippie.

So Class A is never gonna happen for you?

How about the off switch?  I never leave my stuff powered when not listening.

mchuckp

« Reply #36 on: 29 Jan 2011, 10:03 pm »
So Class A is never gonna happen for you?

How about the off switch?  I never leave my stuff powered when not listening.

I don't mind so much if I'm actually using it.  I just don't like to burn that much power the other 22 hrs of the day.  Maybe I'm wrong but I get the sense that on the W4S, I'd have to unplug it to stop using the 15w standby.  Not gonna do that.  I like that the amp and preamp I have now is actually OFF when turned off.

PJam1995

« Reply #37 on: 29 Jan 2011, 10:07 pm »
I have songtowers(love them!!) and soon will order the matching center. My question is what everyone thinks of emotiva amps and equipment? I currently have the onkyo 606 receiver but would like to upgrade my souce. I am exploring the emotiva xpa-5  @200 watts x 5 channels and the new preamp xsp. The xsp will be replacing the umc preamp in March. What do you think? Thanks. Scott 

revrob

« Reply #38 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:04 am »
I have HT3s paired up with Wyred SX-1000 monos and a Joule LA-150 MKII preamp and it is a great combination. I leave the Wyred on all the time and they never get warm.

Very good sound and great value. I bought the Wyred used for $1500 on the A'Gon.

Good luck.

jd3

« Reply #39 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:12 am »
Just as an update, I've got a pair of Red Dragon Mono's I'm auditioning:

http://www.reddragonaudio.com/products/m-500-monoblocks/

So far, not too bad.  I've never been a big believer that an amp needs to 'break-in', but these amps definitely sound different each day I use them.  They do have lots of bass, but also a lot of treble emphasis, at times almost harsh, depending on the quality of the recording.  I figured my BAT pre would tame that a bit more, but we'll see how they settle in.