Another amp suggestion thread

jd3

Another amp suggestion thread
« on: 26 Dec 2010, 09:34 pm »
I'm looking to upgrade the amp I'm using for my HT-1 TL's.  I currently have a Forte 4A, and though the amp provides detail I'd not heard with the previous amp I'd had hooked up (Outlaw 7500), my wife mentioned the other day that it sounds kind of thin to her...so, apparently it's time for a new amp!!  The Outlaw provided a lot of punch but not as much refinement.  At this point, I'm looking for something that can provide some additional bass but don't want to give up the refinement and detail I have now.  My pre is a BAT 3i, so I'd like something with balanced inputs and solid state vs.tubes.  I've been looking at Wyred amps, or perhaps one of Tommy's (DAC) amps. Any suggestions from current HT1-TL owners?  Oh, and my budget is around $1800 new or used.  Thanks for any suggestions.

kip_

Re: Another amp suggestion thread
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2010, 01:40 am »
My first choice would be the DAC Cherry Jr. You could also consider an AVA Fet Valve 350 or Ultravalve, Odyssey Stratos Extreme

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2010, 01:41 am »
You know what I have for you!

greenhouseman

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2010, 04:12 am »
Own STRT's and really quite content with W4S ST-500. Well worth considering at your price point.

jd3

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2010, 11:28 am »
You know what I have for you!

Yeah, but I don't know if I can wait til you decide to upgrade!  Besides, I'm starting to wonder if I want a 100 lb. amp to move.  I'd still consider it though.

Thanks for suggestions so far.  I've corresponded with Klaus, but not sure of the cost to upgrade Frank's amps to balanced inputs.  On the Class D front I also looked at Red Dragon's amps (great price) and D-Sonic (which supposedly are sourced by Wyred).

TJHUB

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2010, 12:44 pm »
I am VERY happy with my Odyssey Stratos Extreme (mono blocks).  I think they have provided exactly what you are looking for with my setup (HT2-TLs).  I was surprised at the level of change going from my previous Emotiva amp and then to a Parasound 2250.  The Odyssey was really a huge improvement.

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2010, 05:30 pm »
I am VERY happy with my Odyssey Stratos Extreme (mono blocks).  I think they have provided exactly what you are looking for with my setup (HT2-TLs).

You're saying that one can find them at the OP's $1800 price point?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2010, 06:08 pm »

Yep.

That's about what I sold a pair for a while back.

George

TJHUB

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2010, 08:17 pm »

Yup.  I purchased mine under 3 years old for quite a bit less than that (although I admit I stole them :wink: ).  A used stereo Stratos would be much cheaper.

newzooreview

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2010, 02:32 am »
I own one of the first few pairs of the HT1-TLs, and I can strongly recommend a pair of Wyred4Sound Monoblocks. I have the SX-1000s, but if you're sticking strictly to the $1800 price then a pair of SX-500s will do nicely. I expect that I don't really need the 500 watts per channel, but the amps are compact and run cool, so I went ahead and got the extra power. They control the HT1-TLs effortlessly and provide beautifully tuneful bass as well as nuance and subtlety when the music requires it. I will not be worrying about amps for a long time, and when you get ready, the STP-SE preamplifier is really wonderful as well.

jd3

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2010, 11:09 am »
I own one of the first few pairs of the HT1-TLs, and I can strongly recommend a pair of Wyred4Sound Monoblocks. I have the SX-1000s, but if you're sticking strictly to the $1800 price then a pair of SX-500s will do nicely.

Thanks for the input.  Good to know they work well with the HT1-TL's.  I'm kind of leaning toward class d amps, and the Wyred's have been recommended to me before. 

John

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2010, 07:46 pm »
Used BAT or Parasound Halo A21.

My advice would be to stay away from the Digital amps.  It's only my opinion, but I feel that they add color, and some roll off the top end.  YMMV.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2010, 08:18 pm »
I currently have a D-Sonic Amp driving my HT-3's and Center, 525 watts/channel and nothing has sounded better, beautiful tight bass with sparkling highs and a huge 3D soundstage.

I previously had a Parasound Halo that just didn't cut it, very harsh sounding with a small soundstage and no depth.

MichiganMike

« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2010, 09:25 pm »
I currently own and use three Parasound Halo amps, A21, A51 and A23.  The A21 and A51 are a step-up from the A23 with more power and more watts in Class A operation.  IMHO, I have experienced few amps in the same price range that offer sound more lifelike than the Parasound Halo A21 and A51.  In my experience, with the right preamp and source the A23 offers excellent value providing a solid soundstage and clear imaging with my SongTowers, albeit with less power in reserve for difficult loads or inefficient speakers.

Bill@LakeGeorge clearly had a different experience with his Halo amp.  He did not report which Halo amp model he used or the preamp.  Harsh sound and limited soundstage may also be attributable to a poor match between the preamp and amp.  YMMV.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2010, 01:25 am »
Well I had the A51 paired with a Halo C2 processor, beautiful to look at but horrible to listen to.

This hobby offers many options to choose that sound good in certain invironments, but for someone who has heard none of the options they offer is  :duh: :duh: :duh:

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2010, 01:30 am »
By the way I currently have a Anthem D2v paired with the D-Sonic Magnum 2000 and that combonation along with the Anthem Room Correction software will be my system for a long time.

There is nothing like it.

jd3

« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2010, 11:29 am »
This hobby offers many options to choose that sound good in certain invironments, but for someone who has heard none of the options they offer is  :duh: :duh: :duh:

System synergy is what makes it happen, which is why it's so hard to drop a lot of cash on a well regarded brand amp and then be disappointed in it's performance.  :(   I've considered all of the amps mentioned, and I guess at this point it will be deciding over the next month or so which way to go.  More suggestions are welcome though!   Thanks.

John

Saturn94

« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2010, 02:24 pm »
I bought a Parasound Classic 5250 early this year and have been extremely pleased with it.  It certainly doesn't sound "harsh" nor is it lacking in soundstage width/depth.  I have it paired with an Anthem AVM20 processor.

Currently I'm not using Salk speakers (using ADS L1290), but that will change next month (HT2-TL on order :D).

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Parasound amp.

MichiganMike

« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec 2010, 03:52 pm »
Well I had the A51 paired with a Halo C2 processor, beautiful to look at but horrible to listen to.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  My own experience differs.  I have a Halo C2 processor connected to Halo A51 and A21 amps powering Von Schweikert speakers in a 7.1 system that I and most guests agree provides excellent music reproduction.  Synergies with different speakers and the inherent subjectivity of the audio experience may explain our contrasting opinions. 

There are numerous very positive professional reviews of the Halo C2 and A51, both individually and in combination.  See for example, http://www.ultimateavmag.com/surroundsoundpreampprocessors/1003parasound/   Your negative assessment gives truth to the old adage that there is no substitute for evaluating equipment in your system and listening room and judging it for yourself. 

baumer

« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2010, 05:27 pm »
Okay, I'm throwing my .02 into the mix.

I have a pair of SongTowers that I've run with a few different set-ups.

First was a AVA Insight Amp/T8 pre/Insight DAC combo. This was a very nice sounding set-up but I found it very forward and I experienced listener fatigue after approx. 20 min. There was a harshness to the treble that just did a number on my ears.

I bought a Vista Audio i34 next. I really enjoyed the smoothness of this little integrated. Great imaging and fullness without the harshness. What I missed was the authority in which the AVA gear just brought the bottom end out. I still own this amp and will probably use it for a second system sometime in the future.

I'm now running a Wyred ST500 Amp/DAC 2 combo. This set-up gives me the tube-like sound of the i34 (yes, I was surprised of this too!) with the nice tight, authoritative bottom end. It drives the SongTowers with ease, and really makes them sing. I'll be keeping this system together for a long time.

I was very apprehensive about going class D, but now I'm glad I made the switch!

Doug