Need advice on cost effective speakers

grantc79

Re: Need advice on cost effective speakers
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2014, 12:56 am »
Probably going to add an outlet SVS sub too :)

Doublej

« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2014, 01:48 am »
What are you going to use for electronics?

grantc79

« Reply #22 on: 11 Aug 2014, 02:14 am »
I already have an Integra receiver that is about 3 years old that is doing just fine. I have an Emotiva XPA 5 that I wouldn't mind leaving with the house.

Really the only things of value that I would be leaving would be a bunch of seating that I really don't want to work down winding stairs, a Sony projector, and a Stewart Grey G4 130 inch screen.

The projector and screen will cost about 6k to replace but I can deal with that for what it will fetch in house price.

Mudslide

« Reply #23 on: 11 Aug 2014, 02:42 am »
Alright,

1: I'm a realtor, real estate investor, and home builder.
2: The house is a 1.5 story home and the media room is located above the main living area, it is cheap footage to build. We call them bonus rooms because of this.
3: Bonus rooms above main living areas cost a fraction of what the actual main living area square footage costs to build.
4: Bonus rooms are typically worth less than what actual living area is worth.
5: A finished media room makes a bonus rooms value on par or above normal living footage value.

By my estimates having the room finished with a projector, screen, seating, etc the room as a working media room is probably worth to the right buyer about 60 dollars PSF more than if it were just bonus footage.

The room is roughly 750 SF which means about a 45,000 difference.

All that being said I have spoken with Dennis and I'm getting some of his affordable accuracy speakers for up there, I believe they will do perfect.

Great choice, Grant.   :beer: 

Saturn94

« Reply #24 on: 11 Aug 2014, 02:59 am »

charmerci

« Reply #25 on: 11 Aug 2014, 06:43 am »
I know that Dennis spends several hours on the affordable accuracy speakers and imo, it would be a shame if the people who bought the place don't care and then give away those speakers - getting lost in the BB crowd of speakers, replacing them with a "lifestyle" system. Most people aren't really concerned about accurate sound, as long as it goes 'sssss' and BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, they love it.   :(

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #26 on: 11 Aug 2014, 01:35 pm »
If you want to dress up the room, frankly I'd go for popular glitz as most buyers don't have a discerning ear.  Keep in mind who you'd be buying this for (an average joe, his kids, and his party buddies).

Big speakers could turn off disinterested females, but bells and whistles should sell.  Consider leaving just a sound bar (they're popular), minimal/matching rear channels, and something like a BIC F12 sub would be reasonable impressive.  Again, you buying for an unknown customer, don't over do it.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #27 on: 11 Aug 2014, 02:09 pm »
If you want to dress up the room, frankly I'd go for popular glitz as most buyers don't have a discerning ear.  Keep in mind who you'd be buying this for (an average joe, his kids, and his party buddies).

Big speakers could turn off disinterested females, but bells and whistles should sell.  Consider leaving just a sound bar (they're popular), minimal/matching rear channels, and something like a BIC F12 sub would be reasonable impressive.  Again, you buying for an unknown customer, don't over do it.

+1!  People buy houses with empty laundry rooms because they usually have their own W&D.  Check Craigslist to see all the people selling their HT gear because the can't take it with them.  Insignia receiver?  Leave it!  Go with the recommendations to leave enough gear to keep it turn-key operational, nothing more.

macnoob

« Reply #28 on: 11 Aug 2014, 03:08 pm »

Bose system from Costco would impress 99.5% of your potential buyers.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #29 on: 11 Aug 2014, 05:26 pm »
Grant

Show the home with your system on and make that a selling point of what the room can do
have them sit down and listen to the sound quality and see part of a movie
but don't leave anything there

your selling point is you build homes and the ht area is a critical plus in modern homes

you can suggest Salk, expecially because the waf factor with Jim's beautiful wood finishes

possibly putting/leaving an inexpensive lcd on the wall if that's a selling point

genjamon

« Reply #30 on: 11 Aug 2014, 05:39 pm »
Tell them you'd be happy to give them the brands/model info of all your equipment and even put them in touch with the manufacturers you know, and if they'd like help ordering equipment you might consider offering your help.  Make your consulting to get the most out of this room you know so well a selling point of the sale as well.  Just a thought.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 11 Aug 2014, 05:55 pm »
Just ask yourself, "Do I want to be smart about this? Or do I want to be an audiophile?". That should guide you in the right direction. It's easier to add than subtract. If they see it, they want it --- even if they don't really want it. Best to empty everything out of the place - everything - before you list.
Then, as a contractor, you can furnish anything they want at an additional charge. Otherwise, if it's in the building, they will probably try to muscle it away from you or, at the very least, leverage the price down due to exclusion. If the room is prewired, that's a selling point.

genjamon

« Reply #32 on: 11 Aug 2014, 07:36 pm »
I just sold my house while living in it and with my entire system still set up and operational.  It seems pretty simple to me.  House listings usually state if any appliances come along with the sale.  I would count the system as an appliance in this case.  Simply state that kitchen appliances stay, maybe washer and dryer if you're leaving those too, and note the system does not go along with the sale.  Here is where you could mention any support/consulting you're willing to provide in spec'ing/ordering their own system. 

However, if the house is empty already and no one living there, I agree with macrojack that you should just get your system out of there.  In your listing provide a picture of the room with the system set up and describe the room as pre-wired and/or designed for HT, but also provide a picture without the system in it and don't have any of your equipment in there for tours.  Let people imagine their own stuff in the house as much as possible, without any of your stuff in the way, no matter how much you like it.  A completely empty house is really the best.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #33 on: 11 Aug 2014, 08:03 pm »
Sell it clean.  Don't offer to assist the buyer after the sale. Any number of things could go wrong at a time when buyer and seller are busy getting settled after their respective moves.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #34 on: 12 Aug 2014, 03:50 pm »
look up the LSA 5 channel home theater system on A'gon. Seems like a good deal for $2k, not including a sub. Visually very nice speakers and to a potential buyer who isn't a critical listener they may be blown away by their look and sound.

grantc79

« Reply #35 on: 12 Aug 2014, 09:22 pm »
I love how I ask people for speaker advice in a speaker forum and then all the sudden this turns into Love it or List it on HGTV.....  :duh:

Saturn94

« Reply #36 on: 15 Aug 2014, 03:16 am »
I love how I ask people for speaker advice in a speaker forum and then all the sudden this turns into Love it or List it on HGTV.....  :duh:

:lol:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #37 on: 15 Aug 2014, 09:54 am »
Focus on the task at hand - selling the house, not a sound system.  Most advise to de-personalize the house, keep it (and as mentioned above the deal) as clean as possible.

You could list with the system as an appliance option, but few would be interested in your gear unless you practically give it away. 

I used to live in a town with lots of engineers (the highest per capita in the U.S. at that time) and a co-worker's wife sold real-estate.  Her #1 compliant of engineers was all the quirky/inventive stuff they'd done to the house that turned off most potential buyers.

Mudslide

« Reply #38 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:20 pm »
"I love how I ask people for speaker advice in a speaker forum and then all the sudden this turns into Love it or List it on HGTV.....:duh:"

The gift that keeps on giving.... :lol:

Grant, please let us know what you think of the Philharmonic Affordable Towers.  And good luck with your house sale.

grantc79

« Reply #39 on: 16 Aug 2014, 05:40 pm »
Focus on the task at hand - selling the house, not a sound system.  Most advise to de-personalize the house, keep it (and as mentioned above the deal) as clean as possible.

You could list with the system as an appliance option, but few would be interested in your gear unless you practically give it away. 

I used to live in a town with lots of engineers (the highest per capita in the U.S. at that time) and a co-worker's wife sold real-estate.  Her #1 compliant of engineers was all the quirky/inventive stuff they'd done to the house that turned off most potential buyers.

JLM thank you for the insight.

Please tell me what you do for a living so that I might advise you from my from limited knowledge of your job how you could possibly do better at it  :thumb:

Its one thing to have a media room completed and finished for a perspective buyer. That's a good thing.

Its another to be an engineer and turn your entire house into the video game crane so you can clean and declutter with a giant robot scooper that slides around the ceiling.  :icon_lol: