Electronics Recommendations for X-LS Encore (Budget)

Epikplatypus

Hi all,

I'm new to the audio space and am trying to put together a plan for my first system. After a fair bit of research, I currently have my eyes set on the X-LS or X-SLS kit because I like projects and woodworking, and I would like to keep costs low since it is my first system. It is difficult for me to choose electronics, however, because I don't know where the sweet spot for value would be for me. My plans for the system include a stereo setup (I do not plan on adding a subwoofer) that will be used for primarily music, but also possibly audio from a TV while streaming videos/movies, however not a home theater.

The Yamaha R-N303BL Stereo Receiver with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth & Phono ($300.00) interested me because it has bluetooth and wi-fi streaming built in, making it easy to stream music from my spotify. I will primarily be using spotify for music since I do not have a library of CD's or music files (Yes, I know about the Roon system and lossless audio and all that, but hey, its my first budget system, and I can't tell the difference yet). Otherwise I can take on another project of making a music streamer out of a Raspberry Pi and connecting that to a DAC and amplifier.

My biggest issue is that I have no idea where to start - should i be looking at $200 electronics, $500, $1000? Where is the sweet spot in value for electronics for these speakers in a first-time setup? Should I be looking at receivers or trying to get a streamer, DAC, and amplifier separately?

I would like to keep the electronics total cost to around $500 or less if possible.
Any recommendations for electronics would be greatly appreciated. I hope my question makes sense!

Best regards,
Epikplatypus

Hornfidelity

Re: Electronics Recommendations for X-LS Encore (Budget)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2020, 03:43 am »
Definitely go with separates.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2020, 05:27 am »
The PS Audio Sprout 100 is a good one box solution. It is an integrated amp, DAC, phono preamp, Bluetooth for streaming solution and has an optical input for audio from a TV. At $699 it's on the high end of your budget but it also packs a lot of performance for the price. PS Audio makes good gear with a focus on sound quality and have excellent customer support. If you find a fairly new one on the used market that would be a good way to go. They warranty their gear for three years and the warranty is transferable. That's how I bought my first PS Audio gear and have recently stepped up to their Stellar monoblocks.

Another company to look at is Schiit Audio.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2020, 03:27 pm »
I think something integrated like the Sprout Mike mentioned would be a great place to start. Separates seem kinda cool I suspect, but adds cost not just in components but with cabling as well. I also own Schiit and like the gear and company.

I set my grandson up with a NAD 3020 and X-LS Encores. The idea is good, I think. Unfortunately he tells me the NAD remote has stopped functioning.

Epikplatypus

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2020, 06:37 pm »
Thank you for the suggestions! I have watched PS Audio's videos before and heard of the Sprout, it looks like a great solution, albeit a little pricey.

I was doing some more searching and looking at Schiit Audio's Modi 3 DAC. I think I will be purchasing a Smart TV, which has Chromecast/streaming capability and therefore can output digital audio from spotify, so one setup i've been exploring is...

Schiit Modi 3 DAC - $100
Vista Spark ($350) or Emotiva A-100 Amplifier ($229) - these are both Class AB stereo amplifiers
And if I want to get a streamer instead of using Chromecast, I've seen a video showing how to make a hi-fi grade network streamer out of a raspberry Pi for about $100.

So total would range from $429 to $550, depending on the amplifier.

Any thoughts on these products I have mentioned above? Would the quality of these electronics be bottlenecking the speakers significantly?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2020, 06:47 pm »
I started my high end audio journey with NAD.  Then Bryston ( still sounds good after 20 years!) and eventually moved onto vacuum tube gear. 

If your primary source is going to be Spotify then go with the Yamaha. Spotify is pretty terrible sounding on a high-end system so best to keep things on the cheap side if that’s all you want.   

The next step up would be to listen to a lossless music service like Tidal or something else.  Then consider investing in separate components.  Schitt makes great gear at reasonable prices.  Add an outboard streamer or build one with the raspberry pi and you’ll have something that will sound better.

Since you don’t want a sub you should go full tower with the X-SLS Encore.  Another alternative would be a pair of X-CS Encore as monitors but then you need stands for them.  I have done both and honestly preferred the X-CS.  It’s a sealed cabinet.  The dual mids give you better power handling and have a meatier midbass.  Either way make sure you get the “Encore” tweeters as they are a lot better than the classic version.  Since you’re building them I also recommend getting No Rez from Danny to line the cabinets.  It definitely helps cut down cabinet resonance and improves clarity.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2020, 06:58 pm »
Actually Spotify can sound pretty decent if you get the Premium version, then set the streaming quality to Very High and then set the Volume Level to "Quiet (preserves dynamics)" in the user menu.

It still won't be high fidelity but it will sound MUCH better than the standard, compressed to hell settings.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2020, 07:13 pm »
I doubt I can be much help with most of that, as I have little experience with much of it. 

I do tend towards stupid TVs and smart ancillary components because monitors remained largely unchanged in the past, but that's a kind of dated idea. All in one is today's mantra in many things.

Sometimes used equipment is a way to move through some gear without experiencing the value drop and get where you want to go.

jeffh

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2020, 02:25 am »
Actually Spotify can sound pretty decent if you get the Premium version, then set the streaming quality to Very High and then set the Volume Level to "Quiet (preserves dynamics)" in the user menu.

Tyson, thanks for that! I just made those changes to my Spotify settings. 

Epikplatypus

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2020, 05:47 am »
Thank you all for the replies! I'm honestly surprised by the amount of feedback, I really appreciate it.

Just want to point out that I am using Spotify Premium, with Very High streaming settings, which, according to their website, is equivalent to 320kbit/s (https://support.spotify.com/us/article/high-quality-streaming/). I do have some ripped CD's in .flac but that is a tiny amount of the music I usually listen to. In the future I may go with Tidal for the lossless streaming.

corndog71, I don't see the X-CS Encore on the website? Is it discontinued? Also, I was planning on doing full tower for the extra bass!

Should I be looking at higher power amps? I called Danny and he said recommended 10W for X-LS, and then I've read a rule of thumb is 2X the watts for the amplifier. So a 20W/channel amp?

Jmitchell3

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2020, 11:06 am »

The x-cs encore is the x-cs classic with upgraded parts from x-ls encore. You can order it by phone.

Thank you all for the replies! I'm honestly surprised by the amount of feedback, I really appreciate it.

Just want to point out that I am using Spotify Premium, with Very High streaming settings, which, according to their website, is equivalent to 320kbit/s (https://support.spotify.com/us/article/high-quality-streaming/). I do have some ripped CD's in .flac but that is a tiny amount of the music I usually listen to. In the future I may go with Tidal for the lossless streaming.

corndog71, I don't see the X-CS Encore on the website? Is it discontinued? Also, I was planning on doing full tower for the extra bass!

Should I be looking at higher power amps? I called Danny and he said recommended 10W for X-LS, and then I've read a rule of thumb is 2X the watts for the amplifier. So a 20W/channel amp?

maty

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2020, 11:19 am »
320kbit/s  MP3?

My advice: if you only listen to music with that quality I would not spend much money on the stereo.

Tidal, depending on the type of music you listen to, the same advice.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2020, 01:42 pm »

The tower version of the X-CS Encore is called the X-MTM Encore. You would get two X-CS Encore kits then use the plans for the tower cabinets instead of the center channel cabs.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2020, 12:55 am »
The tower version of the X-CS Encore is called the X-MTM Encore. You would get two X-CS Encore kits then use the plans for the tower cabinets instead of the center channel cabs.

That was going to be my next suggestion since you want mo bass.  Those will definitely put out!

Call Danny for those.

WarmColors

« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2020, 06:32 am »
I think something integrated like the Sprout Mike mentioned would be a great place to start. Separates seem kinda cool I suspect, but adds cost not just in components but with cabling as well. I also own Schiit and like the gear and company.

I set my grandson up with a NAD 3020 and X-LS Encores. The idea is good, I think. Unfortunately he tells me the NAD remote has stopped functioning.

I am thinking of getting the NAD M33. I keep reading reviews and for some people its a hit or miss with NAD's quality. How long has your grandson had the 3020?
I can only imagine maybe NAD quality has been slipping, or the remote slipped from your grandson a few times? I am extremely indecisive either getting Schiit, or NAD?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2020, 02:50 pm »
I am thinking of getting the NAD M33. I keep reading reviews and for some people its a hit or miss with NAD's quality. How long has your grandson had the 3020?
I can only imagine maybe NAD quality has been slipping, or the remote slipped from your grandson a few times? I am extremely indecisive either getting Schiit, or NAD?

I bought the NAD used so don't know it's history. He's had it a couple of years now, but it sounds like remote malfunctioned early on. I don't know if you could view the failure as representative of the brand. At one time, they appeared to be a "higher performance, no frills" mfg., but I honestly don't know much about their focus in the market. It's the only piece I ever owned and that was fleeting.

WarmColors

« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2020, 03:12 pm »
I bought the NAD used so don't know it's history. He's had it a couple of years now, but it sounds like remote malfunctioned early on. I don't know if you could view the failure as representative of the brand. At one time, they appeared to be a "higher performance, no frills" mfg., but I honestly don't know much about their focus in the market. It's the only piece I ever owned and that was fleeting.

Okay well thank you for the update honestly.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2020, 03:17 pm »
A PS Audio Sprout might be your best bet, from a connectivity and sound quality standpoint.