ideal distances for setup

Al Garay

« on: 18 Jan 2003, 07:57 pm »
Hi,

What measurements have you found work best for setting up your 1801s? d1. Distance from back wall
d2. Distance apart
d3. Distance to your sitting area

I'm using:
d1 24-25" (2 feet)
d2 72" (6 feet)
d3 96" (8 feet)

I have heard that they image best with d1 (distance from back wall) of 4 feet. I have not tried that yet, may not have spousal approval.

Al

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Sounds about right to me
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2003, 05:39 am »
If you get them too far out into the room they will sound a little lean.  This is because the back wall partially reinforces the midbass in the @100-300hz region.

Dave

Al Garay

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2003, 06:31 am »
Hi Dave,

I like 24-25" away. Andy McIntyre agreed that the placement I'm using works well. We had a great time comparing the Bent Audio TX102 to his Grounded Grid pre-amp. It was very close... I give the edge to the Grounded Grid as having a more "you are there" presentation. However, it was not a big difference. My wife thought the TX102 imaged better. I really liked it when we added Andy's tweaked ART DIO. The 7volt ouput was welcomed by the TX102. Did not have to crank the volume as far and it gave a fuller sound, better tone to vocals and piano... more body, closer to the Grounded Grid.

I can't wait to try Jackman's Foreplay. Did you get a chance to test capacitors?

Al

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
No test yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2003, 10:00 pm »
The hold on my order for capacitors is because I like to consolidate things for shipping.  I am waiting for come crossover conclusions from Dennis Murphy with some test cabients I shipped on 12 Jan.  FedEx botched their delivery at Dennis Murphy's home AGAIN.  When Dennis resolves the X-over issues I'll place an order with Jeff.

Dave

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2003, 06:03 am »
So Al, have you got things ironed out a bit better than when I was over? Certainly sounds like it.

Al Garay

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2003, 04:01 pm »
Completely ironed out. The 1801's sound fantastic even with movies. With Darren's great help, the cabinets will look as good as they sound. Actually, they don't look too bad for a rockie. It's when you get up close and do the touch test that you notice the imperfections.

After seeing Ravi's cabinets, I realize I have much to learn about finishing from my master Darren.

Al