Flat kit??

JoshK

Flat kit??
« on: 15 Jan 2003, 06:01 pm »
Dave,

I am very intrigued by your speakers (as I have stated before).  I did notice that your waiting list for finished pairs is quite lengthy but the kit ships in a much more reasonable time frame.  My question is would it be reasonable/doable to ship flat unfinished cabinets as a way of splitting the difference?

I am not scared of woodworking, in fact, I am moderately good at woodworking but I live in a small apartment in NYC and have no access to the tools necessary to make all the cuts, etc.  However, I have no qualms with putting kits together, gluing, finishing, etc.  Would such a compromise of the two be possible?  Not looking to save money as much as time.

TIA,

Josh

Al Garay

Flat kit??
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2003, 05:10 am »
I just saw the cabinets that Darren Thomas built for Ravi. Absolutely gorgeous. He will be posting pictures soon. Had over 10 coats of hand-rubbed lacquer on Mahogany veneer and solid Honduran Mahogany baffle.

You should be reading comments from Darren soon on his cabinets.

Al

audiojerry

Flat kit??
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2003, 07:10 pm »
Maybe Brian Bunge could cut the panels per spec and ship them to you as a flatpack.

Darren Thomas

I can build you the 1801's if you like
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2003, 08:16 pm »
Hi Josh,

I am building the Ellis 1801's to the exact spec set by Dave Ellis with his blessing. I would be happy to build you a set if you like. I can also leave it unfinished so you can apply the finish when you get them if you prefer. Let me know if you are interested and we can get you set up. I can be reached at dagmandt@hotmail.com. I'm sending you a private message also.

Darren

Ravi

Flat kit??
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2003, 10:34 pm »
I don't think there is better man to build the 1801 cabinets than Darren.  He followed every spec that Dave Ellis recommends, from the double braces, to woofer tunnel scalloping, to using real lumber on the front baffle.  He has already built and finished 2 pairs of 1801s, both of them flawless.  To top it off he is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

I just picked up my cabinets yesterday, and Darren will hopefully be posting some the pictures he took.  Absolutely Gorgeous!

Nikko

Flat kit??
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2003, 10:52 pm »
Darren, did you use the 2-Ply Tapease veneer on Ravi's cabinets? That's the only place where I strayed from Dave's plans and I wish I hadn't. I used paper backed veneer and, as I think Al discovered, it's prone to bubbling. On one of my cabinets, on the very top, I have a very small and slight bubble. It's hard to see unless you're really looking for it or you run your hand over it but it still bugs me. Not enough to redo it though.  :nono:

Darren Thomas

Flat kit??
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2003, 03:42 am »
Quote from: Nikko
Darren, did you use the 2-Ply Tapease veneer on Ravi's cabinets? That's the only place where I strayed from Dave's plans and I wish I hadn't. I used paper backed veneer and, as I think Al discovered, it's prone to bubbling. On one of my cabinets, on the very top, I have a very small and slight bubble. It's hard to see unless you're really looking for it or you run your hand over it but it still bugs me. Not enough to redo it though.  :nono:

I used veneer that Ravi and Al had picked out. It happend to be paper backed but I'm used to working with it. I haven't had bubbling problems with it myself. I prefer to use 2ply though and recommend it. I've built 6 sets of speakers with paper backed but it can be risky if you have to sand much :) I'm pretty good with it now.

Darren

Al Garay

Flat kit??
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2003, 06:45 am »
Come on Darren. Show them your pictures. Ravi's cabinets turned out fantastic. Darren was crazy to put as much time and effort into them. 18 coats of hand rubbed lacquer ... sounds like a bar top finish.

You should have seen how carefully Ravi carried them to his car. He was so concerned about them... I bet it was the slowest trip back to Vancouver.

I'm relieved, exstatic (sp?) that my 1801s are finally sounding great. I'll have to write another thread when I have more time detailing my long journey. Unfortunately, I do not have a clear answer why the crossover was wrong. Solid physical connections and having the components in the right place makes a big difference... No Dah!

Now, I'm really starting to like the Bent Audio TX102 pre-amp. I could be very happy with my 1801's, AKSA 100 watt mono-blocks, TX102 and NAD T571 dvd/cd player ... until I get Jackman's Foreplay next week.  I'm finally able to appreciate the music.

Al

audiojerry

Flat kit??
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2003, 02:21 pm »
Hi Darren, I didn't mean to slight you before by mentioning Brian Bunge. I didn't know you existed. So, do you do this as a business, or just for friends? Would you be able to build pretty much anything? I plan on getting the very small Criterions from GR Research. If you had the specs for this cabinet, would you be able to build it either as a finished  or unfinished cabinet, or as a flatpack in 12 pieces? One problem would be the cost of shipping cost to Wisconsin, because the specs call for 1" sides and 1.25" fronts weighing around 70 pounds total.

Darren Thomas

Flat kit??
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2003, 02:37 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Hi Darren, I didn't mean to slight you before by mentioning Brian Bunge. I didn't know you existed. So, do you do this as a business, or just for friends? Would you be able to build pretty much anything? I plan on getting the very small Criterions from GR Research. If you had the specs for this cabinet, would you be able to build it either as a finished  or unfinished cabinet, or as a flatpack in 12 pieces? One problem would be the cost of shipping cost to Wisconsin, because the specs call for 1" sides and 1.25" fronts weighing around 70 pounds total.

No problem at all audiojerry, I know you didn't know about me :) Brian does good work too.

Yes, I have built several GR-Research enclosures. I have 5 AV1+'s for my home theater. If provided the cabinet specs I'd be happy to build you a pair of the Criterions but I'd have to look into the 1.25" MDF, I'm sure it's available in my area, just have to find a local supplier. What's your zip code? I'll let you know what it would cost to ship 70lbs insured ups ground. I am happy to build the MDF enclosure unfinished or with veneer alone or completed with the finish. It's up to you. That is one stout enclosure! I'm providing my services to anyone who needs enclosures built, I started out doing it for friends but have since had requests from forum members for my services so I'm putting together a website to showcase my work and list prices/services. Dave Ellis also contacted me and gave me a friendly shove in that direction.

Darren

Darren Thomas

Flat kit??
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2003, 02:46 pm »
Quote from: Al Garay
Come on Darren. Show them your pictures.
Al

I'll get some pics up soon, I promise! I have to get my website presentable also...you'd think a web dev would have a great site wouldn't you? Never happens that way :)

Darren

JoshK

Flat kit??
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2003, 03:29 pm »
Darren,

Thanks a lot for the offer.  Unfortunately, my wife and I decided to buy a car so I am going to have to wait a bit.  I may take you up on the offer down the road.

Darren Thomas

Flat kit??
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2003, 03:30 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Darren,

Thanks a lot for the offer.  Unfortunately, my wife and I decided to buy a car so I am going to have to wait a bit.  I may take you up on the offer down the road.

Congrats on the new vehicle! Not a problem, look me up later when you are ready.

Rocket

speaker/amp building
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2003, 01:48 am »
hello darren,

were you the person who built the aksa 100 monoblocks that al bought?

just wondering what amp your using at the moment?  i've just had built an aksa 100 and i'm pretty stoked with it, it's just replaced my battery powered n.e.w. amp (cost $3000 us).

i have to learn how to do all these diy projects, i feel like i'm missing out.

anyway good luck with your new business, i'd consider buying from you but i'm a bit too far away to ship to.

regards

rod

Darren Thomas

Re: speaker/amp building
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2003, 02:36 am »
Quote from: Rocket
hello darren,

were you the person who built the aksa 100 monoblocks that al bought?

just wondering what amp your using at the moment?  i've just had built an aksa 100 and i'm pretty stoked with it, it's just replaced my battery powered n.e.w. amp (cost $3000 us).

i have to learn how to do all these diy projects, i feel like i'm missing out.

anyway good luck with your new business, i'd consider buying from you but i'm a bit too far away to ship to.

regards

rod

Hi Rocket,

Nope, I wasn't the person who sold Al the amps but I did recently build an AKSA 100 3 channel amp. I agree, this is one awesome piece of engineering! I love mine, building a wood case for it now. I love it paired with the 1801's especially. :)

Darren

Brian Bunge

Flat kit??
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2003, 04:29 am »
Darren,

If you do build the Criterions have fun with that 1.25" MDF!  I couldn't find it here, but did get some 1.125" MDF.  Danny gave me his blessing to go with the 1.125" stuff.  It's extremely heavy!  The 1" stuff ain't light either!  We just got in a sheet of each last week.

Darren Thomas

Flat kit??
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2003, 05:42 am »
Quote from: Brian Bunge
Darren,

If you do build the Criterions have fun with that 1.25" MDF!  I couldn't find it here, but did get some 1.125" MDF.  Danny gave me his blessing to go with the 1.125" stuff.  It's extremely heavy!  The 1" stuff ain't light either!  We just got in a sheet of each last week.

Hi Brian,

Yeah, I wasn't looking forward to heaving a 4X8 of that stuff, was going to have it cut down to manageable size if I could find it. That is one beefy enclosure.

Darren

Brian Bunge

Flat kit??
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2003, 05:52 am »
We sure had fun carrying it out back to cut!

bubba966

Flat kit??
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2003, 08:24 am »
You guys are reminding me of the major pain in the ass time I had in college having to rip a 6/4 5'x12' sheet of industrial grade partical board for a required project. I was quite surprised to see what I need to rip up. I'd not seen 1 1/2" thick sheet material before, nor had I ever seen a 5'x12' sheet of IGPB. :o I wouldn't care to do that again anytime soon...

Needless to say it took 3 people assiting me to run that sucker through the tablesaw. There was a little :cuss: to go along with it that day as well.

Darren Thomas

Flat kit??
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2003, 03:11 pm »
Quote from: bubba966
You guys are reminding me of the major pain in the ass time I had in college having to rip a 6/4 5'x12' sheet of industrial grade partical board for a required project. I was quite surprised to see what I need to rip up. I'd not seen 1 1/2" thick sheet material before, nor had I ever seen a 5'x12' sheet of IGPB. :o I wouldn't care to do that again anytime soon...

Needless to say it took 3 people assiting me to run that sucker through the tablesaw. There was a little :cuss: to go along with it that day as well.

Ahhh, this is why I have a panel saw! The answer to all your heavy lifting questions!!! I love that thing, just need assistance to get the sheet in the saw and from there it's fairly easy. Then I can take the smaller pieces to the table saw. It's a life saver sometimes :)