M - 5 comming my way.

jazzman463

M - 5 comming my way.
« on: 6 Aug 2019, 12:27 pm »
DCM time windows gone, Audio Research SP-9 mk III gone, Emerald Physics CS3's gone, Marantz model 18 gone, Marantz 1070 gone, Klipsch KG4 and 5.5 gone, magnepan MG II's gone, Medley SP-3 gone, NAD 3020 gone, Adcom 555 gone, Zu Omen's gone, Thornes TD 125 mk II (backup ) gone, one climate controlled storage facility no longer needed, one happy wife, ...... ONE PAIR OF SPATIAL M-5's COMMING MY WAY !  ONE HAPPY ME.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: M - 5 comming my way.
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2019, 12:32 pm »
  Cool. Enjoy !!!

charles

Shakeydeal

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2019, 12:39 pm »
DCM time windows gone, Audio Research SP-9 mk III gone, Emerald Physics CS3's gone, Marantz model 18 gone, Marantz 1070 gone, Klipsch KG4 and 5.5 gone, magnepan MG II's gone, Medley SP-3 gone, NAD 3020 gone, Adcom 555 gone, Zu Omen's gone, Thornes TD 125 mk II (backup ) gone, one climate controlled storage facility no longer needed, one happy wife, ...... ONE PAIR OF SPATIAL M-5's COMMING MY WAY !  ONE HAPPY ME.

So everything is "gone"? You will just have a pair of speakers all alone in a room?????? :duh:

Shakey

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2019, 12:53 pm »
I think he is simply referring to an unnecessary surplus... :wink:

Shakeydeal

« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2019, 01:24 pm »
Yeah, I figured that. I was just messing with him.

So jazzman, when do your speakers arrive?

Shakey

jazzman463

« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2019, 05:04 pm »
I think 3 to 4 weeks. I will be using a Manley Stingray to power. I also keep one set of speakers ( Spica tc 50's ) for old time sake . Looking forward to hearing them , I have a 12 x 13 room so I think the M-5's will be a perfect fit. I did really loved the Emerald Physics CS 3's , Claytons design. He clams the new design will blow them away. The were the only speaker in that room that made me forget the Maggies. The MG II's were way to big for the room. The Zu's were nice but not quite as present. The OB's do put the music "in "the room. Peace guys and happy listening to you also.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2019, 05:43 pm »
I have owned Maggie 1.6s with modded xovers and stock 3.5rs. They have their strengths, but ultimately (for me) too many weaknesses. I moved on many years ago and haven't looked back.

Shakey

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2019, 02:05 pm »
I have a pair of M3 Sapphires on order and like you I can't wait to hear them.  My M3TM are by far the most unique speakers I have ever had.  The M5 and M3 are yet even more unique.  In fact the direct wired dome has me so curious that I am just counting the days.  Then there are the bass improvements over already very satisfying bass.  And also they have what I always wished my M3TM had which is a real wood veneer.  I just hope they live up to the excitement as I break them in and hear them.

James Edward

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2019, 06:43 pm »
I’m curious if I’m the only person wondering about the efficiency trade-off of the M3 Turbo S vs the M3 Sapphire.
The M3 Turbo at 94 dB vs M3 Sapphire at 92 dB might be significant for those of us using low powered amps. I know that every 3 dB increase in volume requires double the wattage. Admittedly, 92 dB efficiency in a speaker is still nice and high, but for those of us with low powered amps, I think it’s something to consider.
Thoughts?

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2019, 07:09 pm »
I have wondered about the drop in efficiency as well.  Though compared to my M3TM only 1 db loss in efficiency.  And I am using a solid state integrated (60 wpc Ragnarok 1st gen) so at 8 ohms vs 12 ohms I am thinking I will break even.  That said the M3TS while even more efficient than the M3TM is 4 ohms and it may not work as well with some tube amps as the M Sapphires at 8 Ohms.  Based on Claytons feedback for tubes it should be good match.  For low power solid state like a Pass First Watt like the F7 it would probably not play as loud as the M3TS.  That said I am thinking it would play plenty loud and play with full bandwidth and staging when playing loud.  For lower watt SET tube amps the X3 or X5 are going to be a better match.  However at least the M5 and M3 can be biamped and thus making a match to tube amp even better.  For example get a Schiit Vidar for the bass and a Tube amp to the dome.  I may use and idle 225 wpc NAD 218THX to drive the bass of the M3 Sapphire and my SS integrated to drive the dome.  I am considering a Raven Blackhawk as an amp upgrade which may be great biamped.  Just some thoughts.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2019, 01:28 am »
I have wondered about the drop in efficiency as well.  Though compared to my M3TM only 1 db loss in efficiency.  And I am using a solid state integrated (60 wpc Ragnarok 1st gen) so at 8 ohms vs 12 ohms I am thinking I will break even.  That said the M3TS while even more efficient than the M3TM is 4 ohms and it may not work as well with some tube amps as the M Sapphires at 8 Ohms.  Based on Claytons feedback for tubes it should be good match.  For low power solid state like a Pass First Watt like the F7 it would probably not play as loud as the M3TS.  That said I am thinking it would play plenty loud and play with full bandwidth and staging when playing loud.  For lower watt SET tube amps the X3 or X5 are going to be a better match.  However at least the M5 and M3 can be biamped and thus making a match to tube amp even better.  For example get a Schiit Vidar for the bass and a Tube amp to the dome.  I may use and idle 225 wpc NAD 218THX to drive the bass of the M3 Sapphire and my SS integrated to drive the dome.  I am considering a Raven Blackhawk as an amp upgrade which may be great biamped.  Just some thoughts.

Good question - the new models are actually easier to drive despite being slightly lower in sensitivity due to the virtual lack of crossover components - just an inductor in the bass section - so much less reactive. Your amp can more effectively deliver power into a low reactivity load like this.

Clayton

James Edward

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2019, 09:17 pm »
One more thing to consider, if I may... It also seems that the new model may not play as raucously loud and clean as the M3TS. I just wonder if the dome has more finesse than balls, for lack of a better phrase. Just keep these things in mind as you think about upgrading. I do like my music very loud and clean at times. Note to ear police: open floor plan and I listen as I go about the house.
 I say this with extreme respect of what Spatial has created. I had 10 people from my audio club over for a listen last month and they were impressed to say the least. My favorite comment: “ The more I listen to these (M3 Turbo S), the more I like them”. No small feat- audio club people look for faults more than anything.
I LOVE my M3 Turbo S speakers.
Carry on...

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2019, 09:54 pm »
Some interesting thoughts and something to consider.  There could be some trade offs which we will discover as we learn more about the new Sapphires.  I know when I play well recorded orchestra, think Telarc Cincinnati Pops, on my M3TM I play it very loud and it really sounds amazing being very powerful yet controlled, open, and with very good instrumental separation cleanly delineated.  Good thing there is another 60 day trial on the Sapphires so me and others can be sure about them.  I do have high hopes for them and I do hope they have the same great power with yet more transparency and finesse.  My curiosity is at a fever pitch.  Can't wait to unpack them.

jazzman463

« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2019, 08:58 pm »
In my small I am looking for a bit more transparency and the same,small room bass. If it keeps the musicians in the room with me I am a happy camper.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2019, 11:17 pm »
Notice that the description of the M5 has been updated on the Spatial Website along with the X5 and X3.

kheidenr

« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2019, 09:25 pm »
Any update on the arrival of your speakers guys?  I'm dying to hear feedback on these new models - the crossoverless design is very appealing to me if it brings the ultimate transparency with it.

jazzman463

« Reply #16 on: 29 Aug 2019, 12:02 pm »
I know , I am going koo,koo. The idea of open baffle with no crossover is too much. I am very much enjoying some time with my old buddies,  the Spica TC 50s but I am ready. The Emerald Physics( sold ) CS3's (Clayton's babies ) filled my space with sound like no other. If he has improved on that , ahhhhh .

bbybaudio

« Reply #17 on: 29 Aug 2019, 02:26 pm »
Although I only have about 27 hrs on the X5s, last night playing Playboy Jazz after dark II was enjoyable. The presence in the vocals, positions of the musicians and instruments really great. Because of the presence that these speakers have, I can listen at lower volume levels.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #18 on: 29 Aug 2019, 03:06 pm »
I too have found that I can enjoy the X-3s at lower volumes than I typically play my khorns at.

Shakey

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2019, 03:50 pm »
I too have found that I can enjoy the X-3s at lower volumes than I typically play my khorns at.

Shakey

That's impressive, as the Klipsch are no slouches at low level detail.  At least IME.