Loricraft PRC-3 Record Cleaning Machine

orthobiz

« on: 10 Apr 2004, 08:15 pm »
Just started using my PRC-3. Prior to this, all I ever had was the Discwasher system, a Rec-O-Vac and a Decca record brush. In college, a buddy of mine bought some LAST. To his horror, the next day the bottle was empty because it had evaporated through the little hole in the spritzer! Anyway, I digress...

...Just got back into my LP's. Luckily I used the Decca record brush most of all over the years and they are in overall good shape. But, I've picked up a few "moldy oldies" recently in need of some industrial strength cleaning. And my records haven't been played in over 14 years.

Along the way I looked at and read about various cleaners, Nitty Gritty, VPI, Clearaudio (similar to the Loricraft from what I can tell) and the legendary Keith Monks. Pricewise, the Loricraft falls in the middle at 1800 bucks. Featurewise, the vacuum arm runs like a turntable arm (check out Garrard501.com and smartdev.com for pics and more details) and rides the record grooves on a "sled" of nylon thread so the vacuum unit comes very close to, but does not actually touch, the record.

I saw a VPI at my "local" record store (200 miles from my boondock home in northwest lower Michigan; I live in "BFE," Midwesterners will know what that means). I could see that the brush traversing the entire recorded surface could have trouble negotiating warped records. The dealer charged a couple of bucks to clean a record so I figure eventually the Loricraft will pay for itself (yeah, right). I asked him to turn it on, sounded like a jet ready for takeoff and the store began to smell like moldy mushrooms (if that's not redundant).

I read the Bill Gaw review on the Loricraft, saw that some Stereophile reviewers list it in their system, read a couple of lines from Michael Fremer about how good it is and was convinced. So, I bought one!

First of all, it's not cheap but at least it is built like a truck and should survive any holocaust-level catastrophe. All of the parts are high quality, the arm is a brass and copper and aluminum machined wonder. At 11" tall, it's not easy to conceal, especially with its paradise blue cloth cover on top. It does run quietly enough. Documentation is scanty until you go to both the British (Garrard) and American (Smart Devices) websites where a wealth of information exists. For the bucks they could have easily supplied a CD-ROM with all the .mov and .pdf files you need.

Operation is straightforward: turn on the platter motor, use a nylon brush lightly on the surface to distribute the record cleaning fluid you spray in front of the brush. Then, turn on the arm motor (I'm not sure what it does but it is coupled to the arm via magnetism, probably slows the tendency to skate outward as the suction removes the fluid). Next, turn on the suction motor and place the tip of the "tonearm" next the label. So far it's been quiet to the point that my wife hasn't yet noticed it!

Finally, marvel as the fluid is diligently sucked up several grooves at a time in less than a minute, leaving the record clean and dust-free as the arm slowly and methodically drifts to the outer groove. Sonic results so far are excellent.

My copy of David Gates "First" is pretty warped but posed no problem to the Loricraft as the suction arm hugged the grooves. Apparently the Loricraft is not foiled by the increased thickness of the label and outer bead areas like some of the single brush units out there.

And speaking of brushes, each record is treated to a new piece of nylon thread so there is no worry of cross-contamination among your dirtiest discs. The spool of thread supplied should last for several hundred records at 1/4" of new thread per disc.

All in all an excellent unit. For an extra 200 bucks, you can get wood instead of the basic black I opted for. For 600 extra bucks you can get an even higher suction motor, recommended for record shops and other high volume applications. I don't feel that I'm lacking suction power when I use my unit (no double entendres intended).

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2004, 08:46 pm »
Orthobiz,

Yes you live in BF Egypt, but I like Cuz's 8 Ball as well as some other watering holes in your neck of the woods.

I have a friend that has 200 acres in LeRoy (now that is really BFE!) and we like to stay at McGuires and the Sands.

Glad to hear you like the Loricraft.

I use the Disc Doctor brushes and Miricle Cleaner and a Spin Clean to rinse them off.  About $100 all in.

I have also heard very good things about the Bugtussel enzyme cleaner (forget the name).

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2004, 09:07 pm »
Smartdev also sells the Buggtussel Vinyl-Zime product also. I haven't tried it. Not that it matters, but it's "Coz's" 8-Ball Lounge, not "Cuz's."

biz

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2004, 09:08 pm »
Great review Ortho.

Along with having used the other record cleaners you mention, I too have had experience with this machine howbeit under the Keith Monks name. The Loricraft is virtually the Keith Monks machine. It's method of cleansing is by far the best available and, yes, it is a little (or a lot) more expensive than some but the playback differences are clearly audible and in terms of value between a record collection and the compromises of a lesser machine, you did very well on choosing the Loricraft!  (I think that's what I meant. :? ) A great record cleaner to a valuable and/or treasured record collection is what a great room (treated and tuned) is to a high fidelity music system!

I have no affiliation with the distributor of the Loricaraft machine. I simply think the merits and advantages of this record cleaner should be recognized and what a great testament from an end user with genuine (and deservedly so) excitement. :bounce:

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2004, 09:28 pm »
Quote from: orthobiz
Not that it matters, but it's "Coz's" 8-Ball Lounge, not "Cuz's."

biz

:oops:   I thought you might have heard of it :wink:

Saw a nice fight at the Roaring Twenty's the last time I was there....very interesting place.  

I like Coz's better, but for a regular bar the Twenty's OK..well maybe a little on the rough side.

When the Sands was rocking it was better then Roaring 20's.  I heard it's trying to come back, but it was pretty lame this past October.

The best times I had were about 5-8 years ago in The Travelers in LeRoy.

I have some first hand stories about the single female Prosecuter that lives very close to that motel/bar :-)

What's sad is a guy says he lives in the middle of no where and I know the local strip club  :lol:  as well as other bars.  8)

Back to the subject..glad to see you're back into vinyl and even happier to see you got a killer cleaning machine.  Everyone who has a TT needs to have a decent way to clean their LPs.

What's your turntable/cart like?

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2004, 11:03 pm »
I have a Linn Sondek LP12
1970's model recently upgraded
with Cirkus, Trampolin, Rega 600,
Linn Adikt. Recently added a Clearaudio Syncro
power supply since I had the original Basik
power. Switching to a Lingo would have meant
1600 + more than 100 dollars for a new, 50 Hz
motor.

Initial impressions of the Clearaudio are good,
review to follow someday. Having pushbutton
45 rpm is a killer feature all by itself!

biz

P.S. Stay away from the Busy Bee!

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2004, 12:28 am »
Sounds like a very nice rig.

OK, you have my curiosity up, why not the Bee?

Smeggy

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2004, 12:45 am »
The worst condition LP I ever had to rescue was truly a mess. I couldn't think of anything in the record cleaning industry that could possibly remove so much crap, so I had a sudden brainwave. I stuck it in a big bowl of luke warm washing up liquid and gave it a good soak followed by a nylon dish brush to remove the heaviest gunk and then went down to a fine bristle 2" paint brush (like the ones for painting doorframes etc.) Rinsed it off under running water and left it to air dry. Cane out surprisingly good, apart from the label of course. Very few pops and clicks and no warping.

I wouldn't want to do this to every Record, but when there's little hope of salvage and it's something you really want to keep, it's a good emergency measure.