Before calling Klaus

WarmColors

Before calling Klaus
« on: 17 Jul 2020, 08:24 pm »
Hi all,

This will be my first time placing an order for a "custom" amp.
I emailed Klaus yesterday asking what information he needs, specifically speaker I will be using.

Is Klaus looking for crossover point? Or what information has he asked you when you placed your order?

Thank you.

GentleBender

Re: Before calling Klaus
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2020, 10:56 pm »
He normally asks what speakers you have and other components along with asking for to check voltage over a few days at different times. He is fun to talk to so make some time and call after 8pm.

WarmColors

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2020, 01:41 am »
He normally asks what speakers you have and other components along with asking for to check voltage over a few days at different times. He is fun to talk to so make some time and call after 8pm.

Check voltage really that in depth?
Does he ask about crossover points?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2020, 02:39 am »
Klaus will adjust the amp to your speaker, what are interesting to consider is if this your current speaker is a definitive speaker in your life, since Odyssey amps will lasts decades or more.

DeeCee

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2020, 04:00 am »
He didn’t ask about crossover points in my case. Line voltage is used to set bias for the amplifier (a nice touch you don’t find from many manufacturers.)

WarmColors

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2020, 04:15 am »
He didn’t ask about crossover points in my case. Line voltage is used to set bias for the amplifier (a nice touch you don’t find from many manufacturers.)

Again sorry for my ignorance, but again I'm new to the "custom" amp aspect. How do I check line voltages?

DeeCee

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2020, 04:25 am »
You can check using a multimeter or a voltage checker. You can find basic cheap meters on Amazon and other sites.

WarmColors

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2020, 04:31 am »
You can check using a multimeter or a voltage checker. You can find basic cheap meters on Amazon and other sites.

I have one in the garage.
What would you recommend. Check it three, four times every 3 hours and get the median?

DeeCee

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2020, 05:00 am »
I have one in the garage.
What would you recommend. Check it three, four times every 3 hours and get the median?
I checked a couple or 3 times a day fairly randomly: usually at my prime listening time. I simply averaged over several days. My power was pretty consistent. I averaged it.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2020, 01:29 am by DeeCee »

WarmColors

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2020, 08:48 pm »
I checked a couple of times a day fairly randomly: usually at my prime listening time. I simply averaged over several days. My power was pretty consistent. I averaged it.

Lol. I just realized what I wrote. Check 3-4 times every 3 hours? Lol. I would be checking every hour.

I've been checking every 3 hours. I've turned everything on around the house for a heavier system load and I am impressed I keep getting fairly consistent readings.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2020, 09:59 pm »
For those living in a building its useful discover how big is the building transformer if it have one dedicated, my condo use a in house 225KVA transformer, input is 13.800V output are 127V x three.

If the transformer are too small one could expect low quality mains.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2020, 01:21 am by FullRangeMan »

liptrader

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2020, 05:26 pm »
I use a Furman M-8Dx power conditioner that display the voltage 24/7. Also you get spike protection and a a convenient e
Way to plug all your equipment there. And 2 front lights if you care.