Free power cable demo...

Danny Richie

Free power cable demo...
« on: 18 Jul 2018, 08:07 pm »
Electra Cable has been working on a new version of their B-7 power cable that they can release at a more affordable price point. They have some made up and have asked me to see if my customers would be interested in giving them a try and giving feedback.

The power cable information is listed here: http://gr-research.com/electracableb-7spowercable-2.aspx

The new cable is built like the old one but uses three 16 gauge conductors of Teflon jacketed Silver coated Copper for hot and neutral. It still uses the 10 gauge Copper ground cable, and pure Copper contacts on both plugs just as before. They also added ESR paper shielding on the ends for greater RFI and EMI rejection.

I can offer these at the following prices if you decide to keep the demo units:

$199 for a 4 foot cable.
$219 for a 5 foot cable.
$239 for a 6 foot cable.
$259 for a 7 foot cable.
$279 for a 8 foot cable.

Just call to order: 940-592-3400  Use a credit card to cover the shipping and secure the Demo. You won't be charged for the cable unless you tell me that you want to keep it.

« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2019, 11:27 pm by Danny Richie »

Danny Richie

Re: Free power cable demo...
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2018, 12:10 am »
I sent out quite a few of these and the initial feedback has been really good. So I ordered some more demo units for sending out.

Let me know if you are interested in the free demo and I'll send some out to you.

patricksalter

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2018, 08:52 am »
Would these work on a high end home theater receiver?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2018, 01:20 pm »
Would these work on a high end home theater receiver?

If they have a removable power cable they will.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:40 pm »
A warning to anyone else thinking about our cable demos. So far none of the power cables that I sent out have been sent back. They've all been keepers.

I also recently sent out some of the Electra cable speaker cables on demo as well. Those don't come back either.

So be prepared if you demo cables from us. You are not likely to want to return them.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:46 pm »
Which speaker cables are you demoing?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:57 pm »
Which speaker cables are you demoing?

I've been sending out power cables and speaker cables.

I have some interconnects out on demo right now too, but they are still burning in.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2018, 08:37 pm »

I have some interconnects out on demo right now too, but they are still burning in.
Ooops - hit post by accident!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2018, 09:14 pm »

Whatever you do, do NOT take Danny up on this offer - you will end up spending more money on your system!

Danny was kind enough to send out some Electra Speaker Cables out for my Super 7's awhile back. I've been slowly burning them in and waiting til they had at least a couple of hundred hours on them before I did any serious comparisons. Finally decided it was time to give it a shot. The only thing that changed was the speaker wires, everything else remained exactly the same. I have various SPL meters to check and make sure that I get the same level, so that should not be the issue (pink noise from Sound check disc with Rat Shack Digital SPL at MLP after changing them out - no volume issues to the best of my knowledge).

Wires:
Monster Standard THX 16 Gauge - kind of my "Base Line"
Kimber 8TC - Older Black & Blue
HiVi Speaker Cable (not sure of the model - it was a "special" at one of the Audio Shows a couple of years ago)
Emotiva Speaker Cables (appear to be discontinued)
Electra Speaker Cable`

Demo material:
Chesky Records "The Ultimate Demonstration Disc" Multiple tracks. Primarily Spanish Harlem, Maiden Voyage, and Correnteza (but really - most everything)

I have previously gone round and round, back and forth on the different speaker cables that I owned. Honestly, the difference between the Moster and the HiVi was pretty minimal, and I don't think I could reliably tell any difference. I previously used the Kimber's with my old speakers (Thiels), but they have just sounded too bright in both my LS6 and Super 7 setups. I listened mostly to the Emotiva's as they were the "Smoothest" (for lack of a better term- they seemed to have the fewest problems in my current setup (ModWright 205 > ModWright LS100 > Morrow RCA's > GR Research/PI Audio Folsom Chip amp > GR Research Serenity Super 7's) (TWL Power cords, PI Audio UberBUSS, GIK & PI Audio Room treatments)

Because I had already gone round and round with the others and settled on the Emotiva's, this time I was comparing only the Electra's & the Emotiva's.

This was pretty easy IMO. While there were some subtle differences, there was one that was easy for me to pick out.

I'm not very good at describing things, but I would say that the Center image was the biggest difference. With the Emotiva's, many things in the center image seemed to overlap. With the Electra's, there was now a very subtle difference in things being every so slightly left or right of center - perhaps slightly better separation in the imaging would be a better description, but it was more noticeable in the very center of the soundstage rather than towards the speakers. Never really noticed anything like this with any of my other experiments/comparisons. Can't explain the why, just the effect.

I know Tyson has said these speakers are very revealing  in what is upstream from them with regards to cables, now I know it's very much evident.

In my current system, this was a no-brainer purchase.

(part of me is afraid that this will be a never ending search, but I'm happy with 2 channel for now)