How many times do you turn your volume control up and down?

Huck

Just curious how many times you turn your volume controlup and down during a listening session?...mine goes up and down probably 100 times during my 3 hour listening session,streaming different genres of tunes varies in volume,plus I am sitting right there next to my gear which is at arms length to touch the volume control.Huck :popcorn:

Mag

Re: How many times do you turn your volume control up and down?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2022, 06:33 pm »
  On the main rig, quite often so a remote is a must. With my secondary system I don't want it too loud as to bother the neighbors. So I set it to what I think is an acceptable volume and leave it there. If a hot or loudly compressed song plays I can change the song quickly on computer or lower volume as Bluetooth wireless amp is right beside my bed if I'm lying down.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2022, 07:13 pm »
Fairly often during a two-hour session. Probably 15-20 times depending on what I'm listening to. Remote is a must.

Huck

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2022, 07:59 pm »
I am trying to find a new genre of music,but I don't know what that is yet,so I do a lot of streaming different titles/bands,etc,so volume can go up and down quite a bit,depending on the track,etc.I don't know what I am looking for in a new genre for me,but I am kind of tired of the 'run of the mill' rock I have been listening to for over 60 years and back then when I was a young'en,there basically  3 genres of music...rock,country,classical,now there are too many to keep track of,but when I hear it,I will know it.....still lookin'(listening)Huck :scratch:

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2022, 08:18 pm »
I am trying to find a new genre of music,but I don't know what that is yet,so I do a lot of streaming different titles/bands,etc,so volume can go up and down quite a bit,depending on the track,etc.I don't know what I am looking for in a new genre for me,but I am kind of tired of the 'run of the mill' rock I have been listening to for over 60 years and back then when I was a young'en,there basically  3 genres of music...rock,country,classical,now there are too many to keep track of,but when I hear it,I will know it.....still lookin'(listening)Huck :scratch:

I suggest what was termed New Age back when, now classified as electronic. Try David Arkenstone which is mostly instrumental and has lots of albums to choose. If this is your cup of tea related Artists would be Kitaro, Yanni, Matthew Lien, Redshift, Ian Boddy, Vangelis.

Good Luck in your search.

Huck

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2022, 08:29 pm »
I suggest what was termed New Age back when, now classified as electronic. Try David Arkenstone which is mostly instrumental and has lots of albums to choose. If this is your cup of tea related Artists would be Kitaro, Yanni, Matthew Lien, Redshift, Ian Boddy, Vangelis.

Good Luck in your search.
Thanks,I will check them out tonight.That's why I love streaming,lots of artists to listen to before I buy the actual album or CD.Huck

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2022, 09:00 pm »
Thanks,I will check them out tonight.That's why I love streaming,lots of artists to listen to before I buy the actual album or CD.Huck

Some of David Arkenstone's albums that I like are not listed on Amazon HD. They are Native Spirit, Echoes of Egypt, Frontier but there are some new ones that I haven't heard. I've taken songs that I like from various albums and made two compilation cd's.

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2022, 10:08 pm »
I generally set it to my desired level and leave it for the entire session.

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2022, 12:01 am »
I generally set it to my desired level and leave it for the entire session.

Same here! I don’t stream and only change the volume with a disc change.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2022, 01:10 am »
Fairly constantly  :green:

Seems I end up playing a couple a songs from this, then a couple a songs from that, then a couple from the other thing. EVERYTHING seems to be recorded at a different volume, so I gotta adjust.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2022, 02:45 pm »
Maybe weekly, then it goes back to the previous setting or another week or two.

oskar

« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2022, 02:50 pm »
I start listening at a reasonable level then I slowly creep it up.
When I pause for a few minutes and then go to the next song I realize I'm in the high 80's low 90's!
Then I bring it back down.

Digi-G

« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2022, 06:20 pm »
I'm married, so I change it quite a bit.

Delta77

« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2022, 08:20 pm »
Up and down a few times during my 2-6 hour listening session , mostly as I swap from one artist to another..
Also I might turn it down(adjust) as the tube amp warms up, after about 10-15 minute the tube amp seems to get a bit louder.

New music : sounds very similar to my situation a few years ago, Even though I had a killer system, I would quickly get board with the same old songs (Mostly Classic Rock). But I started to discover Newer Reggae, and haven't looked back.
Fortunate Youth
Hirie
The Green (definitely try these guys)
Tribal Seeds
Stick Figure (and this guy)
Just to name a few..

In fact I've started to go to small concerts (shows) and discovering even more bands, some of which actually sound better in person than on their records.!!!!
Most shows range in price from $25-$50 which makes it not too expensive to enjoy , or just leave if the band isn't cutting the mustard..

Nick B

« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2022, 08:26 pm »
Lots! I couldn’t function without a remote. Different loudness levels, crummy recordings that require less less volume, needing to turn down when the phone rings etc. The motorized pots certainly sound good enough not to warrant the extreme inconvenience of not having remote control.

Huck

« Reply #15 on: 30 Sep 2022, 08:30 pm »
Lots! I couldn’t function without a remote. Different loudness levels, crummy recordings that require less less volume, needing to turn down when the phone rings etc. The motorized pots certainly sound good enough not to warrant the extreme inconvenience of not having remote control.
I am lucky that my seating position on the couch provides me a nice arm length to the volume control,so I can just extend my arm and I am right there at the VC...I have a remote,but batteries(alka leaks) are removed.Huck

richidoo

« Reply #16 on: 30 Sep 2022, 09:12 pm »
Bigger woofers solve the volume changing problem. They bring more dynamic range at both the loud end and the quiet end. Bigger woofers play bass deeper, softer and more detailed than small woofers, so you don't have to turn up the volume to hear the bass in quiet passages. And of course they can play louder, so you don't have to turn down the volume like a small speaker that would distort or break while playing at same volume level that lets you hear the bass at quiet passages.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #17 on: 30 Sep 2022, 09:46 pm »
Usually at the beginning of the album, if the volume level varies from album to album as they often do.

Nick B

« Reply #18 on: 1 Oct 2022, 12:10 am »
Bigger woofers solve the volume changing problem. They bring more dynamic range at both the loud end and the quiet end. Bigger woofers play bass deeper, softer and more detailed than small woofers, so you don't have to turn up the volume to hear the bass in quiet passages. And of course they can play louder, so you don't have to turn down the volume like a small speaker that would distort or break while playing at same volume level that lets you hear the bass at quiet passages.

Hey Rich,

Hope all is well! In over 35 years of audio, I’ve had one speaker that I can recall with larger drivers…. the Shahinian Diapasons….and that was 25 years ago. Some day I’ll get a 3 way and enjoy the benefits that you’re describing 🎵

cementhead

« Reply #19 on: 1 Oct 2022, 01:42 pm »
Lots. It seems my ears, or the equipment ,need a slow rise in volume to warm up to sound the best. Then, depending on the recording or song, it will get cranked up as the night goes along.