Oceans 8/ meh

stlrman

Oceans 8/ meh
« on: 16 Jun 2018, 10:26 pm »
Same old , same old. But with women . Daughter dragged me in .

Folsom

Re: Oceans 8/ meh
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2018, 10:35 pm »
Looked stupid. The originals are decent background movies, when you don't really care about what's going on. I don't find the characters believable in the previews.

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2018, 01:38 am »
I agree, meh.  The actors had nothing to do with how the movie (story, suspense, music) came off.  It was nothing special, just ok. 

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2018, 08:30 am »
Strange movie. May actually be the most authentic Ocean's 11 copy in that the heist is actually the boring part. The real pleasure is in just hanging out with the stars for a couple of hours, which is exactly what the original Rat Pack movie was like. So in that sense, it's a success.

Emil

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2018, 12:05 pm »

Woodsea

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2018, 01:11 pm »
The Ocean's movies for me has always been how cool and charismatic the leading actor (Ocean) comes across.  Sandra for me did not display her lineage of coolness like her brother(s).  I don't think she has it in her, but there are plenty of other female actors that could pull it off.   Jada plays one on Gotham, Charlize has great range, Sigourney would have been awesome, and possible Halle. 
Yes, the heist was well played, except for the obvious reverse pickpocket.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2018, 03:50 pm »
That headline could also read "Women copy a men's movie, and then surprised when 4th iteration isn't a huge success" because 4th iterations are so sooooooo successful. It's obviously men's fault that they are burned out on the same old same old movie, and the type of movie women don't even like much to start with. What were they thinking? "Let's make a movie with a bunch of star actors, it has to make money if they're all in it, right? We'll just recycle some something else so we don't have to pay an important writer." 

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2018, 03:51 pm »
The Ocean's movies for me has always been how cool and charismatic the leading actor (Ocean) comes across.  Sandra for me did not display her lineage of coolness like her brother(s).  I don't think she has it in her, but there are plenty of other female actors that could pull it off.   Jada plays one on Gotham, Charlize has great range, Sigourney would have been awesome, and possible Halle. 
Yes, the heist was well played, except for the obvious reverse pickpocket.

Right, in what way does Sandra charismatic badass? None. They probably could have made a much better movie if they found no-names that impressed them in auditions.

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2018, 05:01 pm »
Right, in what way does Sandra charismatic badass? None.

Speed
Miss Congeniality
The Proposal
The Heat
Gravity

I mean come on. Also, Ocean's 8 has already opened to bigger box office than any of the previous movies. So there's going to be a sequel. The movie falls flat because of the direction. There are almost no establishing shots or real camera movement. It's almost all medium shots of the actors. Seriously. What was missing is obvious: Steven Soderbergh.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2018, 07:45 pm »
That headline could also read "Women copy a men's movie, and then surprised when 4th iteration isn't a huge success" because 4th iterations are so sooooooo successful. It's obviously men's fault that they are burned out on the same old same old movie, and the type of movie women don't even like much to start with. What were they thinking? "Let's make a movie with a bunch of star actors, it has to make money if they're all in it, right? We'll just recycle some something else so we don't have to pay an important writer."

Welcome to Hollywood. It's just product. Crank 'em out. It's an industry... blah, blah, blah, etc., etc. etc.