Big Red Machine

Re: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Level 3 mods: Coming soon
« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2011, 11:16 pm »
I've got to have one of these.

Wayne1

« Reply #21 on: 28 Dec 2011, 07:13 pm »
Here is a shot of the DAC in my rack

brj has gone out of town for a couple of weeks. While he is gone he has lent me his Pass Labs XA-30.5 amp. It has all the power that the Daedalus Athenas need. The pre-amp is a Hagerman Clarinet I built some time ago.

The sound with the Hyper modded DAC is fabulous. A great deal of space between all the notes. The recording venue is more obvious in good recordings. It truly brings to life the difference between redbook and 24/96 recordings.

I'll try to take a few shots of the innards in a bit.

Here is a bit closer shot of the case.

KJ

« Reply #22 on: 28 Dec 2011, 07:53 pm »
Looking good Wayne!   :thumb:

fado

« Reply #23 on: 28 Dec 2011, 08:53 pm »
Do you have an estimated cost yet?

Will it still depend on finding an older Minimax or is there continuing availability through the distributor?

Levi

« Reply #24 on: 28 Dec 2011, 09:46 pm »
Nice!

Great combination with all the components looks like. Congrats Wayne!

Wayne1

« Reply #25 on: 28 Dec 2011, 10:01 pm »
Do you have an estimated cost yet?

Lots and lots  :wink:

This was a one off, custom unit. There will be no more like this. The EE MiniMax DAC is no longer available in the US. If you own one or buy one used and want something like this level, we can talk. Lou might be willing to build another case, maybe. I can say the parts cost keeps going up. For something like this one, figure well north of $4k for my end of things. That is not including the DAC or the case.

Here are some more poor photos.

This is the back panel. Analog outputs and coax input are WBT NextGen Silver. BNC is Canare 75 ohm and XLR is Neutrik silver. AC inlet, fuse holder and fuse are all ACME Audio silver plated and cryo-treated.

Here is what the EE DAC board looks like after a few Hynes regulators are added, caps changed, new op-amps and a few things done to the tube circuit.

Wayne1

« Reply #26 on: 28 Dec 2011, 10:03 pm »

Here is a fuzzy shot of the whole shebang. The additional board at the back of the case has the transformer, pre-regulator circuit and Bybee Music Rail that feeds the four Hynes regulators used to send power the the DAC chip. The board on the left side has another transformer just for feeding the op-amps. Two Hynes regulators feed a positive and negative Bybee Music Rail

The other transformer is the stock unit to provide the high voltage to the tube, through a Hynes regulator, the filament voltage through the last Hynes regulator and 5 volts to operate the relays.

carusoracer

Re: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Level 3 mods: Finished
« Reply #27 on: 1 Jan 2012, 01:44 am »
Wow Wayne! That is one good looking DAC :o Would have liked to heard that one...Nice Work.

rpf

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jan 2012, 05:17 am »
 :drool:    Can't manage any other comment.

audiogoober

« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2012, 01:46 pm »
This is a glorious DAC in a league of it's own.  I may be headed in another direction and wanted to check and see if any of you guys were interested in purchasing this from me. I haven't thought about a price, but it would be negotiable. Mint condition and one of a kind. PM me anytime. Thanks.

motorcitym3

« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2013, 08:22 pm »
I just wanted to give a quick thanks to Wayne and Audiogoober for this extraordinary DAC.   I've been enjoying this for the last couple months and can't get over how nice it sounds...I'm in AWE!  :thumb:

Gost22

« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2013, 08:37 pm »
I just wanted to give a quick thanks to Wayne and Audiogoober for this extraordinary DAC.   I've been enjoying this for the last couple months and can't get over how nice it sounds...I'm in AWE!  :thumb:
Hi guys!
Hello everyone.
I need help with the tube buffer (circuit or proekt) for connecting CD-players and audio amplifiers with LM3886.
So please give suggestion for tube buffer or line stage (schematics) for may CD player and may audio amplifier with LM3886.
Tube can be 12AX7 or ​​ECC88 (6DJ8).

thank you and cheers!

audiogoober

« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2013, 11:26 pm »

Glad you like it....enjoy!!