CAF 2018: HA300 driving Fritz Carrera Rev 7 BE

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
CAF 2018: HA300 driving Fritz Carrera Rev 7 BE
« on: 7 Nov 2018, 04:10 pm »
HA300 is not a headphone amps with robust power; it is a SET 300B class A (8 watt) amp with integrated preamp section that has a headphone out feature.  It's a misnomer.  Let's face it -- 8 watts ouput is an overkill for headphones.  I am sure it does that well but an overkill is an overkill.

8 watts produced beautiful music through Fritz monitors.  Tonality was superb.  Like so many Berylium tweeters, the high end was trilling and oh so alluring.  Fritz showed me his flat impedance curve on his monitors and, sure enough, the music was smooth and showed off the gorgeous  tonal texture that 300b in Class A can deliver.  The benign load belied, me thinks, a lack of oomph to really make these speakers sing, but it does show that these speakers can really be good at low volume -- something to consider if you are listening late at night in a shared space.  I know Dan wants to come up with a midpower (30W) integrated at approachable price and this future product would be an ideal match to these speakers.  As is, the HA300 is a great deal for those looking for SET Class A 8 watts a channel.  Amp and pre separates to get this sound would cost a lot more.

I have to give kudos to Dan's integrity in absolutely choosing ancillary equipment in a real world configuration at shows.  He has a market in mind and put together a system with commensurate components, e.g. tubes and cables.  Less scrupulous person might go all out with upside down component price structure to show off his product but not Dan.  If you don't believe tubes and cables make a difference, never mind.  Anyway, good of you, Dan.:rock:

modwright

Re: CAF 2018: HA300 driving Fritz Carrera Rev 7 BE
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2019, 11:13 pm »
Very belated reply and thank you!

That was such a great pairing, that it motivated me to design a 25W P-P 300B integrated amp. This design is nearly complete and MAN, if you liked the 8W HA 300, hang on tight! The 25W from the Ai 325 Integrated allows a MUCH broader selection of speakers to drive.

Thanks,

Dan