SQ of Mac Mini USB-vs-Toslink-vs-Ethernet ?

PEB

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.BambergAudio.com
SQ of Mac Mini USB-vs-Toslink-vs-Ethernet ?
« on: 21 Feb 2020, 03:50 pm »
I am almost finished ripping my ~400 CD collection to a Mac Mini that was handed down to me. 
I've played a couple songs from USB and Toslink outputs, and the sound was a bit "grungy", i.e. not what I am used to via the CD transport itself.  Perhaps I am sampling older, poorly recorded songs. 

I plan to rebuild my system around the miniDSP SHD, which will then have ethernet input.  Will the sound quality be back up to par with this connection? 

Please hold your recommendations for music subscription services, as I can research that myself elsewhere. 

avta

Re: SQ of Mac Mini USB-vs-Toslink-vs-Ethernet ?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2020, 04:20 pm »
Would you tell us more about your system? Software player, preamp, amp, speakers etc.

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2020, 04:26 pm »
When I used a mini for playback using USB it sound good. There is a problem with either your ripping or in you set up.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2020, 04:35 pm »
Through my NUC PC the USB sounds as good or better than my CD player.  You probably have an issue other than the Mac unless it is defective.

brj

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2020, 04:22 am »
I'm also surprised.  I've been feeding my DAC from the USB output of my late 2012 Mac Mini for years, and it was a clear step up from my CEC TL51X transport.

I use XLD for ripping and Roon for playback (sometimes feeding the output through HQPlayer), for what it's worth, though all my music is stored on a NAS.

As others have said, more details on the setup and symptoms may yield more help.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2020, 05:56 am »
Hello, Philip. [We met at 2014 Axpona.]

I've read several accounts of folks modding their 2012 Minis to become much cleaner and superior sounding than the stock Minis. I've got a list of mods/tweaks one can perform to bring out the Mini's best qualities. I have not performed them myself.

Best of luck!

Michael

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2020, 02:13 pm »
....I've played a couple songs from USB and Toslink outputs, and the sound was a bit "grungy", i.e. not what I am used to via the CD transport itself.  Perhaps I am sampling older, poorly recorded songs. ...... 
If you're using a quality dac, the rest of your chain is in order, and the usb and Toslink connections aren't audibly different, you likely need a better usb cable. I know it doesn't make any sense, but digital cables are probably the most important in the system, and good usb will outperform Toslink. You may need to try several cables to fine the right match, however the YFS usb cable is a very good sounding cable I've heard in several systems for not crazy money.

Good servers can sound better than cd transports through the same dac. It does require optimising the software as mentioned, and ideally using a "split" usb cable with the power leg of the usb coming from a linear power supply or battery, as well as powering the server itself from a LPS. Power coming from your server over the usb is grungy.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2020, 02:20 pm »
What file format did you chose before ripping your cds? I use AIFF ripped through XLD and can't tell the difference when comparing cd to files. And this is through either Mac Mini connection.

Hopefully you chose a lossless format, or it's back to ripping you go.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2020, 03:46 pm »
Hello! (from another person who met you and spent some time in one of your demo rooms at a show many years ago)

There have been some good thoughts put out so far in this thread, but reading your initial post I saw a key point I think needs clarification.  You describe sending audio out of your mac via USB and Toslink, but out to what?  Your post mentions building around the miniDSP SHD, but it reads like you don't have this in the system yet.  Does your transport include USB and Toslink inputs to run as a DAC or are you using something else?

Delacroix

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2020, 06:38 pm »
What player are you using? When I first ripped, like you, (also using XLD to AIFF) I was disappointed with the quality when I used iTunes via USB or Toslink to my DAC. I trialed a few dedicated players like Amarra and Audivarna and both sounded better.

zoom25

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2020, 08:07 pm »
If both the inputs on your DAC have ASRC applied to them, then the sound should be identical or close to identical. However, if the USB input is asynchronous and optical is synchronous, then things can get tricky. Higher jitter on the optical but galvanic isolation.

Whenever I utilize the USB output to DAC via my iMac, MacBook Pro, and NUC, I prefer the sound with a Jitterbug added to the computer's USB output. Makes the sound more relaxed and easier to follow. It's always been beneficial in the long run to me. Without Jitterbug, the sound initially feels more dynamic and more detailed but you quickly feel more suffocation. The dialogues and transients don't follow as naturally. Everything sounds louder, but the silences in the music never get quite as silent as it does with Jitterbug in place. It does address that grunge.

PEB, I think you may want to consider a Jitterbug or a similar USB based product if you go with USB. I have 2 of these in both my setups. My brain thanks me.