PI Audio Group Diffusers

ADD

• Industry Participant
PI Audio Group Diffusers
« on: 31 Oct 2010, 05:29 am »
Hey PI Audio Guys. Can you explain how you got such a terrible room to sound so good. I realize that the brain power in the room could change the rotation of the earth.Thats a given. Specifically the diffusion that was used in the room. Not much has been mentioned about your room treatment.Can you give us a brief summary of what was used.

ebag4

Re: PI Audio Group Diffusers
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2010, 02:39 pm »
Hey PI Audio Guys. Can you explain how you got such a terrible room to sound so good. I realize that the brain power in the room could change the rotation of the earth.Thats a given. Specifically the diffusion that was used in the room. Not much has been mentioned about your room treatment.Can you give us a brief summary of what was used.
+1 Dave, are those tall diffusion panels a new product offering?

Best,
Ed

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2010, 03:12 pm »
I was just reviewing these a bit earlier in the Critics Circle while discussing the LS9 speaker.    I've had one of the pairs from the RMAF for about a week, and they are very effective.  The only question is where to put them.  In my room, I think they will end up on side walls at first reflection points.  The key improvement was the increase in soundstage width and depth.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2010, 09:53 pm »
OK, all of you guys.  In the spirit of full disclosure, I need to come clean here.  ADD - (Igor) is none other than my best friend, Greg Rael.  Not only is he my numero uno shill, but also the guy responsible for naming the MajkBUSS, my Mongo power cable and other things that are not pertinent here.  I have been riding his butt to become active here for quite a while and voila, here he is.

Greg is the owner of Enchantment Acoustics.  I have pegged him as the sole distributor of my Acoustic Building Block series of acoustic treatments and we will have a full release on what is coming this next week.  I will be helping Greg with the design and technical end of the business, but he is the goto guy for product.  You all are in great hands.

Welcome aboard, Igor.

Dave

S Clark

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2010, 12:01 am »
I noticed that an Audiogon info suspiciously included an Albuquerque zip code :wink:
By the way, can I qualify as your #2 shill?  The diffusers work well, and the outlets that you sold me are amazing. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2010, 02:29 am »
I noticed that an Audiogon info suspiciously included an Albuquerque zip code :wink:
By the way, can I qualify as your #2 shill?  The diffusers work well, and the outlets that you sold me are amazing.
Cool, glad you like all of that stuff.

I'll call you Eyegor.

:icon_lol:

Dave

dmccombs

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2010, 02:33 am »
I got several of these diffusers from Greg/Igor/ADD or whoever the heck he is.   :lol:

They do a great job in my difficult room.  The soundstage is much improved with these guys in the room.

jriggy

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2010, 04:21 am »
I got several of these diffusers from Greg/Igor/ADD or whoever the heck he is.   :lol:

They do a great job in my difficult room.  The soundstage is much improved with these guys in the room.
Hi dmccombs,

could you describe your room size and where you have them placed?

Interested in these. Could not find Enchantment Acoustics on line but interested non the less...

dmccombs

« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2010, 02:35 pm »
Jriggy,

I have tough room because I have two openings on my right side (front hallway and dining room).  Worse yet, my audio room also is home to my 73" HDTV screen.  Without room treatments, my room SUCKs!!!!  My room size is 15'w x 26.7'l x 8'h.

So I have 3 diffusers in front of the HDTV.  This does a great job of mitigating the HDTV issues.  I also have a diffuser 2 feet in front of that, in front of my massive HTM1-D center channel speaker.

I have 2 other diffusors, each against the side wall, about even with each of the front speakers.  In all, I have 3 pairs of the diffusers.

Given my horrible room and the fact that my 802D speakers or just OK in the imaging department, my soundstage should be pretty poor.  But with 3 pairs of these diffusers, my room is much improved and I have a terrific soundstage.  It is wider, deeper, and the separation between instruments is better defined.

I am so glad I bought these.   :thumb:

jriggy

« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2010, 02:46 pm »
Thanks for the details!
 I am wanting to get a deeper soundstage and have just started thinking about diffusion.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2010, 03:17 pm »
Thanks for the details!
 I am wanting to get a deeper soundstage and have just started thinking about diffusion.
We need to think about a listening area as an energy system - one that tracks the energy of the source system as closely as possible.  This means a combination of absorption and diffusion.  Absorption is best used to control the room's contributions - bass build-up and first reflections.  Diffusion works best to shape the soundfield and manage energy instead of sucking it out.

Ever been in one of theose rooms that is so dead you feel like your brain is being sucked out of your ears?  Listener's fatigue in a room like that is almost instantaneous.  A good listening environment should have an open feeling to it: one without too much trapping or early reflections.

I designed our diffusers to have a VERY wide diffusion bandwidth and to be reactive at lower frequencies to act as tunable LF traps.  With the addition of some mass to their backs, they are very effective in controlling mid and upper bass energy.

Dave

jriggy

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2010, 03:32 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts Dave. That gives me a lil better understanding of the combination of Absorption and diffusion... Ill PM you about how to obtain and how much on these when I am ready to get something... there is a diffusion on the front wall thread I need to read.

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2010, 03:51 pm »
With the addition of some mass to their backs, they are very effective in controlling mid and upper bass energy.

Dave
So, what do you recommend for additional mass?  MDF, carved Babylonian relief panels, or just plain 24K Au? All cryoed of course  :wink:
BTW, DMccombs, your room sounds almost as difficult as mine.  The diffusers really do a good job with sound stage.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2010, 07:36 pm »
So, what do you recommend for additional mass?  MDF, carved Babylonian relief panels, or just plain 24K Au? All cryoed of course  :wink:
BTW, DMccombs, your room sounds almost as difficult as mine.  The diffusers really do a good job with sound stage.
You can use heavy cardboard panels (upper bass/lower midgrange), 1/8" Masonite (mid bass & upper bass) or 1/4" mdf, or plywood (midbass) that cover the back of the diffuser (~20" x 40") to mass load the panels and decrease their inherent resonant frequency.  Try attaching these with double sided foam tape foir initial tuning and then acrylic latex caulk for a permanent  application.  Most rooms will benefit from the 1/8" masonite loading.

Dave

S Clark

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2010, 11:12 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Dave.  Also, I like the diffusers well enough that I'd like to pick up another pair.  You have email.  :D

Scott

jhm731

« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2010, 11:59 pm »
What do they look like?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 3 Nov 2010, 12:21 am »
What do they look like?
This is a picture with the ABB1 diffusers stacked beside and behind the speakers with the ABB1 Sidewall diffusers close to the edge of the picture so you can see the basic profile.

Dave

S Clark

« Reply #17 on: 3 Nov 2010, 12:30 am »
What is difference in performance of those stacked vertically vs. those stack horizontally?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 3 Nov 2010, 12:51 am »
What is difference in performance of those stacked vertically vs. those stack horizontally?
The diffusive pattern of the diffuser is a cylinder that runs parallel to the rib in the pattern.  The sidewall diffusers will present less diffraction to an oblique sound incidence and a diffusive pattern that spreads from floor to ceiling.  The standard vertical cell diffuser has a cylinderical reradiation pattern that is wall to wall.

Dave

jhm731

« Reply #19 on: 3 Nov 2010, 01:19 am »
Thanks for the picture.

What do they cost?

Does a stacked pair come with a base?

Dimensions?