Phase splitters

alastairwilson

Phase splitters
« on: 16 Jan 2004, 08:01 pm »
Hi,
I'm toying with the idea of building a Menno van der Veen push pull amp (http://www.amplimo.nl/) which uses a phase splitter before the output stage. As I can take a balanced signal from my TX102's am I oversimplifying things by thinking that I can take this signal straight to the balanced output stage? I realise I may need an additional amplification stage after the TX102's, so will this negate any advantages of losing the phase splitter?

This is my first post so I just want to offer a belated thanks for your friendly and efficient service. The TX 102's and Seidens are superb!!

Thanks in anticipation.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Phase splitters
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2004, 04:46 pm »
Hello!

Sorry for the delayed reply. I was wanting to speak to S&B to get the scoop before I posted. We have been trying to make a 102 that can do phase inversion and S&B has got that done now (as of yesterday morning). This is very different than Phase splitting. This new 'phase inversion' tx102 will not do a good enough job phase splitting. The same goes for any transformer with multiple secondary taps like the tx102. The tx102 will do a great job of splitting phase when on the full output tap but as you go down in level the symetry required for phase splitting is lost. This makes sense if you picture thye signal path. It is possible that 2 tx102's per channel run symetrically would do the trick but at that point a phase splitting trannie would be the better (and less expensive) answer I'd think. Sorry to not have better news.

BTW - Thanks for the link to the site - they have a lot of fun looking stuff there!

Many Thansk!

John

alastairwilson

Phase splitters
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2004, 06:52 pm »
John,

Thanks for that. I thought I might be biting off more than I can chew! I'll keep an eye open for future developments from S & B but in the meantime it looks like the optimised circuit is the safest (and cheapest!) option.

Keep up the good work,

Dean Wilson.

dhsettim

balanced output?
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:44 am »
Hi John, am I wrong in thinking that as the output can be balanced then that balanced signal can be use in a balanced/differential input for a PP amp--as per Allan Wright's PP1? tim

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Phase splitters
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:36 pm »
Hello!

The output of the tx102's is  differential - the difference between the signals on the top and bottom of the secondary wires. It is what is known as floating ballanced as there is no 'center tap'. It works great and I have used it this way into many ballanced amps like my Atmasphere's - which are happier run ballanced. Lots of other folks are running it ballanced to their amps with great results as well.

To do a really good job of 'phase splitting' it would have to be symetrical at each tap from top to bottom - doubling the wires comming out of an already crowded can (and likely with other complications inside as well). This is not practical to do inside the single can tx102. An alternate as mentioned above is to use 2 tx102's per side - but this is not needed or suggested - nor has it ever been done.

Many Thanks!

John