Front Horns

andrewbee

Front Horns
« on: 10 Oct 2003, 01:20 am »
Hello John,

Have you considered selling your the front horns,(Deepthroat) the ones you made several years ago?
Do you still use them?
How would you compare them now against the F.A.L. drivers?

Andrew

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Front Horns
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2003, 01:50 am »
Hello!

A blast from the past - Thanks! The horns were 150hz tractrix round horns - kinda like Avantguards but made for the Lowther driver. I used PM2A's and then later REPS drivers.  Dan at bottlehead named them the deepthroat horns in keeping with his naming system!

The bottom end is covered by some TAD 1601c's. They can be a lot of fun to listen to and I still use them when playing with low power amps. Not quite as well behaved as the FAL's overall but lots of dynamics. Also they were always run bi-amped so that complicates the system a bit.

I did those horns at the same time Bert made the Oris horns and finally had a chance to meet Bert at VSAC last weekend.

I made about 20 horns or so on the thermoforming mould I had made and then decided to move on to other projects. They were never meant to really be a product but there was some interest so I sold a few.  My interests were more to the electronics side so I just figured since folks could get'em from Bert (who sells them via welbourne labs now I think) I would just move onto other stuff.

I would suggest if you have an interest in them to contact Ron Welborne at http://www.welbornelabs.com/index.html.

Thanks!

John

John Chapman

• Facilitator
Front Horns
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2003, 02:34 am »
Hello!

I forgot to ask - how did you find out about those things? There's not a lot of them floating around!

Thansk!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

andrewbee

How did I find out? I watched the movie
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2003, 01:55 pm »
:lol:
I saw the article in Valve then if memory serves me correctly I called Doc who gave me someones number who gave me your number. You were in Canada. I spoke to you for maybe half an hour. The only thing that stopped me was the size of the horns / and shipping. I live in the Cayman Islands.
You got a pair available?

Andrew

John Chapman

• Facilitator
Front Horns
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2003, 03:11 pm »
Hello!

Good to hear from you! I remeber clearly now - your  the only guy who has wanted those horns in the Cayman Islands! I only have my one pair that I will be keeping for myself. The Oris is very similar - just a slightly higher cutoff frequency and small size. The smaller size help shipping costs!

Many Thansk!

John

Romy the Cat

Front Horns
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2003, 08:11 pm »
Quote from: John Chapman
A blast from the past - Thanks! The horns were 150hz tractrix round horns - kinda like Avantguards but made for the Lowther driver. I used PM2A's and then later REPS drivers.  Dan at bottlehead named them the deepthroat horns in keeping with his naming system!

Hm …. To use 1601 with 150hz tractrix horn? This is quite of strange idea! Was it for a audio-pop-corn meeting of the Patricia Barber admirers of your town of a phono opportunity for the Audio Asylum Horno-Board?

Rgs,
The Cat

John Chapman

• Facilitator
Front Horns
« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2003, 10:57 pm »
Hello!

It is the REPS drivers that are front loaded horns (150Hz tractrix) - the TAD's are in a vented box. Those TAD's are really nice drivers. They don't go super low but what they do they do well!

I have seen Altec drivers used front loaded in modest sized horns - never understood the benefit since most of the time they operate accross the horn cutoff (and much of the operation is often below the cutoff freq). Still a few of these systems have sounded mightly good.

Many Thansk!

John

Romy the Cat

Front Horns
« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2003, 03:36 am »
Sorry for misunderstanding, I did not get your correctly. For some reason I understood that you used 1601 in the 150hz tractrix and I was thinking the hell you were taking about.

I do use 8” driver too for my upper bass 140hz tractrix (107hz in the room) and was looking in past at the REPS but never made myself to get it.  I do not exactly subscribe the full rage-drivers BS, and as many installations I have heard with REPS, I always was revolted with the front radiated full-range upper-mid noise and back loaded so-called “horn” junk.  I use my upper bass driver from 100 to 1000hz but whatever I heard with REPS was virtually unlistenable under 300hZ. Well, I understand that in most of the cases it was not the fault of the REPS driver but the typical unintelligent enclosures the audio hoodlums spread around but those experiences  with back loaded fart-machines made me do not try the REPS…

BTW, do you know any 4” output good upper bass driver (a compression or conventional)? It should have paper none-treated diaphragm, stiff paper suspension, high sensitivity and low excursions, to be underhanded … did I mention the correct tone? :-) Please the M4 and the similar dreck do not even mention.. we are not in Kansas ….

Rgs,
Romy the Cat