I'm interested in your NOH preamp and MU set-up Transformer

brianlee

Hello! John.

I’m Brian Lee, live in South Korea and Vintage audio mania.
I'm really interested in your NOH tx102 preamp and MU TX103 MC Set-up transformer.
So I'm considering your NOH preamp and MU TX103 MC Set-up transformer.
and I mostly listen to the Vinyl records than CDs. So I have a question.
I’d like to make full function preamp with MM/MC Phono, tuner, CD, Tape using all S&B products and your products.
Please let me know your opinion and recommend!
Thanks.

1.   Speaker  : ALTEC A5(515B woofers, 288-16G drivers, JBL 2360A Horns, N500-F networks)
2.   TurnTable : THORENS 124 with SME3012R
3.   Cartridge : DENON103R, Ortofon SPU, Ortofon Jubilee
4.   Tuner    : Philips 673
5.   CD       : TCD-2(Local product)
6.   Reel-to-Reel : REVOX G-36
7.   Power    : 300B SE AMP.
8.   Preamp  : DIY tube Preamp.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
I'm interested in your NOH preamp and MU set-up Transformer
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2004, 11:44 pm »
Hello!

I replyed via e-mail a few days back but have been looking for time to post here for those interested.

A5's!! Those are serious speakers. A local friend used to keep a picture of A5's around to show his wife how bad it could get and how the modest speakers he wanted to cram into the living room were not so bad after all. Later he ended up with some big speakers (may have even been a5's ) but they landed in the basement.......

Anyway, The idea of an all S phono stage and pre-amp is really good but it will be a while before  more info gets out about the RIAA's - like suggested circuits or even better maybe a phono stage kit. It is a fine project for an advanced DIY guy who routinely designs tube circuits from scratch but for a novice would be too much to tackle right now. So it depends on your past DIY experience.

The circuit would go like this:

Phono Cartridge to
TX103 MC Step-Up to
Buffer/Gain stage to
10K (or 600 ohm) RIAA to
Buffer / Gain stage to
TX102 level control

and then on to your amps.  You'd also put some swithcing in so you could route the line level signals only to the tx102 for level control.

Would be a nice full function pre-amp and it is what I will end up with here at some point I am sure.  Please post or e-mail any other questions that come up.

Thansk!

John