What are the best applications for watching TV on a laptop?

hmen

I'd like to use my laptop to watch TV. I've noticed a lot of sites show stuff for free and only need a browser but those are usually run by the content provider (i.e. ComedyCentral.com). I saw some products sold that claim to do more, including being able to pick up stations from around the world. I also saw mention of a TV tuner card. Is anybody using any of this stuff? Does anybody have any suggestions about where to start? Any help would be appreciated.

Doublej

Re: What are the best applications for watching TV on a laptop?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2009, 11:36 pm »
A tuner card to receive local broadcast channels and display them on your computer.

Hulu, Fancast Joost, et al provide an aggregation point for content from multiple networks and studios and serve it up through their site.

I think TVersity does this as well but you have to purchase their software application to do this.

I suspect there are media content aggregations sites that serve up material from around the globe thereby "picking up stations from around the world".

GHM

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2009, 12:25 am »
Go here and enjoy yourself Clicker. I've been watching shows in 720P and 1080P from this site today...it looks great. All you need is the Adobe Flash player 10.1. The website should recognize if it isn't already installed and prompt a download. If you watch it on the net..you don't need a tuner card.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2009, 08:14 pm »
Many network websites (ABC, FOX, NBC, etc) have their own video players available and have available full episodes of their most popular shows,,, usually made available shortly after they've aired nationally. Video quality is very good and this makes for an excellent option for recovering missed shows or simply watching free tv.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2009, 12:42 pm »
I just stumbled on this. I don't know anything about it but it looks interesting.

http://download.cnet.com/FreeZ-Online-TV/3000-13632_4-10915468.html

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2009, 07:27 pm »
I just stumbled on this. I don't know anything about it but it looks interesting.

http://download.cnet.com/FreeZ-Online-TV/3000-13632_4-10915468.html

Doesn't look all that interesting to me. :scratch: The initial website is a false website that leads you to 2 other websites, both with limited channels, many of which aren't even in english. This is atypical of these socalled free tv websites that are nothing more than foreign tv channels.

Cheers,
Robin

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2009, 11:20 pm »
If someone is looking for nothing more than a bunch of TV foreign TV channels check out kiteplayer.

What else can be provided besides aggregation of studios and broadcaster channels across the globe or a subscription based service of the same?