Interested in the RA165 drivers

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Interested in the RA165 drivers
« on: 9 Jul 2007, 08:25 pm »
Hey Al, I'm interested in your RA165 drivers.  I'm thinking of attempting a 'Reference' open baffle project, and have been chatting with Per Skaaning about using a custom C-Quenze 15H for midrange duty, but the RA165 looks very interesting as well.  The concern is spending that much $$$ on a totally unknown driver, what can you tell me about how it sounds compared to other known drivers?  Could you post some higher resolution performance charts?  The ones on your site are pretty hard to read.

RAW

Re: Interested in the RA165 drivers
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2007, 03:32 am »
OK these will help, first off the RA165.16 (16 ohm ) Driver
Test conditions

Fundamental, Harmonics, and Rub&Buzz, were measured using a 1/12th and 1/3rd octave sweep from 20Hz to 20kH

The impedance was measured using a 1/12th octave sweep from 20 Hz - 11Khz at 1.3 VAC.

All measurements were made inside a test box with an apparent volume of 645.7 litres, with the microphone placed inside the box, .33 meters from the loudspeaker.

GRAPH LEGEND

GREEN = Fundamental Frequency Curve (Fundamental vs. Impedance  and  Fundamental + Harmonics Graphs)

DK BLUE =Impedance Curve (Fundamental vs. Impedance Graph only)

LT BLUE = Rub&Buzz Curve (Rub&Buzz Graph only)

RED = 2nd Harmonic Curve (Fundamental + Harmonics Graph only)

WHITE = 3rd Harmonic Curve (Fundamental + Harmonics Graph only)

The Fundamental vs Impedance graph and the Rub&Buzz graph are curves of all 20 speakers in the batch.

The Fundamental vs Impedance graph is a curve of one randomly selected speaker from the batch.

RAW

Re: Interested in the RA165 drivers
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2007, 03:43 am »
Next up the RA165.8 (8ohm )
Test conditions

Fundamental, Harmonics, and Rub&Buzz, were measured using a 1/12th and 1/3rd octave sweep from 20Hz to 20kH

The impedance was measured using a 1/12th octave sweep from 20 Hz - 11Khz at 1.3 VAC.

All measurements were made inside a test box with an apparent volume of 645.7 litres, with the microphone placed inside the box, .33 meters from the loudspeaker.

GRAPH LEGEND

GREEN = Fundamental Frequency Curve (Fundamental vs. Impedance  and  Fundamental + Harmonics Graphs)

DK BLUE =Impedance Curve (Fundamental vs. Impedance Graph only)

LT BLUE = Rub&Buzz Curve (Rub&Buzz Graph only)

RED = 2nd Harmonic Curve (Fundamental + Harmonics Graph only)

WHITE = 3rd Harmonic Curve (Fundamental + Harmonics Graph only)

The Fundamental vs Impedance graph and the Rub&Buzz graph are curves of all 20 speakers in the batch.

The Fundamental vs Impedance graph is a curve of one randomly selected speaker from the batch.

Read a few reviews on them here.
I will not compare them to other drivers I am not into word games , just let peoples comments say it all.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=27076.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=36274.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=37285.new#new