Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #60 on: 15 Nov 2013, 11:01 am »
Hi all,

I am still on the standard firmware, is there any reason as to not to upgrade to Manic Moose....or is worthwhile holding of for x weeks/months until the final version is released..

Tks,

Rich.

Hi

Only update if you want to be involved in beta testing.

james

esklar0723

« Reply #61 on: 15 Nov 2013, 02:31 pm »
HI,

I looked at this and it looks promising.

Is it possible to revert back to my previous stable firmware release after having installed Manic Moose?

Thanks

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #62 on: 15 Nov 2013, 04:34 pm »
HI,

I looked at this and it looks promising.

Is it possible to revert back to my previous stable firmware release after having installed Manic Moose?

Thanks

Hi

There are detailed instructions in the first post under "how to get the beta" that explains what involved in reverting back to the current stable release of loony loon.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #63 on: 15 Nov 2013, 04:52 pm »
HI Chris,

Is there a place you post the new beta's like before on  http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/firmware.html? I'm not near my BDP at the moment, but more than eager to hear from new editions...

which reminds me: would you consider distant updating, and commanding the BDP?

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #64 on: 16 Nov 2013, 02:00 am »
HI Chris,

Is there a place you post the new beta's like before on  http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/firmware.html? I'm not near my BDP at the moment, but more than eager to hear from new editions...

which reminds me: would you consider distant updating, and commanding the BDP?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

All the available beta's are made available by way the Advance Firmware Update page outlined in the instructions.  Currently I believe I have only the most recent update posted as the previous versions were causing filesystem corruption during the update process.  Essentially that page is the equivalent to the old loony loon beta page.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #65 on: 16 Nov 2013, 09:51 am »
ok, thanks.

This means it is only readable through the BDP interface, and not remote, like a webpage? Or is the bdp just reading the webpage http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/manicmoose/ which we can't reach with a regular browser?

Marius

Hi Marius,

All the available beta's are made available by way the Advance Firmware Update page outlined in the instructions.  Currently I believe I have only the most recent update posted as the previous versions were causing filesystem corruption during the update process.  Essentially that page is the equivalent to the old loony loon beta page.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #67 on: 17 Nov 2013, 11:41 am »
Hi Chris,
Thank you.
Simple enough. A pity its not as informative and user-friendly  as the 'old' http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/firmware.html but i guess things take another way. If it makes updating a push of the button-thing in the end, we're with you.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

The way it works is the BDP will check this file

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/manicmoose/avail

this file contains a list of firmware revisions on the server

below is an example for one of the versions README, squashfs file and the location of the boot files files

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/manicmoose/S20020131116/README
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/manicmoose/S20020131116/boot
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/manicmoose/S20020131116/filesystem.squashfs

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/manicmoose/bootr1/vmlinuz1
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/manicmoose/bootr1/initrd1.img

Cheers,
Chris

Scala80

« Reply #68 on: 17 Nov 2013, 01:10 pm »
Hello,

i can´t Update to S20020131116.

Any Idea?

/media/SSD_250GB/bdp_firmware/S20020131116
f0bdb498617beea509de2c0dd1ba3159
b046131adc507a7e7253680a7f96a4b6
f7b311458fa9babe881f9a0ed887660e
Filesystem MD5 Passed
Micro Kernel MD5 Passed
Boot Driver MD5 Passed
Filsystem Check Failed CF: md5 values different
Filsystem Check Check Failed CF: md5 value different

Greetings from Munich - Germany

Christian

Marius

« Reply #69 on: 17 Nov 2013, 02:21 pm »
HI Jim,

Is this what you mean with the 'personal information left in the cache'?
Keeps popping up in my Manic Moose:

Never heard of Daft Punk.... my loss or not.
Anyhow, Chris, please why is this showing? Could you clear it up?

Marius

A couple of minor things with the upgrade
* 12V trigger effectively disables the front power on/off button.   I would update the text to reflect that...
* When you want the user to restart the BDP, I would just display "please reboot now" or something like that.  I didn't know if the BDP was about to restart or if should have restarted it. I gave it some time before i powered it off.
* There's a lot of your (not mine) personal information left in the cache.   You should clean up the album art, NAS, drives etc.  Disable DLNA, etc, etc... even for a beta. 
* Also it might be useful to provide a way to purge the browser cache after a reboot.   Some sites allow you to append the ?action=purge at the end of URL to do that.   It took a while for versions to update.

And some more notes:
*thanks for providing 'less'... now only if we can push you towards vi as a default editor (emacs is my preference but like nano, unnecessary consumes diskspace)
*The web interface seems frozen in time a lot, not unresponsive, just not updating correctly . the cancel and save are in odd spots too, not sure if it's related to the song/playlist or to the setting operations at hand with the update/browse buttons
**The media view is still showing the daft punk.. is this expected or just need to wait for mpd to finish updating?
*What is launch alert, application updates 1,2,3 ?   
*The .albumdb folder might be better as a hash/md5sum.. which would also save on diskspace... (might model git here). 

The interface seems much faster and can't wait to see the kinks worked out, so kudos there.

Jim

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #70 on: 18 Nov 2013, 09:39 pm »
Hello,

i can´t Update to S20020131116.

Any Idea?

/media/SSD_250GB/bdp_firmware/S20020131116
f0bdb498617beea509de2c0dd1ba3159
b046131adc507a7e7253680a7f96a4b6
f7b311458fa9babe881f9a0ed887660e
Filesystem MD5 Passed
Micro Kernel MD5 Passed
Boot Driver MD5 Passed
Filsystem Check Failed CF: md5 values different
Filsystem Check Check Failed CF: md5 value different

Greetings from Munich - Germany

Christian

Hi Guys,

If your getting this and are running firmware earlier then S2.00 2013-11-12 then there is likely some volume corruption that needs repairing.  If your handy with Linux at command line you can login via ssh with the login credentials "root" and "bryston".  Then use "fsck -r /dev/sda1", you'll then be prompted that the number of free cluster is incorrect and will be asked if you want fsck to fix (y or 1) the problem,  Once the repair has been completed restart the bdp by issuing "reboot"

If your not comfortable with issuing commands via ssh simply place your bdp into service mode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0nfBG5xDrA

email or private message me the service number

service mode will allow me to remote into the BDP and fix the issue remotely

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #71 on: 18 Nov 2013, 09:41 pm »
Hi Chris,
Thank you.
Simple enough. A pity its not as informative and user-friendly  as the 'old' http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/firmware.html but i guess things take another way. If it makes updating a push of the button-thing in the end, we're with you.

Cheers,
Marius

We will likely eventually implement a web site to allow users to view the firmware revisions from a web site to download the files to usb thumb drive

Cheers,
Chris

Karhu

« Reply #72 on: 20 Nov 2013, 08:26 pm »
Chris,
When will the Manic Moose be ready to go into the wild.
Will it auto update my DBP2 when this happens?

Thanks,

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #73 on: 21 Nov 2013, 02:39 am »
Chris,
When will the Manic Moose be ready to go into the wild.
Will it auto update my DBP2 when this happens?

Thanks,

The firmware should be ready by early next year, aiming for a febuary release.  The BDP's existing firmware will inform you of the Manic Moose update when we feel it's ready for general consumption.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #74 on: 21 Nov 2013, 02:42 am »
S2.00 2013-11-20 introduces an airplay feature that I have found works "so so" and dlna/upnp renderer that works rather well.  Both these services can be turned on from the services page found under settings on the dashboard.

Cheers
Chris

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #75 on: 22 Nov 2013, 05:54 pm »
Hi Chris, How are you implementing the mixer to switch between airplay and mpd? Is there any sound quality penalty to keeping airplay turned on all the time even when there is no active audio on airplay?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #76 on: 22 Nov 2013, 06:02 pm »
There is no mixer, otherwise that would compromise the BDP's ability to playback audio files.  Simply when a airplay request is made, Shairplay will attempt to take control of the sound card.  If the sound card is being occupied by another process then the airplay feature won't work. 

Cheers
Chris

Ritchief

« Reply #77 on: 22 Nov 2013, 06:27 pm »
Hi Guys,

If your getting this and are running firmware earlier then S2.00 2013-11-12 then there is likely some volume corruption that needs repairing.  If your handy with Linux at command line you can login via ssh with the login credentials "root" and "bryston".  Then use "fsck -r /dev/sda1", you'll then be prompted that the number of free cluster is incorrect and will be asked if you want fsck to fix (y or 1) the problem,  Once the repair has been completed restart the bdp by issuing "reboot"

If your not comfortable with issuing commands via ssh simply place your bdp into service mode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0nfBG5xDrA

email or private message me the service number

service mode will allow me to remote into the BDP and fix the issue remotely

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I have sent you an email regarding this issue.....the BDP is now locked in Error 09 so, cannot activate service mode...

Pse can you assist me....

Thank you.

Marius

« Reply #78 on: 26 Nov 2013, 09:50 am »
HI Chris,

Please implement the keep alive function asap. the BDP keeps getting back to the DaftPunk page after a longer period of inactivity, and a reboot (which is only possible through the bdp itself, not the software) is the sole relief.

While your at that: the login for lat/fm seems crippled yet. is that correct? It now logs in as bryston, which seems a bit unsatisfactory in the privacy-department. I don't want any activity to be logged at all.... not even as bryston ;-)

in a very short view, I saw a button on the initial page 'Play' with one of the attached drives' name. it disappeared again toe be replaced with the for placeholders for Launch alert model and application update 1-3. it did work. Confused the interface through Manic Moose (Daft Punk back again), but on my Mpod saw all tracks of this 2 TB harddrive...... Better build in some warning.
Is this expected behaviour for now?

cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #79 on: 26 Nov 2013, 10:00 pm »
HI Chris,

Please implement the keep alive function asap. the BDP keeps getting back to the DaftPunk page after a longer period of inactivity, and a reboot (which is only possible through the bdp itself, not the software) is the sole relief.

While your at that: the login for lat/fm seems crippled yet. is that correct? It now logs in as bryston, which seems a bit unsatisfactory in the privacy-department. I don't want any activity to be logged at all.... not even as bryston ;-)

in a very short view, I saw a button on the initial page 'Play' with one of the attached drives' name. it disappeared again toe be replaced with the for placeholders for Launch alert model and application update 1-3. it did work. Confused the interface through Manic Moose (Daft Punk back again), but on my Mpod saw all tracks of this 2 TB harddrive...... Better build in some warning.
Is this expected behaviour for now?

cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

I'm not entirely sure what your asking, but i'll try to provide some information.  Currently we are working with web designers who create the HTML and CSS, they fill the page with temp data (ie Daft Punk).  The javascript/ajax/php/etc then replace this temp data with actual data.  Once the web design is done, this temp data will be replaced with more appropriate default values.  last.fm and everything on the MPD page is none functional, currently i am working on the disk information page and this will hoepfully be somewhat functional tonight.  Next i plan on working on the NAS setup and MPD pages, after which i plan on resuming work on the player. 

There are also additional issue's in regards to initial upgrading that seem to be causing havoc (error 09 upon upgrading) with some units that we are also currently working on pinning down.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "keep alive function"?  If your referring to the BDP locking up and replaying the same half second then i guess that answers the following question.

By the way has anyone tried playing back audio over night using manic moose only to find it frozen the following day?  I've had my BDP-2 running for four days straight, looping the same six albums.

The Play <drive name> is a intended addition, the idea is your buddy comes by, you plug in the thumb drive, wait for it to update the database, click the button, it adds the contents to the playlist and starts playing the first song.  The downside is if you have more then a few hundred songs on the drive; the playlist is to large for most devices to handle the large playlist that gets created.

Cheers,
Chris