Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Wim J

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #40 on: 8 Nov 2013, 07:54 am »
Another small thing: the displayed bitrate is in bps, it should be kbps I think. 320bps is for subwoofer-addicts :-)
When WAV files are played, the bitrate stays @ 0bps.

In between all the small issues I would like to say that this new interface has every potential to be way better than the previous one. Keep up the good work Chris! thanks! :thumb:

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 8 Nov 2013, 01:06 pm »
Hi Chris,

The web UI doesn't seem to be looking in the right place for album art. Maybe in this early build, it's just looking into a static location you had entered earlier on? Or perhaps I've done something incorrectly?

The image shows the path where the UI expected to see an image, but seeing as how I don't have a 192.168.1.x IP address at home, I don't think it would have come from me.

Cheers,
Gary

Wim J

« Reply #42 on: 9 Nov 2013, 10:05 am »
nightly build S20020131108 gives me an  error (tried download 3 times)

/media/-1/bdp_firmware/
Filsystem Check Failed: md5 value missingFilsystem Check Failed: md5 value missing

:scratch:

Marius

« Reply #43 on: 9 Nov 2013, 10:32 am »
HI Chris,

regarding my earlier remarks/question saving the firmware upgrade on a local harddrive, as opposed to on a drive attached to the BDP, or even the internal flashcard: this is why:

USB attached drive dirty all over with non music files....  please make it an option.

last build makes it find on the Mac again, and as bryston-bdp-1.local again, Great! Still, services are not implemented ? I can't enable Samba, or DSD over USB. Or, and that;s a big wish MPD 17.x.
keep it up!

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #44 on: 9 Nov 2013, 11:11 am »
HI Chris,

Might I point to an interface-issue: in the various Manic Moose pages, you made the navigation buttons on the top far left and far right. Navigating the software, I find myself switching form left to right, back and forth again. Especially when navigating with a mousepad, this feels kinda awkward, and heavy on the fingers... Not to mention on the eye, where a bit too much effort is necessary to find your way in the interface.
Please have a look at that?

And: where did you hide the Playlists? Not only can't i find the build or save commands, but my previous carefully managed playlists are gone all together.... Luckily I backed them up, but where to put them in the new Root?

Thanks,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #45 on: 9 Nov 2013, 12:13 pm »
HI Chris, all,

2 more for the weekend:

-latest build changed my Last.fm login to bryston. Not able to change it.

- I accidentally found out airplay found the bdp  :thumb:

But how to make it play on the BDP?

Cheers!
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #46 on: 9 Nov 2013, 02:38 pm »
nightly build S20020131108 gives me an  error (tried download 3 times)

/media/-1/bdp_firmware/
Filsystem Check Failed: md5 value missingFilsystem Check Failed: md5 value missing

:scratch:

Hi Wim,

It appears as though it's unable to find the drive it was downloaded to?  Have you tried downloading the firmware to the internal storage (/mnt/img)?

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #47 on: 9 Nov 2013, 05:02 pm »
HI Chris,

regarding my earlier remarks/question saving the firmware upgrade on a local harddrive, as opposed to on a drive attached to the BDP, or even the internal flashcard: this is why:

USB attached drive dirty all over with non music files....  please make it an option.

last build makes it find on the Mac again, and as bryston-bdp-1.local again, Great! Still, services are not implemented ? I can't enable Samba, or DSD over USB. Or, and that;s a big wish MPD 17.x.
keep it up!

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Ok I see now, those files are created during the repartitioning of the internal compact flash drive and are no longer needed once the BDP is up and running with Manic Moose.  Firmware that is downloaded using manic mooses web interface after the fact will go into a folder labeled "bdp_firmware".

Although you can't restart samba or change the password, it is enabled by default.  DSD over USB is automated however it's likely that you dac isn't in the list of known dsd capable dac list which consists of any dac with the letters "dsd" in it's name and the one other listed in the README.  If you send me a copy of your mpd config file (mount the root samba share, /etc/mpd.conf) or place the BDP into service mode and send me the service number I can log into it and get the detected name.  Once I have the name I can add it to the list, or you can wait until I get that far with the development of the web interface.

I havn't gotten to development of the playlist page yet, your existing playlists should be safe though and appear once we have gotten that far in the development.

AirPlay still needs quite a bit of work, it's based on shairplay, however because we have multiple playback program running they tend to interfere with each other.  So a script is going to need to be created to monitor whether or not shairplay can open the sound device, if not to then free up said output device.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #48 on: 9 Nov 2013, 05:10 pm »
HI Chris,

SO I can delete all of the below:
.apdisk
.Temporaryitems
boot (folder)
filesystem.squashfs
img
initrd1.img
vmlinuz1

just to be 100% certain i won't cause my bdp to disfunction....

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Ok I see now, those files are created during the repartitioning of the internal compact flash drive and are no longer needed once the BDP is up and running with Manic Moose.  Firmware that is downloaded using manic mooses web interface after the fact will go into a folder labeled "bdp_firmware".

Although you can't restart samba or change the password, it is enabled by default.  DSD over USB is automated however it's likely that you dac isn't in the list of known dsd capable dac list which consists of any dac with the letters "dsd" in it's name and the one other listed in the README.  If you send me a copy of your mpd config file (mount the root samba share, /etc/mpd.conf) or place the BDP into service mode and send me the service number I can log into it and get the detected name.  Once I have the name I can add it to the list, or you can wait until I get that far with the development of the web interface.

I havn't gotten to development of the playlist page yet, your existing playlists should be safe though and appear once we have gotten that far in the development.

AirPlay still needs quite a bit of work, it's based on shairplay, however because we have multiple playback program running they tend to interfere with each other.  So a script is going to need to be created to monitor whether or not shairplay can open the sound device, if not to then free up said output device.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #49 on: 9 Nov 2013, 05:17 pm »
Hi Marius,

With the exception of the two hidden file (.apdisk and .Temperaryitems), they can be removed.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #50 on: 9 Nov 2013, 05:25 pm »
thanks!
the two hidden files weren't there before, so i suspect the upgrade process to have written them. They must be Mac files though? So it still puzzles me how the BDP caused them to appear... Will doe e blue harvest cleanup, and a Tinker tool System check.

Marius

Hi Marius,

With the exception of the two hidden file (.apdisk and .Temperaryitems), they can be removed.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #51 on: 9 Nov 2013, 05:33 pm »
Hi Marius,

Although you can't restart samba or change the password, it is enabled by default. 
working now, never mind me asking.

DSD over USB is automated however it's likely that you dac isn't in the list of known dsd capable dac list which consists of any dac with the letters "dsd" in it's name and the one other listed in the README.
I have the BDA1.... thought it was capable of DSD?

If you send me a copy of your mpd config file (mount the root samba share, /etc/mpd.conf) or place the BDP into service mode and send me the service number I can log into it and get the detected name.  Once I have the name I can add it to the list, or you can wait until I get that far with the development of the web interface.

Guess i'll wait for your answer whether the BDA1 is capable or not.

ok, there's no place in the root I can drop the files, to have them appear in the interface then?

Ok, again, will wait for you to be ready. Just wanted to let you know it shows in the IOS interface.

Cheers,
Chris

Wim J

« Reply #52 on: 9 Nov 2013, 07:51 pm »
Hi Wim,

It appears as though it's unable to find the drive it was downloaded to?  Have you tried downloading the firmware to the internal storage (/mnt/img)?

Cheers
Chris
Yes, this was the exact location I saved it to,...

I gave it another try, now I get the following errors:

/mnt/img/bdp_firmware/S20020131108
9f6ec7a645c03ded3b036f446c6118e4
b046131adc507a7e7253680a7f96a4b6
f7b311458fa9babe881f9a0ed887660e
Filsystem Check Failed: md5 values different
Filsystem Check Check Failed: md5 value different

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #53 on: 9 Nov 2013, 11:25 pm »
Yes, this was the exact location I saved it to,...

I gave it another try, now I get the following errors:

/mnt/img/bdp_firmware/S20020131108
9f6ec7a645c03ded3b036f446c6118e4
b046131adc507a7e7253680a7f96a4b6
f7b311458fa9babe881f9a0ed887660e
Filsystem Check Failed: md5 values different
Filsystem Check Check Failed: md5 value different

Hi Wim,

You seem to be having problems with the upgrade, perhaps something has gone wrong with the manic moose installation; perhaps it might be best to place the BDP into service mode so I can poke around.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #54 on: 9 Nov 2013, 11:28 pm »

Hi Marius,

I may have forgotten to set the path in the mpd.conf file to the correct folder containing playlists.  I'll check it when I get home.

Cheers,
Chris

Wim J

« Reply #55 on: 9 Nov 2013, 11:57 pm »
Hi Wim,

You seem to be having problems with the upgrade, perhaps something has gone wrong with the manic moose installation; perhaps it might be best to place the BDP into service mode so I can poke around.

Cheers
Chris

After several tries I got a succesfull installation! :thumb:  I don't have a clue what went wrong ,... :scratch:

Marius

« Reply #56 on: 10 Nov 2013, 08:10 am »
Great ! Please do and let us know when you've done so.

While you're at the MPD-page, could you please let me know how to:
-enable MPD watch
-change to 17.x
-and change my last.fm password?

Marius.
Hi Marius,

I may have forgotten to set the path in the mpd.conf file to the correct folder containing playlists.  I'll check it when I get home.

Cheers,
Chris
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2013, 07:50 pm by Marius »

skunark

« Reply #57 on: 10 Nov 2013, 10:04 pm »
A couple of minor things with the upgrade
* 12V trigger effectively disables the front power on/off button.   I would update the text to reflect that...
* When you want the user to restart the BDP, I would just display "please reboot now" or something like that.  I didn't know if the BDP was about to restart or if should have restarted it. I gave it some time before i powered it off.
* There's a lot of your (not mine) personal information left in the cache.   You should clean up the album art, NAS, drives etc.  Disable DLNA, etc, etc... even for a beta. 
* Also it might be useful to provide a way to purge the browser cache after a reboot.   Some sites allow you to append the ?action=purge at the end of URL to do that.   It took a while for versions to update.

And some more notes:
*thanks for providing 'less'... now only if we can push you towards vi as a default editor (emacs is my preference but like nano, unnecessary consumes diskspace)
*The web interface seems frozen in time a lot, not unresponsive, just not updating correctly . the cancel and save are in odd spots too, not sure if it's related to the song/playlist or to the setting operations at hand with the update/browse buttons
**The media view is still showing the daft punk.. is this expected or just need to wait for mpd to finish updating?
*What is launch alert, application updates 1,2,3 ?   
*The .albumdb folder might be better as a hash/md5sum.. which would also save on diskspace... (might model git here). 

The interface seems much faster and can't wait to see the kinks worked out, so kudos there.

Jim
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2013, 12:16 am by skunark »

Marius

« Reply #58 on: 14 Nov 2013, 09:42 am »
Hi Chris,

In trying to copy to the BDP1 I repeatedly get this error message per file after having to enter my administrator password in Mac Finder, and telling me I havent got the authorization for this command. Which I do have of course ;-)

Any ideas? Copying to any of my other network attached drives works fine.

I must say, i had the password issue before (only the error message is new in Manic Moose) when copying to the BDP1 usb drives. Copying an album gave one error. Now i get the errors per track. Before, most of the time these errors went away trying again, and trying not to copy many files at once to different drives. Seems he BDP can't handle too many requests. Maybe a memory thing?

That said, the current error is reappearing on its own, with no other command going on.

Cheers Marius

Ritchief

« Reply #59 on: 15 Nov 2013, 10:59 am »
Hi all,

I am still on the standard firmware, is there any reason as to not to upgrade to Manic Moose....or is worthwhile holding of for x weeks/months until the final version is released..

Tks,

Rich.