Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

zoom25

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2480 on: 6 Oct 2019, 02:25 am »
Those are a lot of libraries to maintain. I initially had local music on PC and then with move to Mac, stayed with iTunes for a number of years. As soon as my library started to get too big to fit on my local desktops or laptops, I knew the time for iTunes was over. Since then, it's been all music on external drive with the same structure and accessing them through different software over time such as Clementine, Amarra, Audirvana Plus, and now Roon along with Bryston.

With respect to the other older and personalized music that was on playlists in iTunes and such, over time I've been manually matching it with Spotify. I know it's lossy, but it's intuitive to use for the entire family and I can actually find odd music here and there that other services simply do not have. I'm only interested in lossless streaming if Spotify does it. No interest in Amazon, Qobuz, or Tidal lossless. I don't need hi-res either. All my music is 16 bit along with certain 24 bit that are more linked to audiophile labels or special releases. Otherwise standard CD quality (16/44.1) lossless is all I need.

I gave up on DAPs, external DAC/amps or transferring music to phone. I can recreate the same music on Spotify and their playlists and simply save them for Offline playback whenever travelling.

Local music is now only reserved for home. Spotify is used exclusively when outside or if there are parties. Everyone knows how to use Spotify that comes over or family members. Roon and Bryston for my personal use.

gbaby

« Reply #2481 on: 6 Oct 2019, 03:19 am »

WAV files can cause problems with metadata using MPD and Manic Moose. I tried id3 tags and/or INFO chunk; some worked and some did not and I couldn't find a common pattern that worked reliably for metadata.

I think this depends on the program you use to import your music. I switched from using the free iTunes importer to using dbpoweramp, and not only do I get all cover art from .wav files but also a much superior sound. The sonic improvements was so great I had to reimport my entire CD library.

Rocket

« Reply #2482 on: 6 Oct 2019, 03:32 am »
Hi Guys,

Hoping to be able to have the benefits of using Manic Moose soon.  My bryson bop 1 was a very early version and I haven't been able to update it as its too complicated to do so for me.  I've sent the bryston back to the australian distributor for a software update through my dealer.  I mainly want to use it for Tidal as I have a prescription.

Cheers Rod

gil99

« Reply #2483 on: 7 Oct 2019, 03:06 pm »
Hi all,
In manic moose how to delete the song in the Favorites playlist created with the star besides the player controls at the top of media player. I have try the same method as for regular playlists but didn't work.
Thank you.

Krutsch

« Reply #2484 on: 1 Nov 2019, 09:42 pm »
Media App Folder browsing is showing hidden directories, as shown in the attached screenshot.

Is that desired behavior?

Krutsch

« Reply #2485 on: 17 Nov 2019, 05:39 pm »
^ Thanks for fixing the hidden files issue.

For the latest BETA:

S2.42 2019-11-14
Media Player - Bryston DB
Recently Added, shows the 50 most recently added albums

Very nice! I've been hoping for that for a while, after seeing this on Soundirock's dashboard.

Although, it took me a few minutes to find the "Recently Added" menu item in Media Player.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2486 on: 18 Nov 2019, 04:59 pm »
Media App Folder browsing is showing hidden directories, as shown in the attached screenshot.

Is that desired behavior?

Its not something we changed, is your unit updating its database?  Sometimes hidden folders appear while MPD is updating its music database.

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2487 on: 18 Nov 2019, 05:03 pm »
^ Thanks for fixing the hidden files issue.

For the latest BETA:

S2.42 2019-11-14
Media Player - Bryston DB
Recently Added, shows the 50 most recently added albums

Very nice! I've been hoping for that for a while, after seeing this on Soundirock's dashboard.

Although, it took me a few minutes to find the "Recently Added" menu item in Media Player.

Last minute feature taken from dashboard v2, not sure if i'm going to finish the revamped dashboard for Manic Moose or not as Manic Moose was officially feature locked as of the BDA-3.14 in favour of Nutty Narwhal development which will include many improvements a revamped gui.

Chris

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2488 on: 18 Nov 2019, 06:07 pm »
Chris

When is the Narwhal to be released for use with all BDP's (-1, -2, -3, Pi, etc)?

Krutsch

« Reply #2489 on: 18 Nov 2019, 08:45 pm »
Last minute feature taken from dashboard v2, not sure if i'm going to finish the revamped dashboard for Manic Moose or not ...

My $0.02 would be to call it done and move the current BETA to RELEASE.

I *do* have a curated collection designed to work around issues with MM and MPD (e.g. multi-disc albums, albums with the same title from different artists, et al.); but, everything is working well with my collection using the Bryston DB. Folder browsing is great. Artist thumbnails are showing up. Complete album art coverage. No issues with special chars in Album/Artist/Song titles or file paths.

gbaby

« Reply #2490 on: 18 Nov 2019, 09:27 pm »
My $0.02 would be to call it done and move the current BETA to RELEASE.

I *do* have a curated collection designed to work around issues with MM and MPD (e.g. multi-disc albums, albums with the same title from different artists, et al.); but, everything is working well with my collection using the Bryston DB. Folder browsing is great. Artist thumbnails are showing up. Complete album art coverage. No issues with special chars in Album/Artist/Song titles or file paths.

I, too, have no issues with Manic Moose if this is what you are saying. It looks quite good with the cover art and the black and grey are easy on the eyes.  8)

ttsto

« Reply #2491 on: 23 Feb 2020, 05:19 pm »
Hi, have been long time since I posted last on this forum  :D
Quick question, I have BDP1 with MM S2.36 running fine with my 80k music library stored on NAS. Browsing is done using folders without problems, I do not use Bryston db
I use Last.fm scrobbler and ReplyGain feature
Do I gain/lose something if I upgrade to latest firmware?
Thank you

Marius

« Reply #2492 on: 17 Feb 2023, 11:29 am »
wow, having been gone for some time, I now revisit and see there's a 3 year gap in this thread...???

Yet, I am still using my BDP-1 and am on Manic Moose so, seems still the correct thread here.

Confess having not used the player for some time, I had to replace the battery yesterday since it was depleted and gave me the ominous 09 error, which I was able to fix with http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Error%2009.pdf

so the machine is downloading the library once again.. and taking its time. gave me the opportunity to see:

which seems a silly mistake ;)

Would love to know what the MPD Ignore  does though?

On the more serious troubles:

Even though the system button indicates my library has all files indexed, there are many folders not showing up, and connectivity still seems to be lost regularly. I noticed one of the last updates had a fix for that, but believe it not to be completely over.

And, even worse: on my iPhone, none of the buttons show, and the interface is really impossible to use, as if it doesnt load completely. Tried refreshing, restarting the web page, even restarted the iPhone (and yes also the BDP1)

could it be some issue with the latest iOS updates maybe?

cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2023, 03:11 pm by Marius »

Jozsef

« Reply #2493 on: 19 Feb 2023, 06:07 am »
I can't seem to find any information on Bryston DB, but I see that some people refer to having it enabled while others have disabled it. I'd really like to know the pros and cons of the choice either way.

I also have a 15GB (that's how the system reports it) USB flash drive for a scratch drive on my BDP-2 but I don't know if that's an appropriate size. I must assume it's a good idea to have it.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Marius

« Reply #2494 on: 20 Feb 2023, 03:05 pm »
3 days later I am still stuck at the same spot....

somehow the System button reports all songs, but when trying to load them from the Media Player there are many simply not displaying.

shows empty. clicking the header adds 400 tracks to the play list, so they are there....

mobile still showing placeholders instead of buttons, like before.

really puzzled, I dont think I know what to do....

gbaby

« Reply #2495 on: 24 Feb 2023, 07:37 pm »
wow, having been gone for some time, I now revisit and see there's a 3 year gap in this thread...???

Yet, I am still using my BDP-1 and am on Manic Moose so, seems still the correct thread here.

Confess having not used the player for some time, I had to replace the battery yesterday since it was depleted and gave me the ominous 09 error, which I was able to fix with http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Error%2009.pdf

so the machine is downloading the library once again.. and taking its time. gave me the opportunity to see:

which seems a silly mistake ;)

Would love to know what the MPD Ignore  does though?

On the more serious troubles:

Even though the system button indicates my library has all files indexed, there are many folders not showing up, and connectivity still seems to be lost regularly. I noticed one of the last updates had a fix for that, but believe it not to be completely over.

And, even worse: on my iPhone, none of the buttons show, and the interface is really impossible to use, as if it doesnt load completely. Tried refreshing, restarting the web page, even restarted the iPhone (and yes also the BDP1)

could it be some issue with the latest iOS updates maybe?

cheers,
Marius

While I am not 100 per cent certain, I believe MPD is the engine that makes your music play so you don’t want to ignore it.

qkot

« Reply #2496 on: 5 Mar 2023, 11:57 am »
Hello,

Is there a way to view the different album bitrates in the MM app when streaming Tidal? IE how do you know if an album on Tidal is a Master or not?

thanks

skunark

« Reply #2497 on: 19 Mar 2023, 05:40 pm »
Is there any plans to improve the user interface to BDP-1/2/3 with a dedicated app or support Spotify Connect and when it becomes available Qobuz Connect?      Or even just openhome.org with upmpdcli. 

alanford69

« Reply #2498 on: 19 Mar 2023, 08:25 pm »
They said in another thread that the new interface called OS3 should be released next summer

gbaby

« Reply #2499 on: 24 Mar 2023, 02:37 am »
They said in another thread that the new interface called OS3 should be released next summer

What would be your expectations from a new interface?