Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Marius

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #140 on: 15 Dec 2013, 09:58 pm »
You might also want to check why BDP/ManicMoose lists my Synology Nas on Mpod, without any files on it, doesn't show it in the Nas section of Manic Moose (thus making it impossible to unshare...), and kills all interaction with it in Mac finder....

Please...?

Marius

I'm going to try and Finnish off the first "round" of getting the settings pages done and start over on the media player.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #141 on: 16 Dec 2013, 09:30 am »
a lot of network issues later, I've got things up and running again. Still, manic moose does seem to interfere with the network functionality somehow, never experienced this before. Had to hard-reboot the Synology Nas for it to be released and read again by the network.

Thought to power down the BDP via the Manic Moose button. After a while went to my auditorium where it's situated and this was on it's frontpanel display:

Shuting down.... a manual (button) power down was still necessary, thus making the software power down in system settings futile i guess. At least on the bdp1.

and now for something completely different, getting our hopes up on a BDP4!:

Cheers,
Marius

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #142 on: 16 Dec 2013, 02:46 pm »
Hi Chris,

I've tried several times to install the new firmware and keep getting an "Update failed:filesystem" message. In order to troubleshoot, I've reformatted the CF card before reimaging the S1.73 firmware, redownloaded the S1.73 firmware img file, and even the firmware20131030.bin file. Any advice?

-Gary

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #143 on: 16 Dec 2013, 04:22 pm »
Hi Chris,

I've tried several times to install the new firmware and keep getting an "Update failed:filesystem" message. In order to troubleshoot, I've reformatted the CF card before reimaging the S1.73 firmware, redownloaded the S1.73 firmware img file, and even the firmware20131030.bin file. Any advice?

-Gary

Hi Gary,

I just now added a second link on the manic moose how to instruction file, this like is to an alternative update file that works slightly differently.

Cheers,
Chris

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #144 on: 16 Dec 2013, 05:37 pm »
Thanks Chris. The alternate bin file allowed me to install Manic Moose, but upon startup, I got Error 09 again.
UPDATE: I replaced the CF card with my backup card that has S1.73 on it. and I still get error 09. I reflashed the backup CF card and still get error 09. Looks like my BDP is bricked as it won't boot from either the new firmware beta or S1.73.

-Gary
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2013, 06:43 pm by gdayton »

Marius

« Reply #145 on: 16 Dec 2013, 06:50 pm »
Gary, try the other possible options causing error 09, check your serial cable at least:

Hi Guys,

The error 09 means that the microprocessor that turns the power supply on/off and controls the buttons/display on the front of the unit hasn't received any communication from the mainboard within two minutes of power being applied.  If you get error 09 you should turn the unit off, then back on and pay attention to your DAC.  If your DAC is receiving signal from the BDP before the error 09 message appears then its likely a loose cable inside your system.  The serial cable in a BDP-1 is a ten pin grey ribbon cable to runs from the front of the unit to the mainboard, just behind the RS232 port on the rear.  A BDP-2 uses a cable made of five individual wires (red, blue, green, black and brown; please keep in mind I'm colour blind so I may have those colours wrong), we have had one occasion that i can recall where one of the wires had  broken from the connector.

If the DAC isn't receiving lock/signal then either the BDP is trying to boot from another source (another drive), doesn't have enough power to POST or the BDP's internal CF card (Kingston or Apacer) is no longer functioning.  To determine which is the case, whether it be the drives/power or the cf card, unplug all the drives from the BDP and try powering it on.  If the error continues you will need to either follow the instructions list below, or if your unable to do so we can make arrangements for repair.

BDP Reimage CF Card on Mac OS X(PDF)
BDP Reimage CF Card on Windows (PDF)

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris. The alternate bin file allowed me to install Manic Moose, but upon startup, I got Error 09 again.
UPDATE: I replaced the CF card with my backup card that has S1.73 on it. and I still get error 09. I reflashed the backup CF card and still get error 09. Looks like my BDP is bricked as it won't boot from either the new firmware beta or S1.73.

-Gary

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #146 on: 17 Dec 2013, 02:27 am »
Whoops
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2013, 02:24 am by unincognito »

Wim J

« Reply #147 on: 17 Dec 2013, 10:42 pm »
 :thumb:
I have the latest Manic Moose software operational 2013-12-13   :D

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #148 on: 18 Dec 2013, 08:41 pm »
Got it, Removing the thumb drive I use as a scratch disk allows the unit to boot from either of my CF cards. Is the BDP trying to boot from the thumb drive? Why would that be the issue? Either way, I'm back up and running.

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #149 on: 18 Dec 2013, 09:50 pm »
Something in the web interface is hogging memory. After about 30-45 minutes. It becomes unresponsive, and the associated tab in Chrome is consuming more than 1 gig of RAM. I'll try in Firefox and IE and report back.

UPDATE: Hrm...After 3 hours of running on Firefox, it stands at 276MB - still quite a lot IMHO, but not the horrific amount consumed in Chrome.

-Gary
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2013, 01:43 am by gdayton »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #150 on: 19 Dec 2013, 01:48 am »
You might also want to check why BDP/ManicMoose lists my Synology Nas on Mpod, without any files on it, doesn't show it in the Nas section of Manic Moose (thus making it impossible to unshare...), and kills all interaction with it in Mac finder....

Please...?

Marius

Regarding the NAS ycould you double heck what version of MPD is being used?

Cheers
Chris

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #151 on: 19 Dec 2013, 03:42 am »
I hadn't done a single firmware update since the official NAS release. Prior to that, Chris resolved a curious (rights) issue with what came in my player, and then opened the door to NAS support (which is why I bought it, but I don't use NAS anymore - Bryston had it right all along :lol:) via the then beta/pre-release.

I moved it up to the most recent release. Everything went without a hitch and the interface was slicker. Overall, I thought it was an improvement to what I already liked. The newest look lured me in, and I decided to try out manic moose. I can play music, but that's pretty much all that works. Did I Cliff Note right past an important detail? Here's a screenshot. I can't change any settings. There were no errors throughout the update process, or since. The only issue was that the two reboots required physical shutdowns - it would display that it was shutting down ad infinitum. I think I may have the loony moose firmware. :lol:

Marius

« Reply #152 on: 19 Dec 2013, 06:18 am »
I Had that exact behaviour while building the AlbumArt Database, and was one of the reasons that still did not work in Loony Loon . Never made it ever since..

Marius
Something in the web interface is hogging memory. After about 30-45 minutes. It becomes unresponsive, and the associated tab in Chrome is consuming more than 1 gig of RAM. I'll try in Firefox and IE and report back.

UPDATE: Hrm...After 3 hours of running on Firefox, it stands at 276MB - still quite a lot IMHO, but not the horrific amount consumed in Chrome.

-Gary

Marius

« Reply #153 on: 19 Dec 2013, 06:21 am »
Sure,

this is what it shows, don't know if its fake or not of course, maybe ssh (you'd have to tell me the command please..) and be sure?:

Regarding the NAS ycould you double heck what version of MPD is being used?

Cheers
Chris

Wim J

« Reply #154 on: 20 Dec 2013, 10:24 am »
Same here; Running mpd 0.17.5, and also problems with web interface becoming unresponsive and not showing correct info. A problem that I have seen in every Manic Moose release, incluiding the latest. I was hoping the rewritten web-interface would solve this  but this is not the case.

Wim J

« Reply #155 on: 20 Dec 2013, 10:48 am »
Example of playing title not corresponding with what is indicated in the main screen. Indication in left colum is always correct.!

Bavarian05

« Reply #156 on: 20 Dec 2013, 10:02 pm »
Does the BDP-1 Manic Moose firmware output DSD files through all outputs (BNC, AES and USB) or only through the USB output? Those that are using it to play DSD, which DAC are you using? scratch:
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2013, 11:45 pm by Bavarian05 »

Bavarian05

« Reply #157 on: 21 Dec 2013, 01:48 am »
Does the BDP-1 Manic Moose firmware output DSD files through all outputs (BNC, AES and USB) or only through the USB output? Those that are using it to play DSD, which DAC are you using? scratch:
Anyone??

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #158 on: 21 Dec 2013, 02:04 am »
Anyone??

No, only USB. I believe there is a DRM restriction that prevents DSD from being sent over simplex transmission lines.

Bavarian05

« Reply #159 on: 21 Dec 2013, 02:20 am »
Thank you Gdayton. Bummer. Mytek does DSD over BNC on the Pro model.
I wonder how they get around the DRM restriction.
Are you running DSD with yours and which DAC are you using?