Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

lwschwartz

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #100 on: 1 Dec 2013, 01:25 pm »
Update Started - 2013/12/1-5:52:42
Downloading New Firmware (this may take awhile)- 2013/12/1-5:52:42
00%. 01%. 02%. 03%. 04%. 05%. 06%. 07%. 08%. 09%. 10%. 11%. 12%. 13%. 14%. 15%. 16%. 17%. 18%. 19%. 20%. 21%. 22%. 23%. 24%. 25%. 26%. 27%. 28%. 29%. 30%. 31%. 32%. 33%. 34%. 35%. 36%. 37%. 38%. 39%. 40%. 41%. 42%. 43%. 44%. 45%. 46%. 47%. 48%. 49%. 50%. 51%. 52%. 53%. 54%. 55%. 56%. 57%. 58%. 59%. 60%. 61%. 62%. 63%. 64%. 65%. 66%. 67%. 68%. 69%. 70%. 71%. 72%. 73%. 74%. 75%. 76%. 77%. 78%. 79%. 80%. 81%. 82%. 83%. 84%. 85%. 86%. 87%. 88%. 89%. 90%. 91%. 92%. 93%. 94%. 95%. 96%. 97%. 98%. 99%.
Checking Firmware Integrity - 2013/12/1-6:3:53
95a6c7b6fed926a573607ed9f4deff41 /live/image/live/filesystem.new - 2013/12/1-6:3:56
Upgrade Failed:filesystem, 2 - 2013/12/1-6:3:56
F

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #101 on: 2 Dec 2013, 12:04 am »
Thank you Chris,

Things are getting better and better. On the MPD page you said settings are done now, but when i select MPD Watch and Apply, Im thrown back to MPD version 15.2 and bryston appears again on the last.fm login page...? Those login credentials still don't stick btw. Something's not right.

And, Shairplay: I seem to be able to select it on clients machines, but, nothing happens on the BDP side, and, sometimes i have to disable shairply altogether to be able to play anything again. That is to say, have the bdp make any sound. It seems to play alright, all progress bars are moving, but no music is played. Unselecting shairply then makes it work again.

Marius

Hi Marius,

You need to ignore the first two buttons (apple and login) and use the "Apply (click here)" button at the very bottom. The other buttons will be removed in a future update.

In regards to Shairplay, if MPD is using ALSA, then Shairplay won't function and may cause the two programs to fight over the output device.  Shairplay has been reliable as long as it's started while MPD's playlist is cleared.  That's not to say that there may not be something wrong with it.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #102 on: 2 Dec 2013, 12:09 am »
Hi Chris,

I tried to upgrade to Manic Moose.  It failed several times.  I have pasted the errors below.  It is very possible that my internet connection is not the best.  I have to use Verizon wireless internet because I won't get a land based internet connection until the FCC starts making the payments to the carriers that were promised to them some years ago.  Unfortunately, downloads can fail checksum because of the connection.  So, is there a link to the bin file I need so I can download it at Starbucks onto a USB drive and update the BDP-2 from there?

Any idea why the USB out to the DAC would suddenly stop working, and unable to get it working, after a month of working fine.  Happens under the Looney Loons release.

Thanks, Larry

Hi Larry,

Which dac are using and how is the dac being turned on?  Unfortunately we have yet to come up with a reliable method of updating the firmware via USB with the loony loon firmware.  However we could release an image of the manic moose firmware; this would require the removal of the BDP's internal flash drive and a cf card reader.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #103 on: 2 Dec 2013, 07:45 am »
 :scratch: :scratch:
don't have that one... on MPD page I've got: save (upper right), apply (below enable MPD watch), and Apply (this one)(below last.fm). none of them work.

please make a screenshot of that?
Marius

Hi Marius,

You need to ignore the first two buttons (apple and login) and use the "Apply (click here)" button at the very bottom. The other buttons will be removed in a future update.

Chris
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2013, 03:08 pm by Marius »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #104 on: 2 Dec 2013, 03:04 pm »
Correect, its apply (this one) and will only appear if you havn't click either of the first two.

Cheers,
Chris

lwschwartz

« Reply #105 on: 3 Dec 2013, 02:37 pm »
Hi Larry,

Which dac are using and how is the dac being turned on?  Unfortunately we have yet to come up with a reliable method of updating the firmware via USB with the loony loon firmware.  However we could release an image of the manic moose firmware; this would require the removal of the BDP's internal flash drive and a cf card reader.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

I am using a McIntosh D-100.  The DAC is turned on manually before the BDP-2.  The coax to the DAC works fine but the USB quit working.  To see if the DAC was the problem, I connected a Mac Mini to it and a VortexBox to it and both could see the DAC and play to it.  The BDP-2 sounded better through the USB than it does through the coax and better than either the Mac Mini or VortexBox so I would like to get it working again.

I have a cf card reader that I have used for moving camera images to my Mac Pro.

Thanks,
Larry

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #106 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:33 pm »
Hi Chris,

I am using a McIntosh D-100.  The DAC is turned on manually before the BDP-2.  The coax to the DAC works fine but the USB quit working.  To see if the DAC was the problem, I connected a Mac Mini to it and a VortexBox to it and both could see the DAC and play to it.  The BDP-2 sounded better through the USB than it does through the coax and better than either the Mac Mini or VortexBox so I would like to get it working again.

I have a cf card reader that I have used for moving camera images to my Mac Pro.

Thanks,
Larry

Hi Larry,

could you place the BDP into service mode and email me the service number, this will allow me to remote into the BDP and see why it isn't seeing the USB output to your macintosh D100 dac.

Cheers,
Chris

lwschwartz

« Reply #107 on: 4 Dec 2013, 03:24 pm »
Hi Chris,

I am not sure how to put it into service mode.  None the less, I reset the unit and now have it working.  Do you see any reason that I can't use the other SATA port on the motherboard for a second SSD rather than an ESATA?  It is easier for me to copy my FLAC files to the SSD on my computer and then install it into the BDP-2 than keep up with external drives.

Thank you for your willingness to help.  The new Manic Moose release looks like a major improvement over Looney Loons.  Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Larry

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #108 on: 5 Dec 2013, 01:21 am »
Hi Chris,

Really glad to see that you added NAS support today. Thanks! If I may share a few observations and suggestions:
  • I have two drives attached to one computer that is my make-shift NAS. Adding the first drive worked great, but when trying to add the 2nd drive, the host computer showed two shares per drive: one for AFP and one for SMB, none of the 4 worked I received an error stating that the name of the share did not exist. I rebooted the BDP after the first drive finished indexing, and the computer showed up once as it had the first time. I will try and duplicate the error and give you the error report tomorrow.
  • Having the entry fields in between the home and next buttons be horizontal instead of vertical limits the number of legible characters. I recommend stacking the fields vertically and increasing the width of them.
  • Unrelated to the NAS function, I wish a method existed in the new web UI to remove and reorder tracks in the playlist. I don't think simply being able to clear the playlist and start over is sufficient.
Thanks for the continued hard work.
-Gary

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #109 on: 5 Dec 2013, 02:41 am »
Hi Chris,

I am not sure how to put it into service mode.  None the less, I reset the unit and now have it working.  Do you see any reason that I can't use the other SATA port on the motherboard for a second SSD rather than an ESATA?  It is easier for me to copy my FLAC files to the SSD on my computer and then install it into the BDP-2 than keep up with external drives.

Thank you for your willingness to help.  The new Manic Moose release looks like a major improvement over Looney Loons.  Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Larry

Hi Larry,

The only problem with installing a second internal drive would be acquiring a power cable and mounting the drive.  I'm sure you could find the 4pin mini molex to sata power connector online, I just don't know how common it would be or if your handy with a soldering iron you could make one easily enough. As far as the lack of securing the drive, personally I would just tape the bottom of the second drive to the top of the existing drive, it works surprisingly well with SSD's.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #110 on: 5 Dec 2013, 02:47 am »
Hi Chris,

Really glad to see that you added NAS support today. Thanks! If I may share a few observations and suggestions:
  • I have two drives attached to one computer that is my make-shift NAS. Adding the first drive worked great, but when trying to add the 2nd drive, the host computer showed two shares per drive: one for AFP and one for SMB, none of the 4 worked I received an error stating that the name of the share did not exist. I rebooted the BDP after the first drive finished indexing, and the computer showed up once as it had the first time. I will try and duplicate the error and give you the error report tomorrow.
  • Having the entry fields in between the home and next buttons be horizontal instead of vertical limits the number of legible characters. I recommend stacking the fields vertically and increasing the width of them.
  • Unrelated to the NAS function, I wish a method existed in the new web UI to remove and reorder tracks in the playlist. I don't think simply being able to clear the playlist and start over is sufficient.
Thanks for the continued hard work.
-Gary

Hi Gary,

If your using a Mac to host the shares, well there are problems with Mac OS X 10.7 and newer.  If this is the case try running a program called smbup, available from macupdate.com.  Although AFP shares are listed, they do not work as of yet, I hope to have that functioning sometime next week.

In regards to the the current playlist, I agree; it's also a feature that was in loony loon.  I hope to spend the months of January and February refining the new media player.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #112 on: 5 Dec 2013, 07:36 am »
HI Chris,

I share Gary's thoughts on the Nas interface: I can;t read the buttons, so don;t know what to do in fact. I tried to enter the credentials, but nothing happened. Can we select separate folders on a share already? What to enter in the Share-field. An actual folder on the share, or the virtual name one wants to see in the interface.

It might be nice if you'd hide the password.

Gary mentions playlists, which reminds me: where are the playlists? I can't find any of my previously made lists. I do see them in Mpod/Mpad so the must be there, I can even see them in Finder  in Root display. but not in Manic Moose.

And then this happened, What to do?

one other thing: i clicked the scratch button to select the drive for the album database, like before. Still, not database is being built, but i do see a file called .bdp_scratch on the selected drive. Wasn't there before i believe. Is this expected behaviour? And how to fix the album database....

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Gary,

If your using a Mac to host the shares, well there are problems with Mac OS X 10.7 and newer.  If this is the case try running a program called smbup, available from macupdate.com.  Although AFP shares are listed, they do not work as of yet, I hope to have that functioning sometime next week.

In regards to the the current playlist, I agree; it's also a feature that was in loony loon.  I hope to spend the months of January and February refining the new media player.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #114 on: 5 Dec 2013, 02:19 pm »
HI Chris,

I share Gary's thoughts on the Nas interface: I can;t read the buttons, so don;t know what to do in fact. I tried to enter the credentials, but nothing happened. Can we select separate folders on a share already? What to enter in the Share-field. An actual folder on the share, or the virtual name one wants to see in the interface.

It might be nice if you'd hide the password.

Gary mentions playlists, which reminds me: where are the playlists? I can't find any of my previously made lists. I do see them in Mpod/Mpad so the must be there, I can even see them in Finder  in Root display. but not in Manic Moose.

And then this happened, What to do?

one other thing: i clicked the scratch button to select the drive for the album database, like before. Still, not database is being built, but i do see a file called .bdp_scratch on the selected drive. Wasn't there before i believe. Is this expected behaviour? And how to fix the album database....

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

The NAS setup interface is still in early development and has yet to be settled.  One of the current problems in loony loon is that it's unable to interpret the list of shares returned from some NAS devices.  The idea of having the text boxes for each piece of information is to allow the end user to enter and change any variable before the share is added.  Finally the password is kept in the clear to prevent accidental incorrect passwords from causing problems.

I'm not sure why your getting that error message, I'll have to take a look at it when I get back to work next week.  The new method for identifying the scratch drive is a file on the drive with the file name .bdp_scratch.  This may change as I have yet to test how reliable this method will be.

Cheers,
Chris

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #115 on: 5 Dec 2013, 02:57 pm »
Hi Gary,

Cheers
Chris

Points well taken. I'll check out smbup. I'm using a 1st gen intel mac mini running 10.6.8 which seems to behave nicely with SMB shares otherwise. I tried running freenas on it, but my bios won't boot from USB!

Marius

« Reply #116 on: 5 Dec 2013, 06:30 pm »
H chris,

after updating to the latest version, this is what I get on the BDP's display:

My BDp won't move, or play, hard and soft reboot. Plug and unplug.....
checked again, rebooted by unplugging, with and without drives attached. No response, To buttons and/or Mpod/Mpad. Nothing in Mac's finder. The update sure broke things this time  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris, please, what to do?

Marius
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2013, 11:08 pm by Marius »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #117 on: 6 Dec 2013, 03:49 am »
H chris,

after updating to the latest version, this is what I get on the BDP's display:

My BDp won't move, or play, hard and soft reboot. Plug and unplug.....
checked again, rebooted by unplugging, with and without drives attached. No response, To buttons and/or Mpod/Mpad. Nothing in Mac's finder. The update sure broke things this time  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris, please, what to do?

Marius

Hi Marius,

Does the BDA lock about thirty seconds before the error 09 message and then loses lock?  Or no lock from power on to error 09?

Either way you'll need to reflash the cf card using the instructions in the PDF file posted under how to get manic moose.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #118 on: 6 Dec 2013, 07:44 am »
Hi Chris ,

It boots, displays Initializing, with the accompanying progress dots, and then
 locks. I tried pushing buttons, no effect.

Could I also try an older flashcard I have in an other Bdp motherboard?
I am on a Mac, instructions are Windows only.... Any suggestions to a good Mac app? Maybe diskutily can do this too?

Important: What caused this error 09, and even more so; what will prevent this from happening again, when upgrading the firmware again?

Marius
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2013, 02:46 pm by Marius »

Wim J

« Reply #119 on: 6 Dec 2013, 06:49 pm »
I'm having exactly the same problem !!!  Also after the latest firmware update .....1204

Error 09 

UPDATE: I reloaded the  LoonyLoon but it gives me the same error 09 !

Looks like the update bricked my BDP1,....   :nono:

UPDATE 2 : I repeated the whole procedure and hey it's working again (on LoonyLoon)  :scratch:
UPDATE 3: the moment I load ManicMoose again (folowing the procedures) It gives me 'error 09' again.  :duh:
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2013, 08:26 pm by Wim J »