My new CAPS V2+ build; best digital I've heard

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Re: My new CAPS V2+ build; best digital I've heard
« Reply #180 on: 30 Dec 2012, 03:00 pm »
At the risk of derailing this thread further, the mobo on my server crapped out as well the night of December 21, for which I blame the Mayan calendar and solstice. Good thing I'm getting ready to build my own Intel DN2800MT based version of the CAPS V2+ or CAPS V3 Topanga/Lagoon/Carbon. NOTE: the server that crashed is not a CAPS design but a cheapass basement computer I built to rip CDs and run slimserver for my Squeezeboxes.

Woke up Saturday morning to completely powerless brick of a computer - no lights, no fans, not a beep or even a peep when hitting the power button. Spent a good couple of hours messing with it before getting a new power supply even though the current one tested fine with a multimeter. Then the real time-wasting began (I'm with you MichaelHifi, the wasted hours diagnosing a problem and not knowing if you can even get it running again is the the biggest loss when a mobo goes down).

Suffice to say I've narrowed it down to several potential problems - bad PSU which I replaced, a possibly bad RAM chip which I've removed (computer will only POST without this RAM chip in place) and a possible power management issue with the mobo. I won't go into the agonizingly convoluted trials and errors I went through, but at least it is back up and running and at the very least I can use it for CD ripping (I purpose-built this server with a specific CDROM drive and use EAC for ripping).

Time to order my CAPS parts - should be a helluva alot easier and quick to build than what I've been dealing with the past week.

AKLegal

« Reply #181 on: 30 Dec 2012, 07:12 pm »
So after spending most of my day troubleshooting I've determined that the card is dead. The MB USB may be damaged but I found a temporary workaround for the USB issue. I've got music playing again without the card so at least I can listen to computer audio which is remarkably good without the card and power supply!

This really is frustrating. It's not just the money but it's time spent. I'm willing to spend time in setup but I bet I've logged 20 hours between 2 cards. The first one came broken and the second dies because house loses power?

I'll report back how the company wants to warranty this.

How does a MoBo die? See items 3 & 4 under the precautions part of the manual.

According to the "precautions" see items 3 and 4!

I am going to build a CAPS soon and I am doing it without the SoTm card.  Your story was the clincher for me, a simple loss of power caused all of that.  I am a former IT guy too and I have read too many stories about card failures to be comfortable with spending $350 on one.  I have a couple of 10 year old computers with far cheaper components that withstood years of use during my college days running off a simple surge protector and they can run Linux flawlessly to this day.  This after hundreds of power outages between them.

So, I guess we could run both the CAPS and the SoTm card off battery power.  When I get around to doing battery power for my upcoming CAPS build I'll consider a SoTm card at that time. 

Michael, how do you have your computer hooked into your system right now?

AKLegal

« Reply #182 on: 31 Dec 2012, 12:02 am »
I think cutting the VCC or power wire to a standard USB port would give alot of the same benefits as the SoTm card.  The main benefit to the SoTm seems to be power filtering which you simply don't need if you plan on using a external DAC or some other usb to DAC device that has its own power. 

http://www.instructables.com/id/Adding-an-external-power-supply-to-a-cheap-USB-hub/step3/Cut-the-VCC-wire-of-the-USB-cable/

Then you could output USB without the noise USB power introduces into the system.  Maybe DIY a USB cable and cut the VCC wire or put a large resistor inline.  USB ports only give power when required like a wall outlet so simply cutting the VCC wire in a USB cable should not cause any issues downstream in the computer.  This is going to be the first thing I try after I build my CAPS in mid January.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #183 on: 31 Dec 2012, 01:00 am »
AKLegal,
Not all together true.  Just because an external DAC is powered doesn't mean it does not use the potentially noisy 5V that travels down the USB wire.  Many many DACS do.  Don't cut that wire if you use my Meitner MA-1; it won't see the computer!!  Hence the existence of better power for the 5V (filtering, iFi USB power supplies, SOtM battery, etc etc).

AKLegal

« Reply #184 on: 31 Dec 2012, 06:45 am »
I get what you are saying but I'll try it out.  The worst thing that could happen is that I waste a USB cable.  No big whoop.  If that doesn't work, maybe I'll try a small inline cap. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #185 on: 31 Dec 2012, 01:01 pm »
Had PI Audio make me a externally powered DISCREET USB cable that can be powered by the 5V side of a BatteryBUSS to run my DAC.  Works well and sounds great! 

That is another alternative if you need DC power for the USB DAC. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #186 on: 31 Dec 2012, 01:20 pm »
Yes, dual conduit cables are an option, and the iFi USB power supply allows for it, too.  I will finish my review iFi and comment on using the AR 1.0SP.

AKLegal

« Reply #187 on: 1 Jan 2013, 08:17 pm »
The iUSB looks interesting.  I am near a retailer seller, maybe they will allow a audition.

jkelly

« Reply #188 on: 5 Jan 2013, 09:40 pm »
OK got up and running today on my system.
Coming off a Mac Mini and I am not complaining!

Going thru the SoTM card to a Tranquility DAC no preamp
direct into a Audio Alchemy OM150 amp.

I am using WASAPI but don't know much more about JRiver.
Since I am using JRiver volume should I have a dithered setting enabled?

Thanks all.

Jeff

« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2013, 11:29 pm by jkelly »

jkelly

« Reply #189 on: 6 Jan 2013, 04:42 am »
I am using a Keces DC-115 for the PS and a separate adjustable supply for the USB board.
Does anyone know if I can drop one of the outputs of the Keces to 9v to feed the USB card?

Jeff

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #190 on: 6 Jan 2013, 04:49 am »
Jeff,
I think 9V will be too much for the SOtM card.

jkelly

« Reply #191 on: 6 Jan 2013, 04:52 am »
Just going by the specs - should I drop to 6v?

External power input (not included)
Input voltage : +6.5V ~ +9Vdc
Input current : 2A max
5.5mm OD x 2.1mm ID DC adaptor jack

Jeff

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #192 on: 6 Jan 2013, 04:58 am »
I know it says that but a couple folks have fried their cards at around that voltage I think...I'd ask Jesus at Sonore US.  I have both the SOtM battery and the iFi USB external 5V power supply.  Neither are more than 7V I don't think.

jkelly

« Reply #193 on: 6 Jan 2013, 05:16 am »
Thanks - I am now at 6v. and I have a email in.

Jeff

TomS

« Reply #194 on: 6 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm »
I am using a Keces DC-115 for the PS and a separate adjustable supply for the USB board.
Does anyone know if I can drop one of the outputs of the Keces to 9v to feed the USB card?

Jeff

I assume that's possible. My KECES does 12v and 5v so just shoot them an email.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #195 on: 19 Jan 2013, 06:27 pm »
Upon return from CES my CAPS V2+ tells me the Windows 8 Preview has expired.  I then installed the $39.99 upgrade as a clean install (via WinUSB bootable USB thumb drive) and all went well.  I have everything back up with full Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.  Yeah!

jkelly

« Reply #196 on: 27 Jan 2013, 03:37 pm »
After using the CAPS V2+ build for two weeks, I have to say I am very pleased with the sound
in the system. 

I am running Win8 32bit with 4 gig ram Sota and internal mSata drive and external USB drive with Flac.

Startisback Start menu.

Still using the KECES PS for the PC and a separate 2 amp variable supply running at 7 volts for the USB card.

JRiver 18 with WASAPI. and Fabfilter Pro Q at 80 hz for a little bottom help.

Fidelizer - Extreme mode.  This was the tipper for me.  Brought the magic and strength.

Feeding Tranquility DAC and Ampino amp to Open Baffle MJAO (design by Scorpion)

Going forward I will move to 64 bit when I can grab a 64 bit download. and play with other power supplies.

Thanks!

Jeff

sebassie

Fidelizer
« Reply #197 on: 27 Jan 2013, 06:56 pm »
@ Ted_b

Today I got email from Keetakawee Punpeng about killing the browser after running fidelizer.
I quote "You can add taskkill after some specific second. I need to add that as counter-measure against company trying to integrate Fidelizer in their platform and claim for $$$ as their own innovation.
Regards,
Windows X"

I googled a bit and found taskkill.exe plus some advise how to set the right switches. It should be possible to close the browser.
Maybe this helps?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #198 on: 27 Jan 2013, 11:31 pm »
Nice find.  lets work on it; I just got back from some travelling so I will attack it this week coming up.

Jeff,
I am glad the Caps V2+ is sounding good.  Be careful of using USB for both hard drive music library and for SOtM card.  They just might fight each other within the bus architecture somewhere, but sounds like they don't.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #199 on: 28 Jan 2013, 03:07 am »
I am going to build a CAPS soon and I am doing it without the SoTm card.  Your story was the clincher for me, a simple loss of power caused all of that.  I am a former IT guy too and I have read too many stories about card failures to be comfortable with spending $350 on one.  I have a couple of 10 year old computers with far cheaper components that withstood years of use during my college days running off a simple surge protector and they can run Linux flawlessly to this day.  This after hundreds of power outages between them.

So, I guess we could run both the CAPS and the SoTm card off battery power.  When I get around to doing battery power for my upcoming CAPS build I'll consider a SoTm card at that time. 

Michael, how do you have your computer hooked into your system right now?

It's been another weird journey into computeraudioland. Frustrating at times, magical at times as well. I tested my card in another system and it lives. My mainboard is damaged though. So then I had an expensive card, and instructions which outline how easily this card and the associated mainboard can be damaged. Now what? So I bought another mainboard, a ASRock E350M1-USB3. Added a SATA3 1TB internal hard drive and 16 gigs of memory. Also picked up a 150watt PICO supply to feed the rails. With the CORA 12volt supply I hardwired using 18awg gold over 4 nines silver (cause I had it in my inventory :) to the PICO. The SoTM is being fed with a Welborne supply a friend bought me. (Got good audio friends, crazy but good). The supplies get their power from a Power Plant Premier using some very nice DIY power cords.

2 nights ago I had installed some blocking caps on the input side of my amps. My speakers are Super V's which have separate amps to power their servo subs so I thought, let's give the Joules only what they need. It was revelatory. I mean stunning. There was such clarity, space, depth, it was tough to put my little one to bed and shut down the system. Then I discovered that Fidelizor wasn't running in the system. Employing Fedilzor changed the system to a more analog sound than my turntable. My wife was loving it big time but I had some issues with this "new Sound". Was it too smooth? Have I become accustomed to some noise which translates into perceived leading edge transients? Not leaving what was already spectacular alone I plugged my amps into the wall bypassing the AC re-generator, just to see. Not good. Bringing them back to the PPP didn't bring back what we were hearing the night before, something had changed. My system had retreated back somehow. This analog sound we had witnessed had disappeared mostly due to my fiddling about.  :duh:
Don't get me wrong, the system sounds amazing  8). But where did that "analog" sound come from?

One oddity that keeps coming to mind is that somehow running Fidelizor so dramatically changed the sound from what is was, there must be some switch or setting that I've missed.  :?