My new CAPS V2+ build; best digital I've heard

AKLegal

Re: My new CAPS V2+ build; best digital I've heard
« Reply #200 on: 28 Jan 2013, 05:01 am »
It's been another weird journey into computeraudioland. Frustrating at times, magical at times as well. I tested my card in another system and it lives. My mainboard is damaged though. So then I had an expensive card, and instructions which outline how easily this card and the associated mainboard can be damaged. Now what? So I bought another mainboard, a ASRock E350M1-USB3. Added a SATA3 1TB internal hard drive and 16 gigs of memory. Also picked up a 150watt PICO supply to feed the rails. With the CORA 12volt supply I hardwired using 18awg gold over 4 nines silver (cause I had it in my inventory :) to the PICO. The SoTM is being fed with a Welborne supply a friend bought me. (Got good audio friends, crazy but good). The supplies get their power from a Power Plant Premier using some very nice DIY power cords.

2 nights ago I had installed some blocking caps on the input side of my amps. My speakers are Super V's which have separate amps to power their servo subs so I thought, let's give the Joules only what they need. It was revelatory. I mean stunning. There was such clarity, space, depth, it was tough to put my little one to bed and shut down the system. Then I discovered that Fidelizor wasn't running in the system. Employing Fedilzor changed the system to a more analog sound than my turntable. My wife was loving it big time but I had some issues with this "new Sound". Was it too smooth? Have I become accustomed to some noise which translates into perceived leading edge transients? Not leaving what was already spectacular alone I plugged my amps into the wall bypassing the AC re-generator, just to see. Not good. Bringing them back to the PPP didn't bring back what we were hearing the night before, something had changed. My system had retreated back somehow. This analog sound we had witnessed had disappeared mostly due to my fiddling about.  :duh:
Don't get me wrong, the system sounds amazing  8). But where did that "analog" sound come from?

One oddity that keeps coming to mind is that somehow running Fidelizor so dramatically changed the sound from what is was, there must be some switch or setting that I've missed.  :?

I got my CAPSv3 up and running yesterday, unfortunately for me Danny has my Decade D2 crossovers for a upgrade  :(

I'll try the Fidelizer program.  I was going to shut services off manually but it should save some time.  Good to hear that things were not as bad as you feared.

wndrmke

« Reply #201 on: 28 Jan 2013, 06:04 am »
One oddity that keeps coming to mind is that somehow running Fidelizor so dramatically changed the sound from what is was, there must be some switch or setting that I've missed.  :?

Unless you configure it to do so automatically, don't you have to run Fidelizer anew each time you turn on your server?

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #202 on: 28 Jan 2013, 01:42 pm »
Unless you configure it to do so automatically, don't you have to run Fidelizer anew each time you turn on your server?

That is correct and before you launch your music software like JRiver.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #203 on: 28 Jan 2013, 02:30 pm »
As stated earlier I used Windows task Scheduler to just set up J RIver (as Music Sever only, no GUI) to start 3 minutes after boot up, thereby allowing me to start Fidelizer in plenty of time.  I will look into automating it a little more as per earlier post.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #204 on: 3 Feb 2013, 07:45 pm »
Ted, if you mentioned it I missed in my reread of this thread. Did you ever try the iFi iUSBpower on your SOtM card? Results in comparison to battery supply?

And BTW, thanks for being one of my guiding lights on this journey.

Peter

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #205 on: 3 Feb 2013, 07:49 pm »
Ted, if you mentioned it I missed in my reread of this thread. Did you ever try the iFi iUSBpower on your SOtM card? Results in comparison to battery supply?

And BTW, thanks for being one of my guiding lights on this journey.

Peter

Yes, I have been using both solutions for a month or so.  I owe a website/ezine my review, so I'll post it here when I'm done too. 

And thanks for the kind words, too.  :)

rick57

a comparison/s?
« Reply #206 on: 12 Feb 2013, 10:49 am »
Hi

I'd read about the CAPS V2, it sounds excellent. Looked on other forums, googled it, etc and now read this thread . .

Everyone likes it a lot; forgive if I missed it/ them, but I haven't noticed any poster mention a comparison, to another server or servers (on the same system)

Can anyone share their experiences with a comparison/s?

Thank you

glineus

« Reply #207 on: 14 Feb 2013, 12:21 am »
Hell fellow CAPS Owners

I will like to take my CAPS v2.0 to the next level with a Linea or Battery power supply. My components are CAPS V2.0; Wired 4Sound DAC-2. Do I need a supply with only the following three (3) rails?
12V for Motherboard
12V for SSD hard drive (OCZ Agility 256GB Sata 3)
12V for Older SOTM Card

Thanks for your guidance