Monitor stand alternatives??

rebbi

Monitor stand alternatives??
« on: 16 Jul 2015, 08:24 pm »
As I await the eventual delivery of my Super Alnico hemp monitors, I am looking for a source for stands for them and wanted to pick your brains on this.
Canada Rob has recommended the Lovan Jazz 18" stands, but as far as I can tell, Lovan is out of business and nobody online actually has these things in stock.
Skylan is, of course, an option, but I am wondering if there's something "nearly as good" but not as pricey out there.
Sanus, for example, makes an all-metal center channel stand called the SFC18 that is 18" tall and seems to have a nice, big top plate that would work well with the Super Alnico's. Amazon has these for $99 each.
There is also a company called VTI that makes solid metal stands with cast iron bases at various heights. Amazon and other places have them and they're pretty inexpensive.
Any experience with either of these, or any other ideas would be appreciated!

beowulf

Re: Monitor stand alternatives??
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2015, 08:59 am »
"Something Solid" makes custom stands for monitors.  I know they have made some for Omega speakers.  They are a solid metal stand and not fillable, but are also less expensive than Skylan and Sound Anchors.  A lot of the Harbeth guys like them.  You can order them through Deco Audio and they ship world wide.

spence

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2015, 12:07 pm »
Check these out, especially the V series.

http://www.webmall2000.net/storage/mhv_stand.asp
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2015, 11:16 am by spence »

roscoe65

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2015, 12:52 pm »
If Skylan is too pricy or you just don't like the look of them, my recommendation is to go custom.

I've gotten stands from http://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerstands.com/ and have been very pleased.  They are welded, sand-filled and power coated.  You can have hem made to precisely dimensions you want.

Depending on options, price should be around $200 or so shipped.

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2015, 12:59 pm »
I did solid wood plant stands with speakers on Mopads. Picked them up used, cheap off of Craigslist.

milford3

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2015, 01:31 pm »
Don't forget about isoacoustics

http://www.isoacoustics.com/index.php

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2015, 02:04 pm »

I made some elaborate stands using Isoacoustics.  They are fantastic, but in retrospect I have have better spent my money on premade or custom stands.

My stands comprise 2.25" spikes (same as Louis uses), 3" thick maple blocks, Oversize Isoacoustics Stand (5" tall) and a sand-filled stand to bring up to height.  Total cost was probably about $300 or so, but I feel these are superior to most traditional stands and can be reconfigured to suit different speakers.  A problem with spending $500 on speaker stands is that they go when you sell your Harbeths, Sonus Fabers or Omegas.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2015, 04:56 pm »
Check out Audio Advisor.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2015, 05:06 pm »
I did solid wood plant stands with speakers on Mopads. Picked them up used, cheap off of Craigslist.

Wow gorgeous console and stands, first class work. :thumb:

rebbi

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2015, 06:31 pm »
Wonderful suggestions, guys, including things I've never heard of. Thank you so much!

Steve

Flinx99

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2015, 01:24 pm »

I am seriously considering purchasing a pair of the Isoacoustics Apertas for for 3is on my desk.

sunnydaze

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2015, 03:27 pm »
If you are ok with how it looks,  goto your local garden center,  Home Depot,  or Lowes and look at pedastal bases for birdbaths.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2015, 05:58 pm »
Good thread.  Keep the ideas coming.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2015, 06:17 pm »

Ok, here's my DIY stands using parts obtained entirely from Home Depot:

Base is 3/4" Oak double layer making for very heavy 1 1/2" base.  Columns are from electrical dept, painted black and filled with sand.

Please excuse the Paradigms  :oops:.  I made the stands for them way back when. 

........Peter

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2015, 07:58 pm »
These MDF stands for my Omega Bipoles (BTW they are for sale :)) were easy to build and cheap too. The good thing about these stands is that they're almost full width and are flush with the baffles thereby providing the "beard" effect which extends the bass output of the drivers. They can also be filled with sand for mass loading.

rebbi

« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2015, 08:41 pm »

My current plan is to experiment with height when my new Super Alnico 6 Monitors arrive and then when I know what the best height is, to spring for a pair of the A & M Fabrication four post steel stands. I've exchanged a few emails with the proprietors and they seem very responsive and courteous; always a good sign.   :thumb:

beowulf

« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2015, 12:29 am »
My current plan is to experiment with height when my new Super Alnico 6 Monitors arrive and then when I know what the best height is, to spring for a pair of the A & M Fabrication four post steel stands. I've exchanged a few emails with the proprietors and they seem very responsive and courteous; always a good sign.   :thumb:

Those A&M look to be pretty decent for the price! :thumb:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama

roscoe65

« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2015, 02:30 am »
Those A&M look to be pretty decent for the price! :thumb:

I had a pair for a pair of Dynaco A25XL's.  The quality is first rate, though the spikes are homemade sharpened studs.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #19 on: 18 Aug 2015, 11:01 am »
These MDF stands for my Omega Bipoles (BTW they are for sale :)) were easy to build and cheap too. The good thing about these stands is that they're almost full width and are flush with the baffles thereby providing the "beard" effect which extends the bass output of the drivers. They can also be filled with sand for mass loading.

+1  :thumb:

Really don't understand why anyone would spend $$$ on anything different.  I like the black (it highlights the speaker).  The "beard" is a good idea.  Heavy (stable) is also a good idea.