Absolute Sound favorite amps $1k - $3k

jandrews

Absolute Sound favorite amps $1k - $3k
« on: 6 Sep 2023, 09:50 pm »
Small write up on the Absolute Sound website today… listing their favorite power amps between $1k and $3k
Their first recommendation is the SET120
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/best-power-amplifiers-1000-3000/

simon wagstaff

Re: Absolute Sound favorite amps $1k - $3k
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2023, 12:34 am »
And for just a bit over $3K you can get a pair of DV 225 monoblocks. I had the SET 120 first. Very nice. Spatiality was it's Forte. I was just driving the neo-panels and tweeter of my VMPS RM-2s so power was not a concern. My DV 225 are everything the SET 120 was but more. Definitely value in the upgrade. Sometimes I sit back and think it's crazy music can sound so good.

jandrews

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2023, 12:49 am »
That’s my next upgrade … moving from my SET120 to the 225 monos.
Not that I won’t keep the SET120…just will find another room for it

peter4jc

• AVA DM-225's & Vision SLR; Philharmonic Audio HT's
« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2023, 04:48 pm »
And for just a bit over $3K you can get a pair of DV 225 monoblocks. I had the SET 120 first. Very nice. Spatiality was it's Forte. I was just driving the neo-panels and tweeter of my VMPS RM-2s so power was not a concern. My DV 225 are everything the SET 120 was but more. Definitely value in the upgrade. Sometimes I sit back and think it's crazy music can sound so good.

I've been needing a new pre-amp for a long time, and have been looking at a lot, but didn't think of AVA... until my addled brain remembered the Dynaco PAT-5 I owned in the 80's - modified by Van Alstine.  Once I saw AVA is still in the game and figuring their mad skills could have only progressed, I decided on one of their preamps w/ phono built in.  I called Frank to say thanks and pick his brain on the SET120 and convinced me that if I could afford two DV225's, that was the way to go.  I placed the order, they shipped a couple of days later, and today is the second day with everything.  I do believe that not only will I be spared the thought that I settled for second best (I'm sure the SET120 would've satisfied immensely, but you know that creeping feeling in the back of your mind), but I am already certain that this system will be filling my ears/room with delightful sound for a long, long time.

Savheagle

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2023, 05:12 pm »
The DVA 225's with the Digital Preamp/Dac are my set up. 225's took over for the SET 400.
They are fantastic with either Salk Song3 Beats or Cornwall IV's...depending on what listening to.
Very impressed with AVA stuff! If better out there for the money I would be surprised.