Alpha panel now with 2 dimensional scattering & diffusion

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Alpha panel now with 2 dimensional scattering & diffusion
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2016, 10:09 pm »
These are what I have been waiting for to do my ceiling FRP's (and I didn't even know it)!! Thanks Anand...

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2016, 03:46 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Thanks for posting that. You beat me to the punch!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2016, 05:25 pm »
Thanks for posting this, Anand. :thumb:

I just PMed Glenn about these panels for my home in Taiwan. They might be what I need.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2016, 03:43 pm »
I love the way those turned out.  :thumb:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2016, 04:00 pm »
Thanks for posting this, Anand. :thumb:

I just PMed Glenn about these panels for my home in Taiwan. They might be what I need.

:thumb: :thumb: Just to add, if anyone was wondering, the design uses a binary sequence.  #1sANDzeros! ;)

sidders

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2016, 04:08 pm »

:thumb: :thumb: Just to add, if anyone was wondering, the design uses a binary sequence.  #1sANDzeros! ;)

So, is this the worlds first digital acoustic panel? :D

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2016, 02:26 am »
High up on the side walls towards the rear of the room, above dedicated diffusers a good spot for the 2 dimensional (2D) version of the Alpha panel? Do you recommend 2 inch or 4 inch thickness there? My ceiling has a dedicated bass trap around the entire circumference.

Best,
Anand.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2016, 02:49 pm »
I would do the 4" personally Anand.  Above the pure diffusion in the rear portion of the room along the sides would be fine.

Mike-48

« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2016, 02:36 am »
What would be the best way of mounting these to the ceiling?  "Best" meaning most reversible without damage and also relatively secure in earthquakes. So screws, OK, glue not so much, nor Z-clips.

mav52

« Reply #10 on: 7 Sep 2016, 01:07 pm »
I'm interested in these panels as well.   For the corners and the side reflection points will they work for that.   But for corners how do you stack these things .  I really can't glue anything to the wall.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2016, 03:14 pm »
What would be the best way of mounting these to the ceiling?  "Best" meaning most reversible without damage and also relatively secure in earthquakes. So screws, OK, glue not so much, nor Z-clips.

I would use eye hooks in the back and hang with wire or loose chain. You could also use L brackets but you will see them on the side.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2016, 03:17 pm »
I'm interested in these panels as well.   For the corners and the side reflection points will they work for that.   But for corners how do you stack these things .  I really can't glue anything to the wall.

The 4" and 6" "could" be stacked in a corner, but are made to either hang on the wall or use our feet supports. Needless to say we do have a Alpha corner Traps that is build kind of like our Tri Trap that is made to stack in corners. See the following link.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/corner-ct-alpha-bass-trap-absorber-diffusor/

dpatters

« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2016, 03:56 pm »
In the image below two 2x2 panels are stacked behind each speaker. The bottom panel is setting on two hockey pucks. In the corner is a 2x4 panel with the optional footer installed.

Don P.

Mike-48

« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2016, 05:51 pm »
I would use eye hooks in the back and hang with wire or loose chain. You could also use L brackets but you will see them on the side.

Thanks, Glenn. It's a very low ceiling, so flush mounting is the best option (for comfort, though not acoustics). I guess that means L-brackets, if I do add the Alphas. I assume, then, that screws can be driven into the sides of the panel? There is some wood or other facing that is stronger than going into fiberglass?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2016, 06:13 pm »
Thanks, Glenn. It's a very low ceiling, so flush mounting is the best option (for comfort, though not acoustics). I guess that means L-brackets, if I do add the Alphas. I assume, then, that screws can be driven into the sides of the panel? There is some wood or other facing that is stronger than going into fiberglass?

Yes there is a 3/4" wood frame around the panels so driving screws into them should not be a problem.

Mike-48

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2017, 03:26 pm »
In the image below two 2x2 panels are stacked behind each speaker. The bottom panel is setting on two hockey pucks. In the corner is a 2x4 panel with the optional footer installed.
Don P.

Don, I think the low-contrast look in your photo would go much better in my room than the (also attractive) black option shown on the GIK Website. Could I ask, what fabric did you use for the Alphas?

Glenn K: I suggest you add some other color combinations to the photos on the GIK site.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2017, 03:56 pm »
Don, I think the low-contrast look in your photo would go much better in my room than the (also attractive) black option shown on the GIK Website. Could I ask, what fabric did you use for the Alphas?

Glenn K: I suggest you add some other color combinations to the photos on the GIK site.

I agree and we are working on that.  Actually working on a few things. :)

stanfnelson

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2020, 05:30 pm »
Beautiful. 
1.  I get differing opinions on what to do on the front wall with Magnepans.  Thoughts?
2.  I have an odd shaped room with a sloped ceiling that starts at 9' and goes to about 17'.  It is a big plane, the largest in the room, but since there is no parallel surface, I don't think it is creating any standing wave issues.  How do I figure out best treatment, if any?

Mike-48

« Reply #19 on: 9 Feb 2022, 08:19 pm »
I'd like to suggest a version of the Alpha with fabric wrap on the outside. That would blend better with existing fabric-covered treatments (and home decor), as well as making it possible to use the customer's art on the panel. Much more flexibility in appearance.
I hope that once things settle down a little, GIK will give this some thought.