1 x 4B SST2 Or Would 2 x 4B SST2 be better?

Vipers

Re: 1 x 4B SST2 Or Would 2 x 4B SST2 be better?
« Reply #40 on: 11 May 2010, 09:26 pm »
Now this maybe a really silly question but I'll ask it anyway.

My 2ch rack sits to one side of my AV rack which the speakers sit either side of, so from the BP26 one speaker is 4 metres away and the other is 1 meter away, is it OK to cut the speaker cable to 1m and 4m or should I make both lengths the same at 4m?

Is it a silly question?  :oops:

werd

« Reply #41 on: 11 May 2010, 09:28 pm »
Hi ^^^^^6

make em both 4 mtrs... you'll like the 4bSq, its a romping good amplifier. No tears all smiles....  :)

Napalm

« Reply #42 on: 11 May 2010, 10:23 pm »
I'd say make them both the same length.  :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #43 on: 12 May 2010, 04:57 am »
Thanks for the heads up, I ordered the other 4B SST2 today so it will be turning up tomorrow with the BP26MC  :thumb:

Congrats!

Vipers

« Reply #44 on: 12 May 2010, 08:59 am »
Sorry guys, yet another question.

My 2nd hand 4B SST2 amp has just turned up and were my new 4B SST2 has '4B SST2' on the power button this one just has '4B SST' so annoyingly I thought it must me an SST but on the back it is labeled '4B SST2 - Pro'

So my question is, is it a 4B SST or SST2, if so why hasn't the power swith got the '2' and what is a pro version?

Thanks again.

Viajero5000

« Reply #45 on: 12 May 2010, 09:54 am »
Bryston had started manufacturing the SST2 version a couple of months before it was formally announced to the public, so i'm guessing it's one of those early squared models.  Btw you shouldn't use one amp per speaker due to the subsequent updates that your new amp does have; go for using one amp on the woofers, the other one on the mid/tweeter.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #46 on: 12 May 2010, 12:28 pm »
Hi Vipers,

Yes we were making SST2 versions of the amplifiers before the official announcement so as long as it has the SST2 on the rear it is in fact an SST2.  It will not have the most recent changes (capacitors etc.) and being a Pro unit make sure you turn the 'gain' controls on the back fully clockwise.

james

Vipers

« Reply #47 on: 12 May 2010, 03:45 pm »
Thanks for the reply James, out of curiousity, what is the difference between a 'normal' and a 'Pro' 4B SST2?

Obviously bridging is out of the question now as I have 2 different spec of amps, so bearing in mind I have an older and a brand new 4B SST2 would I be better using the new 4B for bass or mid/tweeter duties?

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #48 on: 12 May 2010, 04:21 pm »
Obviously bridging is out of the question now as I have 2 different spec of amps, so bearing in mind I have an older and a brand new 4B SST2 would I be better using the new 4B for bass or mid/tweeter duties?

I had both of them here, and from my experience i'd say that the newer one is best for the bass, more detail there because of the new capacitors. but when in dount: just try both and see what you feel sounds best.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 12 May 2010, 04:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply James, out of curiousity, what is the difference between a 'normal' and a 'Pro' 4B SST2?

Hi Vipers,

The Pro units have 'GAIN' (volume) controls in the circuit path on each channel whereas the Consumer units do not.  The Pro is only available in Black with 19 inch rackmount faceplates.

james

werd

« Reply #50 on: 12 May 2010, 04:55 pm »
Hi Vipers,

The Pro units have 'GAIN' (volume) controls in the circuit path on each channel whereas the Consumer units do not.  The Pro is only available in Black with 19 inch rackmount faceplates.

james

Hi James

But do the pro have the adjustable 6 gain switch in the back too?

Vipers

« Reply #51 on: 12 May 2010, 05:04 pm »
Hi Vipers,

james

Hi James,

Thanks again, now I've got it home I notice that the Pro has the older squarer SST faceplate, is this just how they come or have they been updated now with the new SST2 cosmetics and its just because this is an early model?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #52 on: 12 May 2010, 05:17 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks again, now I've got it home I notice that the Pro has the older squarer SST faceplate, is this just how they come or have they been updated now with the new SST2 cosmetics and its just because this is an early model?

Yes the faceplates on the Pro are different.

james

Vipers

« Reply #53 on: 12 May 2010, 05:37 pm »
Yes the faceplates on the Pro are different.

james

Excellent, Knowing what you know James about the new capacitors fitted to my new 4B would you say that the new one would be better at bass or Mid/treble? or like Anonamemouse says, just try both and see?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 12 May 2010, 05:41 pm »
Excellent, Knowing what you know James about the new capacitors fitted to my new 4B would you say that the new one would be better at bass or Mid/treble? or like Anonamemouse says, just try both and see?

Try both ways and see.  I have been accused of understating the changes the capacitors make and it may vary from system to system.  In my setups at home the caps increase the soundstage size and provide a bit more resolution.

James

vegasdave

« Reply #55 on: 12 May 2010, 10:33 pm »
Yeah, the more I think of it, I agree with James here. You have nothin' to lose, really.

drummermitchell

« Reply #56 on: 13 May 2010, 12:46 am »
I know I can squeeze some more soundstage into my bigga room.I'll just tell the wife that Bryston is recalling my 28s as the caps are defective,that should work.
That reminds me when I got the 20a Torus,I'd put some LPs leaning against the Torus(to hide it) and
then once a week I'd slide the LPs over an inch or so and repeat the process so she'd not really notice
                                                               :thumb:

Robert D

« Reply #57 on: 13 May 2010, 01:58 am »
Try both ways and see.  I have been accused of understating the changes the capacitors make and it may vary from system to system.  In my setups at home the caps increase the soundstage size and provide a bit more resolution.

James
Vipers I sent in my  2 X 4BSST² for Cap Up Grade this week

I should have them back Next week
i'll have some feed back for you then
Regards Robert

Vipers

« Reply #58 on: 13 May 2010, 06:57 am »
Vipers I sent in my  2 X 4BSST² for Cap Up Grade this week

I should have them back Next week
i'll have some feed back for you then
Regards Robert

Thanks Robert, look forward to your feedback.

I'm going to start playing tonight, first I'll compare the Pro v the C-series just single amped as I need to get some more speaker wire before I can try Bi-amping.

Also I'm looking forward to comparing the BCD-1 with the BP26 and 4B SST2 against my Arcam AV888/P777.

Should be an interesting evening + the wife is going out for the evening so I can get really stuck in  :)

vegasdave

« Reply #59 on: 13 May 2010, 07:32 pm »
Awesome. Let us know how that goes...