Name your old, forgotten places to walk into and buy music!

The Rang

Re: Name your old, forgotten places to walk into and buy music!
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2020, 03:30 am »
A&B Sound, based in Vancouver with branches all over BC and Alberta.
Great selection best prices around.
Miss them more than anything

ssglx

« Reply #21 on: 18 Mar 2020, 07:43 am »
Books, Strings and Things in Blacksburg, VA

I bought quite a few records there for $4.37 in the 70's.

richidoo

« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2020, 12:32 pm »
Looney Tunes Records on Boylston Street in Boston, near Berzerklee College of Music. They sold all kinds of music, but I went there for the $4 cutouts of Japanese Blue Note Records imports, before the new blue note label was reincarnated in 1985.
https://foursquare.com/v/looney-tunes-records/4ba3d497f964a520316438e3

I walked past it after a Red Sox game in 2013, sad to see it had just closed.

Doublej

« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2020, 01:38 pm »
Looney Tunes Records on Boylston Street in Boston, near Berzerklee College of Music. They sold all kinds of music, but I went there for the $4 cutouts of Japanese Blue Note Records imports, before the new blue note label was reincarnated in 1985.
https://foursquare.com/v/looney-tunes-records/4ba3d497f964a520316438e3

I walked past it after a Red Sox game in 2013, sad to see it had just closed.

They have relocated and are open in Allston.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2020, 01:43 pm »
Most of my shopping was at Sound Warehouse in Dallas.  The classical was in its own room, and they had headphones and turntables to listen to best sellers. 

rockadanny

« Reply #25 on: 18 Mar 2020, 01:47 pm »
Cunningham Drugstore, of all places, is where my LP buying began. During high school I only worked part-time, and paying for my own stuff (gas, sporting goods, extra clothing and food, etc.) did not leave much cash for LPs, which were $3.99 at the time. However, my friend's sister worked there as a cashier. We made an arrangement ... I'd put a pile of LPs on the counter, she'd punch buttons like crazy, but somehow the total always came to $3.99, however many LPs were stacked.  :scratch: Then I'd catch her at home and pay her $4. To this day I'm still a cheap bastard when it comes to buying things.   :roll:
(Or were the $2.99? ... hmm ... whatev.)

bobf

« Reply #26 on: 18 Mar 2020, 03:23 pm »
Opus Records small store in second story downtown Winnipeg.

DavidS

« Reply #27 on: 18 Mar 2020, 03:32 pm »
In Vancouver up near the University gates there was a small place called the Charles Bogle Phonograph Dispensary - have fond memories of conversations about music - the old guy that ran the place encyclopedic in his music knowledge.  Spent a ton of money there on records in the 70s.  Wish I had a photo except this one in my brain.  And then it was gone...

G E

« Reply #28 on: 18 Mar 2020, 04:56 pm »
Wax Museum - Minneapolis

Electric Fetus - Minneapolis

Waterbed Store - Cedar Rapids (no we did not sell waterbeds)

Sanfords - Cedar Rapids, office supply store -  a friend ran the record department in the basement and he stocked all the Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf Generator, Genesis, Jade Warrior, Caravan, Soft Machine and other impossible to find records back in the early 1970's.  He was a big influence in my music development.  Thank you Steve B wherever you are.

Turtles - Atlanta

Criminal Records - Atlanta

Wuxtry - Atlanta

Fantasyland - Atlanta

Reckless Records - Chicago

pconley2

« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2020, 05:16 pm »
No one has mentioned Washington D.C.  I lived there in the 70's and there were a fair number of great stores, including Orpheus where I worked.  also Record and Tape Ltd as well as the grandfather of DC record and book stores located on Dupont Circle, which I think was called Dupont Records (please correct me if I am wrong).

At Orpheus, on Friday and Saturday nights we tried to see if we could get people dancing with the music we played, we did on a fair number of nights-- great times.

Pundamilia

« Reply #30 on: 18 Mar 2020, 06:10 pm »
A&B Sound, based in Vancouver with branches all over BC and Alberta.
Great selection best prices around.
Miss them more than anything

I remember when my wife and I drove out to the West Coast in the mid '90's. Having discovered A&B Sound once before on a business trip, my wife and I stocked up there on CDs to have lots of music for the long drive home. A disappearing medium today.

I also recall buying my first '45's at a local Woolworth's store. I think they cost $0.66 each. Guess where my paper route earnings went. A disappeared medium today.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2020, 08:22 pm »
  Korvettes and Alexanders in NY, Tower Records in NY.

charles

JCarney

« Reply #32 on: 18 Mar 2020, 10:53 pm »
Rocky Mountain Records & Tapes, Pearl Street Mall, Boulder CO.

jcarney

Bob Stark

« Reply #33 on: 18 Mar 2020, 11:03 pm »
Growing up until I was in college--Union Hall sold 45's for 67 cents, mono albums for $2.99, stereo albums for $3.99.  My brother and I have a couple hundred 45's from those days still.  Seems like we could always scrounge up $.70 for a tune back then. 

In college, there was a local head shop in McComb, IL that sold records on the first floor, and black light posters, various pipes, wrapping paper, etc. up the stairs and turn to the right.  You just had to go in there for at least 10 minutes to catch a cheap buzz.  Must have been the times, I don't even remember the name of that place or maybe, it did not have a name.  That was Western Illinois University living at its best.

SET Man

« Reply #34 on: 19 Mar 2020, 01:25 am »
Hey!

Hmm... seeing that headline really bought back lots of memories. Well, time to walk down the memory lane.

I came here to NYC in 1988 and back than the city was full of record stores. Over the years many stores have closed. Here's the list of record stores that I've have shopped at and loved.

1. Colony Music. (closed 2012)
    This was the first NYC record store I visited and shopped for many years when I was young. I remembered going in there and just get lost looking at all the LPs, CDs, and yes Cassette tapes. I remembered my uncle bought his first CD there and I bought my very first cassette tape there. It was a great record store, but after I moved out from midtown Manhattan 1999 I didn't go there much.

3. The Wiz. (closed 1997?)
   I sometime buy CD there. I actually bought my first receiver, CD player, and tape deck there.

4. Tower Record. (closed 2006)
    Yup, there were a few of Tower Record store in NYC. My favorite is the one by East 4th street of which I visited often. I still remembered going in there the last few days before it closed forever.

5. Virgin Megastore (closed 2009)
    Love the one in Union Sq. It was a great to store to browse musics, especially imported CDs and LPs.

6. Rebel Rebel (closed 2016)
    A small record shop in downtown Manhattan. The tiny store was packed with mostly vinyls, so much so that it was hard to move around if you have more than a handful of people in there. Of course like many small stores in NYC it closed down because of the rent hike, this is still a problem today.

Well, fortunately NYC still have some record stores around but there's nothing like the size of Tower Records or Virgin Megastore around that you could spend time browsing around.

Buddy

hdspeakerman

« Reply #35 on: 19 Mar 2020, 01:47 am »
Oz Records - Birmingham
Peaches Records - St. Louis
Webster Records - St. Louis
Lawrence Audio - Birmingham
Pmac - Cape Girardeau
Hastings - Cape Girardeau

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #36 on: 19 Mar 2020, 04:57 am »
I can't remember the name of the store... it was in the US on the west coast, if someone remembers?

The important part was that sometime in the late 80's, early 90's, they had a "kiosk" (it was bigger than that), where you could select individual songs and then make your OWN mix tape! Who doesn't love/remember the mix tape?!?!

Decades later, it seems novel, considering the advent of recordable CDs and play lists. But at the time you could place headphones on, listen to new(er) tracks from various artists, select tracks and order, then make your own mix tape! Or maybe it was a mix CD by then? I can't remember. Either way, it was long before we could do it ourselves, and it was AMAZING!

schmidtmike76

« Reply #37 on: 19 Mar 2020, 12:18 pm »
Tramps, he had a ton of bootlegs and hard to find metal.  Good old days

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #38 on: 19 Mar 2020, 08:09 pm »
Sam the Record Man on Yonge St. in Toronto.

...i went there very often when i was a young man. nice store.

Vortex Records and The Record Peddler. i believe they were on Yonge Street as well.

al. getting old.

Craig B

« Reply #39 on: 19 Mar 2020, 08:19 pm »
Divinyl Madness, in Normal, IL. Not only a wonderful record store back in the '70s and '80s, but they also stocked heavy gauge library-quality vinyl jacket covers for both single and gate-fold albums. I still use them, 40+ years later.