BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready

lhissink

Re: BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready
« Reply #80 on: 1 Jul 2016, 11:42 pm »
Just updated the firmware and the BDP-1 (S/N 00050) is working perfectly. Sounds great as well.

Ideally Roon should have an offline mode, since if the internet connection goes down........Roon might  be marooned.

Krutsch

« Reply #81 on: 2 Jul 2016, 01:28 pm »
I believe the solid state drive should contain both your OS and Roon installation and then once Roon is installed you point it to drives/network shares containing your local music collection.

That is the ideal setup.

Marius

« Reply #82 on: 2 Jul 2016, 03:13 pm »
That is the ideal setup.

Installed roonserver on a MacBook Air too now, pointing to the Nas drives . Will see if that works any better.
Can control both through the Roon app on the iPhone and other devices.

Only disadvantage of course being the air not always on. If it works as optimal as is should , a dedicated device could be in the works ;-)

Cheers and thanks, Chris and Ken.

Marius

zoom25

« Reply #83 on: 2 Jul 2016, 04:07 pm »
I don't have a NAS. I have an iMac and Macbook Pros. So to install Roon, I need to first setup on one of my computers. Although, can my external hard drive containing music be connected to the BDP-1, or does it also need to be connected to the computer.

Second question, does the computer need to be ON for Roon to work?

Third question, is the ROON READY the same quality as MPD? I noticed Sharplay wasn't the same as MPD.

I updated the firmware and got a trial key, but haven't started it yet until I can figure out what I need.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #84 on: 2 Jul 2016, 04:44 pm »
I don't have a NAS. I have an iMac and Macbook Pros. So to install Roon, I need to first setup on one of my computers. Although, can my external hard drive containing music be connected to the BDP-1, or does it also need to be connected to the computer.

Third question, is the ROON READY the same quality as MPD? I noticed Sharplay wasn't the same as MPD.

I updated the firmware and got a trial key, but haven't started it yet until I can figure out what I need.

The music collection can be stored on a local drive, usb drive or a network share, Roon recommends you use a computer with a solid state drive that contains the operating system and the roon software itself.

Cheers,
Chris

Krutsch

« Reply #85 on: 2 Jul 2016, 06:19 pm »
An update on this issue: I am playing back tracks from "The Moody Blues" and noticing the display shows: "The M" as the artist (as in: The <space> M). Same erasing behavior, as described above; when changing tracks, I can briefly see: "The Moody Blues" and the latter chars are erased 1/2 second later.

This seems to be fixed in Roon 1.2 build 147 (just released 3 days ago?). Now, all titles and artists display correctly in the BDP-1's display.

Marius

« Reply #86 on: 3 Jul 2016, 09:16 am »

As long as its found on the local network, you're fine. Connected to the BDP, on a NAs, or another network drive, Roon will find them. Remember a 'local folder' in Roon is a folder on the computer Roon is installed on, all other folders are Network folders.

Yes

we're here to find that out... please let us know your findings. Now that I've installed on my Macbook air (started on a NAS) i havent experienced the dropouts and other related issues, Roon sounds quite good. Even on a so called Roon bridge, I've installed on a dated 8 years old windows pc i managed to install windows 10 on.
Havent done serious comparing MPD to ROON ready yet on the BDP1. Up next!

Cheers,
Marius

Samurai7595

« Reply #87 on: 3 Jul 2016, 01:59 pm »
Roon requires you to run there server software on a computer, one of average to high end spec or a high end nas.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-are-the-minimum-system-hardware-requirements/103

Cheers,
Chris

Can the ROON server software run on a computer (e.g. laptop) and the music reside on a USB stick connected to the BDP-2 or on an internal SSD inside the BDP-2?

Or does the music have to be on the same computer that runs the ROON server software?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #88 on: 3 Jul 2016, 02:10 pm »
Can the ROON server software run on a computer (e.g. laptop) and the music reside on a USB stick connected to the BDP-2 or on an internal SSD inside the BDP-2?

Or does the music have to be on the same computer that runs the ROON server software?

Hi

The music can be anywhere on the network. So internal drive or external attached to the BDP can be played from Roon.

Austinbob

« Reply #89 on: 3 Jul 2016, 02:24 pm »
So, I've updated my BDP-2 with the new firmware and installed Roon on my computer (Windows 10 64 bit). I've pointed it to the two main drives hanging off the BDP-2 and I'm using the Roon remote for my IPhone 6.

Roon is very cool, love the interface, artist information, etc.

The main issue I'm having is that high resolution files (24/96 or better) play, after 20 seconds or so I get a message from Roon that the file is "loading slowly" and it ends play. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #90 on: 3 Jul 2016, 02:39 pm »
So, I've updated my BDP-2 with the new firmware and installed Roon on my computer (Windows 10 64 bit). I've pointed it to the two main drives hanging off the BDP-2 and I'm using the Roon remote for my IPhone 6.

Roon is very cool, love the interface, artist information, etc.

The main issue I'm having is that high resolution files (24/96 or better) play, after 20 seconds or so I get a message from Roon that the file is "loading slowly" and it ends play. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob

It sounds like the host computer where you have Roon is not 'fast' enough for the high res files.

james

Austinbob

« Reply #91 on: 3 Jul 2016, 02:55 pm »
Should be. Bought it less than six months ago, has 16GB ram and a fast AMD processor. I notice that Roon is "analyzing" my tracks (I have about 20,000 and Roon has only processed about 600 so far) so I'm hoping the issue will resolve itself after it completes.

The other possibility is that the network is slow?

Roon is pretty awesome improvement over MPD though--I love being able to learn about the artists. It's like having liner notes again.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #92 on: 3 Jul 2016, 02:57 pm »
Should be. Bought it less than six months ago, has 16GB ram and a fast AMD processor. I notice that Roon is "analyzing" my tracks (I have about 20,000 and Roon has only processed about 600 so far) so I'm hoping the issue will resolve itself after it completes.

Roon is pretty awesome improvement over MPD though--I love being able to learn about the artists. It's like having liner notes again.

Yes sounds like your computer is fine.  I have played 192/24 files and DSD with no issues on a 3 year old Toshiba laptop so you should be fine.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #93 on: 3 Jul 2016, 03:08 pm »

AMD makes all kind of processors, some that compete perfectly fine with intels core series CPUs and some that are much slow then intels core series.  Also CPU and ram arn't roons only requirement, they also recommend the computers OS and Roon be installed on a solid state drive.  Finally you may wish to move those USB drives attached to the BDP to your computer so that there is less back and forth on your network.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #94 on: 3 Jul 2016, 03:36 pm »
HI,

After reading many posts on the fora and community, about performance issues, im beginning to have serious doubts about Roons statement that 'playing the music files is the easy part'. If one doesn't fully comply with Chris's advice below, performance issues, dropouts and are rather prone to happen. Also, having an extensive library (check Roons guide, large library definition is met quite soon) doesn't help.

On my SSD Macbook Air, Roon has taken a full day to analyse 1334 tracks. Tracks. Not albums....

I really don't hope Roon needs its own dedicated computer, with its own library attached on SSD to fully function properly.

MY BDP (1!) is functioning without any of these hiccups, dropouts or other performance issues, albeit barebones compared to the visual impact Roon makes. Attached or networked. Im not ditching it yet...

Cheers,
Marius

AMD makes all kind of processors, some that compete perfectly fine with intels core series CPUs and some that are much slow then intels core series.  Also CPU and ram arn't roons only requirement, they also recommend the computers OS and Roon be installed on a solid state drive.  Finally you may wish to move those USB drives attached to the BDP to your computer so that there is less back and forth on your network.

Cheers
Chris

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #95 on: 3 Jul 2016, 03:57 pm »
HI,

After reading many posts on the fora and community, about performance issues, im beginning to have serious doubts about Roons statement that 'playing the music files is the easy part'. If one doesn't fully comply with Chris's advice below, performance issues, dropouts and are rather prone to happen. Also, having an extensive library (check Roons guide, large library definition is met quite soon) doesn't help.

On my SSD Macbook Air, Roon has taken a full day to analyse 1334 tracks. Tracks. Not albums....

I really don't hope Roon needs its own dedicated computer, with its own library attached on SSD to fully function properly.

MY BDP (1!) is functioning without any of these hiccups, dropouts or other performance issues, albeit barebones compared to the visual impact Roon makes. Attached or networked. Im not ditching it yet...

Cheers,
Marius

Marius,

You don't need a beefy machine to run Roon properly.

I have over 90,000 tracks across 2300 artists and Roon certainly didn't take anywhere close to a day to analyze the content.  It works well with no performance issues.  I access it via iPad or Windows laptop.

My PC that runs Roon Core is a 5 yr old i7 with an SSD - hardly a powerhouse by today's standards.

George

zoom25

« Reply #96 on: 3 Jul 2016, 05:01 pm »
Cheers,
Marius

Thanks for the help Marius. I have gone and re-read up the entire Roon website.  I will do extensive testing between ROON READY and MPD with different formats (FLAC/WAV). Back in mid 2015, I did try Roon against Audirvana Plus (2.0.9 at that time) outputting to the same DAC and Audirvana was better. I know they have improved on this, but I'll still keep an eye on it.

I like all the control features. The only thing I dislike is to have to rely on a computer to run the Core. Although, I wonder if the BDP-1/2 could run the Core and avoid the computer all together, would we still want to? If the power and CPU requirements are extensive, there might be a dip in performance (especially more concerned about the BDP-1 here).

With just Roon Ready, one could disable MPD and USB Mount. Nothing connected to BDP-1 or other services, just Roon...The only thing I worry about is network speed.

Just to clarify:
If I connect a hard drive to the BDP-1, the files will go back to the computer running the Core via network and then back out to BDP-1 via Roon Ready?

On the other hand, if I connect the hard drive to the computer running the Core, then the output will be straight to the BDP-1 via Roon Ready? So this can perhaps help free up the network by only having it one-way?

So is it at all possible for Roon to access the files on hard drive connected to the BDP-1 and just send it straight to BDP-1 via USB, rather than having it go over the network to the computer and then back again to the BDP-1?

I hope that made sense. Just want to be clear on how it fully works before starting my trial. Otherwise I might save it for a few months down the road.

BTW Does the 60 day promo code have an expiration date?

Marius

« Reply #97 on: 3 Jul 2016, 05:41 pm »
HI George,
Thanks, that sounds very comfy indeed.
Are your music files on the same SSD, attached on a drive, or networked? Or attached to the BDP?
Streaming to the BDP or another endpoint?

Roon runs very fluidly, and it reacts very well to the commands, only the Background Audio Analysis takes forever.
Cheers,
Marius

Marius,

You don't need a beefy machine to run Roon properly.

I have over 90,000 tracks across 2300 artists and Roon certainly didn't take anywhere close to a day to analyze the content.  It works well with no performance issues.  I access it via iPad or Windows laptop.

My PC that runs Roon Core is a 5 yr old i7 with an SSD - hardly a powerhouse by today's standards.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #98 on: 3 Jul 2016, 05:50 pm »
HI George,
Thanks, that sounds very comfy indeed.
Are your music files on the same SSD, attached on a drive, or networked? Or attached to the BDP?
Streaming to the BDP or another endpoint?

Roon runs very fluidly, and it reacts very well to the commands, only the Background Audio Analysis takes forever.
Cheers,
Marius

Marius,

I use a Synology NAS with 32TB of storage for storing all of my music, movies, and photos.

I no longer have a BDP.

I stream to a Vinnie Rossi LIO via a Sonore microRendu.

Feel free to search here on AC for both products.

George

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #99 on: 3 Jul 2016, 06:02 pm »
Thanks for the help Marius. I have gone and re-read up the entire Roon website.  I will do extensive testing between ROON READY and MPD with different formats (FLAC/WAV). Back in mid 2015, I did try Roon against Audirvana Plus (2.0.9 at that time) outputting to the same DAC and Audirvana was better. I know they have improved on this, but I'll still keep an eye on it.

I like all the control features. The only thing I dislike is to have to rely on a computer to run the Core. Although, I wonder if the BDP-1/2 could run the Core and avoid the computer all together, would we still want to? If the power and CPU requirements are extensive, there might be a dip in performance (especially more concerned about the BDP-1 here).

With just Roon Ready, one could disable MPD and USB Mount. Nothing connected to BDP-1 or other services, just Roon...The only thing I worry about is network speed.

Just to clarify:
If I connect a hard drive to the BDP-1, the files will go back to the computer running the Core via network and then back out to BDP-1 via Roon Ready?

On the other hand, if I connect the hard drive to the computer running the Core, then the output will be straight to the BDP-1 via Roon Ready? So this can perhaps help free up the network by only having it one-way?

So is it at all possible for Roon to access the files on hard drive connected to the BDP-1 and just send it straight to BDP-1 via USB, rather than having it go over the network to the computer and then back again to the BDP-1?

I hope that made sense. Just want to be clear on how it fully works before starting my trial. Otherwise I might save it for a few months down the road.

BTW Does the 60 day promo code have an expiration date?

One of roon cores jobs is to process the file into pcm data, down sample if needed and if needed to convert dsd to pcm.

Cheers,
Chris