Recommendations please: Good speakers that must sit flush against wall.

2gumby2

The Sjofn Guru speakers sound great and are highly recommended. Another consideration might be the Wilson Audio Duette speakers. Although a little over your budget they are some outstanding speakers.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
In-wall / on-wall. Killer spkrs here
http://www.triadspeakers.com/index.html

BobM

Bose (hahahahaha)

I think you can put most horn speakers close to the walls, and many single driver speakers need that extra reinforcement. I think Naim's are also designed to be up against the wall, but I can't say I ever liked what I heard from a Naim speaker (sorry).

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
A rear-ported speaker can be designed specifically to work well up against a wall or even in a corner (a la Audio Note).  In my opinion it's actually easier to achieve a frequency response curve that is the approximate inverse of anticipated boundary reinforcement using a ported box rather than a sealed box. 

Here are the reasons why rear porting done right (that is, appropriately taking boundary reinforcement into account) is preferable to front porting:

1.  Rear porting displaces the bass sources relative to one another as much as is feasible.  With the port on the front, your two bass sources (the woofer and the port) are the same distance from the wall behind the speaker, and so their room-interaction will be fairly similar.  With the port on the rear, your two bass sources are a significantly different distance from the wall behind the speaker, and thus their individual room-interaction peak-and-dip patterns will be different and tend to average out to a smoother net curve.

2.  Any port tube resonances or residual midrange energy emerging from the port will be less audible with the port on the rear of the enclosure because it will be farther from the listener's ears.

3.  Since a rear-mounted port will usually get a bit more boundary reinforcement than a front-mounted port, in practice this allows a bit deeper in-room extension - assuming proper tuning.

Of course you want to provide adequate clearance for the port to breathe, but what happens if you don't?  Well in that case the nearby wall extends the effective port length a bit, which lowers the tuning frequency a bit, which is the direction you want to go if you're getting a lot of boundary reinforcement anyway.

Now intuition would lead you to believe that you'll get less bass impact from a rear-firing port because of the path length difference, but this is one of those cases where our intuition is misleading.  Controlled studies have shown that the ear cannot even detect the presence of bass energy before at least one wavelength has reached the ears, and that several wavelengths are needed to detect pitch.  So the small fraction-of-a-wavelength time smear between the arrival of energy from the woofer and from the rear-firing port is not of audible significance.  In fact I believe that the in-room frequency response curve is by far the best predictor of subjective bass quality, but that's a tangential topic. 

So while as a general rule-of-thumb most rear-ported speakers may be unsuitable for placement very close to the wall, there are exceptions.

Duke

rajacat

• Washington State
What about using side port(s)?

-Roy

K Shep

Revel Ultima Gem2.
http://www.revelspeakers.com/products/product.asp?product=30

These beauties include hardware to hang them on the wall.

Jeffr1966

HEY!  those Cain WWWS speakers are MY speakers!  the pic is from Cain's website and was taken before I bought them from Terry!  Great speakers ... I have had better luck with them against the wall then out in the room but YMMV

definitely like jazz and acoustic music better than HARD rock but some of that is a function of the production values that go into making rock music LP's and CD's

have used the speaker with SET's, PP tubes and solid state ... works well with all but they are physically LARGE speakers

Jeff

TMILL

http://directacoustics.com/, these are cheaper than your budget, but have a good pedigree.
Tim

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
BIBs :)

For that budget, you could use some pretty exotic drivers.

Occam

I (and many others at AudioCircle) are often suspicious of someone who just registered and the first post is a recommendation with link to a vendor's website.

Steve

Steve,

I understand where you're coming from, but IMO, you're being a bit unfair to Tim. He responded to a direct question from William with a recommendation that is totally appropriate. Its not like he came here and started a thread touting a product out of thin air. If he registered specifically so he could recommend a product that he thought appropriate, I thank him for his effort. And Mr. Burhoe, the proprietor of Direct Acoustics  certainly has credibility and known history. If Mr. Burhoe himself had posted on the thread in response to that specific question, IMO, it would have been totally appropriate.

FWIW,
Paul

batmanslc2

I second the carolinaaudio speakers, single driver trans line, I used them close to wall,
enjoy

NewBuyer

If you become interested in the bookshelf variety, you might consider North Acoustics as well...