What equipment have you built recently?

JoshK

What equipment have you built recently?
« on: 26 Feb 2009, 04:37 pm »
Audio central has a thread on what equipment have you bought recently with folks posting pictures of their new toys.  How about for those of us who build rather than buy our gear?  Although, pictures of cool drivers and iron, tubes and other diy wares would be cool too.

This might be a nice thread to brag and show off your latest project. 

So guys, what have you built lately?

sts9fan

Re: What equipment have you built recently?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2009, 04:44 pm »
My Zen Variation 9.  Already posted it but what the hell...

Testing on the "work bench"

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2009, 04:47 pm »
This just gives a nice central place to see everybody's stuff. 

My already posted E-linear KT88 SE amp.

whubbard

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2009, 05:39 pm »
Well,
My Full System basically.
Orion+ Loudspeakers
Aspen Lifeforce 100, 55, 55 (with mods)
Aspen Gk-1 (with mods)

Also a Peter Daniel S/PDIF Dac, but I still need a case for it.

-West

EDIT:
Build Thread Here
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2009, 07:13 pm by whubbard »

EDS_

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2009, 05:41 pm »
This just gives a nice central place to see everybody's stuff. 

My already posted E-linear KT88 SE amp.

Damnation Josh, that is awesome.  I've got a serious Jones for a SE KT - 88 amp.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2009, 05:56 pm »
I lust for that amp every time I see it Josh, simply gorgeous.

Recent projects...

Geddes Abbey speakers. I will finish them once spring arrives but I am very happy with the sound.

I built a new analog section for a friends Transporter, it turned out pretty well.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:09 pm »
So when are you going to submit an extensive review of your Geddes Abbey speakers? :green: I suppose you can't review your own work on the Transporter. :wink:

-Roy

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:24 pm »
So when are you going to submit an extensive review of your Geddes Abbey speakers? :green: I suppose you can't review your own work on the Transporter. :wink:

Roy,

I submitted the review to Steven at Enjoy the Music for the March DIY section, I have no idea if he's going to publish it.

I'll ask the owner of the TP to post a comment but last time I talked to him he was happy with it. If the Transporter were mine I would likely have kept tinkering for another few months but I kept him waiting a long time as it was. :)

Edit: I just checked Enjoy the Music and Steven did post my Abbey review. :D http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0309/gedlee_abbey.htm

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:32 pm »
Thanks Mike!

ohenry

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:49 pm »
A few months ago, I built the little Spud 6cl6 amp as listed on the Hawthorne Audio site.  I've recently replaced the small Edcor output transformers pictured below with some heavier ones from Transcendar.  Now the bass is as good as the highs, but I have to find a larger case to house everything.   :roll:

This was an inexpensive and fun project for those wanting an easy intro into tube amps with point-to-point wiring.  And the chassis is pre-drilled and finished, you only need to add sides (unless you can't resist those bigger transformers).  :icon_lol:

mgalusha

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:52 pm »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2009, 07:17 pm »
Mike,

Nice review. :thumb: I liked that you included your modifications to the stock kit. You seemed very objective and pointed out the minor deficiencies while not gushing inordinately about the many positive aspects of the design.

Have you played much symphonic music through the Abbys yet? You mentioned that they had great clarity so would this apply to very dense music?   How well they handle the imaging demands of orchestral music. Are the various groups of instruments easily located? Certainly they would have no trouble with the dynamics.

Thanks,

Roy

p.s. Perhaps these speakers need a separate thread. Whoops :oops:, I just noticed that there is a Geddes thread already.

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2009, 07:23 pm »
Excellent review Mike.  :thumb:  Pretty much sums up what I heard when I was at Geddes'.  Another thing I noticed was that due to lack of distortion we were playing at much higher levels that I perceived.  Do you find yourself playing any louder?

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 26 Feb 2009, 07:59 pm »
Excellent review Mike.  :thumb:  Pretty much sums up what I heard when I was at Geddes'.  Another thing I noticed was that due to lack of distortion we were playing at much higher levels that I perceived.  Do you find yourself playing any louder?

Oh yeah, I have to be conscious of the level and not go overboard. The seeming lack of distortion and compression unfortunately encourages turning it up. :) Of course part of how I judge equipment is when something makes me want to turn it down, regardless of level, it has to go.

BillB

« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2009, 08:00 pm »
Henry,

What model Edcors did you use? I have heard of people measuring to 30hz with the standard ones and when all is said and done they are more or less full-range.

I used the GSXE on my SE amp and it definitely has no lack of bottom end.

I will post pics of my projects when I get home.

BradJudy

« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2009, 08:13 pm »
I built this Pass DIY B1 recently:

My current DIY project is for the Eye-fidelity circle - I'll be sure to post there when it's done.  :)

BillB

« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2009, 11:56 pm »
My 6T9 SE amp:

Closeup of feedback switch and carbon fiber top:

Variable negative feedback uses Riken resistors (I had some lying around), Cathode cap is an organic polymer electrolytic

The Euterpe preamp:

ohenry

« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2009, 12:57 am »
Henry,

What model Edcors did you use? I have heard of people measuring to 30hz with the standard ones and when all is said and done they are more or less full-range.

Hi Bill,
I used the ones provided in the kit, I believe they were XSE10-8-8K (10 watt, 8k resistance).  Compared to my Carina and other amps, it was obvious that while these produced bass, they just didn't have the heft.  I ordered the Transcendar 10 watt, 8k and the difference in tone is very noticeable and desirable for me.

Many Spud guys are running the big 15" Silver Iris speakers and maybe in that application the Spud isn't bass shy.  Regardless, it's a great little amp and it's a keeper for me.

BillB

« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2009, 01:14 am »
If you get randy sometime I can highly recommend the 6T9 compactron.

They put out about the same wattage SE as the spud (6t9 is a 12w pentode and a triode) but the bass weight and sound impressed me much more...I had a Spud at the house for a short time and it was very warm in the mids but not much elsewhere...this was before they switched to Edcors though.

Glad you found bliss in the new transformers!

dweekie

« Reply #19 on: 27 Feb 2009, 05:58 am »
Henry,

Hi Bill,
I used the ones provided in the kit, I believe they were XSE10-8-8K (10 watt, 8k resistance).  Compared to my Carina and other amps, it was obvious that while these produced bass, they just didn't have the heft.  I ordered the Transcendar 10 watt, 8k and the difference in tone is very noticeable and desirable for me.

Many Spud guys are running the big 15" Silver Iris speakers and maybe in that application the Spud isn't bass shy.  Regardless, it's a great little amp and it's a keeper for me.

I'm pretty sure the XSE10 8-8K was original release that I have now, and by the looks of your chassis, it should have come with a replacement model designed for a bit lower frequency response.  I followed your thread on the transformer upgrade; very nice indeed. 

I'm still drooling over a Carina... why can't I just get myself to sell off my DIY projects and just get one :duh: