Roon/BDP2 volume setting

jobiwon

Roon/BDP2 volume setting
« on: 2 Dec 2021, 04:26 pm »
Trying to help a person over on Audiogon with his initial foray into The Roons.  I think source settup is pc-laptop/RoonCore--> BDP2--> BDA--> someunkownPreamp.  He stated that his Audio/Device setup setting in Roon was "Device Volume".  But the volume was not working on the pre, effectively no volume control  :scratch:.  I suggested setting Roon to Fixed volume and try again , as that is what works on my settup ( SGC/Core-->BPD-pi-->DAC--Pre).

Any suggestions will be passed along.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
Re: Roon/BDP2 volume setting
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2021, 05:58 pm »
Given the chain of components you've described, I can't see how Roon could have anything to do with whether or not the preamplifier's volume control would work or not. Assuming that playback from the BDP-2 down otherwise works fine when not using Roon.

If the preamp volume control is not working, either he isn't actually using the preamplifier or its volume control is broken or disabled somehow. If the preamp was on something like HT bypass then the music would have been blasting out super loud. I guess the alternative is that somehow the Roon volume is being set to zero or something very low so there's nothing to hear at all, which would also make it seem like the preamp volume control isn't working. Which would have been addressed by changing the setting to Fixed Volume.

Northman

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2021, 01:05 pm »
Jobiwon is being very kind--I'm the A'gon he's been helping (!). I think I somewhat misstated my problem so here goes, and I'd be grateful for any advice.

I’m new to Roon. My Roon core for the moment is my MacBook. Roon then runs this way: MacBook>BDP2 > BDA2 > BP17. I am hoping that someone can help me get the volume control on the Roon app to work so that I can control the volume through my phone's Roon remote.

If I play Roon through my MacBook's speakers ("system output"), the Roon volume control works fine. But when I play music through my BDP2 and main system, the Roon volume control is “fixed" and I can't control the volume. When I go to settings for the BDP, it very clearly says that the volume control is “device volume.” (The other option is “Fixed volume.”)

I can see nothing else to do in the Roon settings. Is there something on the BDP dashboard that will free up the volume control?

I can still control the volume through the preamp, but as I don’t have a remote it means walking across the room every time I want to adjust the volume. And I'm getting too old for that....

Many thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2021, 01:56 pm »
Hi Northman

I will send this to Chris to see if he can help.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2021, 04:21 pm »
Jobiwon is being very kind--I'm the A'gon he's been helping (!). I think I somewhat misstated my problem so here goes, and I'd be grateful for any advice.

I’m new to Roon. My Roon core for the moment is my MacBook. Roon then runs this way: MacBook>BDP2 > BDA2 > BP17. I am hoping that someone can help me get the volume control on the Roon app to work so that I can control the volume through my phone's Roon remote.

If I play Roon through my MacBook's speakers ("system output"), the Roon volume control works fine. But when I play music through my BDP2 and main system, the Roon volume control is “fixed" and I can't control the volume. When I go to settings for the BDP, it very clearly says that the volume control is “device volume.” (The other option is “Fixed volume.”)

I can see nothing else to do in the Roon settings. Is there something on the BDP dashboard that will free up the volume control?

I can still control the volume through the preamp, but as I don’t have a remote it means walking across the room every time I want to adjust the volume. And I'm getting too old for that....

Many thanks!

Hi Northman,

You can enable software control in the advance roon ready settings

Chris

Northman

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2021, 07:59 pm »
Chris, thank you SO MUCH. I never would have figured that out. This is not the first time you've rescued me--and I truly appreciate it. Once again I'm deeply impressed with the support that Bryston offers. And thanks as well to James and to jobiwon!