Which spades for 4B3?

alanford69

Which spades for 4B3?
« on: 29 Feb 2024, 04:24 pm »
Hello, I evaluating a new speaker cable with spades connection on the amp side.
Does 4B3 accepts any type of spades? For example Cardas offers both 6mm or 9mm spades: which one should I choose?
https://www.cardas.com/spades

Thanks!

won ton on

Re: Which spades for 4B3?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2024, 05:28 pm »
alanford69     I use Cardas bannana plugs as i found i could not get a good connection with the spades.

alanford69

« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2024, 05:40 pm »
alanford69     I use Cardas bannana plugs as i found i could not get a good connection with the spades.

Thanks, I currently have bananas but I need to reduce the overall depth because I don't have much space and I don't want to force the cable to a 90° degree angle against the banana connector edge.

Did you try both 6mm and 9mm Cardas spades?

won ton on

« Reply #3 on: 29 Feb 2024, 06:19 pm »
alanford69       6 mm i have the cables pointing to the outside of the amp 4b2

PeterG

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2024, 02:32 pm »
I use Cardas Golden Cross cables which are terminated with Cardas bananas at the amp end....I found the bananas to be too soft - they would bend slightly and I couldn't get a firm connection to my 3B3....I bought Cardas banana to spade adaptors.....9mm...bananas fit firmly into the adaptor and the (now spade) connection at the amp end is very good...I have a 4B3 and 3B3 and they both have 9mm (5/16) spade binding posts .....the cable connects to the post on the amp vertically from the top ....wouldn't say much room is saved at the back with the spade vs the banana

alanford69

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2024, 04:15 pm »
I have a 4B3 and 3B3 and they both have 9mm (5/16) spade binding posts .....the cable connects to the post on the amp vertically from the top ....wouldn't say much room is saved at the back with the spade vs the banana

Thank you very much, this is very helpful. I am surprised that with spades you didn't save room: would you mind posting a pic of your connection?

veloceleste

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2024, 08:33 pm »
Once you determine the size, get spades that are angled. They are much easier to install into the binding post sleeve and will take some stress off of the cable at the connection.

PeterG

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2024, 03:53 pm »
Alan - the amp is in a closed cabinet with no easy access to the back....iirc...the adaptors are angled away from the amp...Cardas bananas are long with a good sized lug on the cable side....the adaptor extends the connector the length of the spade forks...picture the banana+spade adaptor as the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle...with the binding post as the bottom side....long way of saying the banana+spaded extends back almost as far as the binding post

PeterG

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2024, 04:03 pm »
Alan...one additional point.....if you are using Cardas cables that are spade terminated from the factory, you have less of an issue as the spade only extends back approx half the length of the binding post ...this solution will help if your amp is up against the back of your cabinet or wall

alanford69

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2024, 11:01 pm »
Alan...one additional point.....if you are using Cardas cables that are spade terminated from the factory, you have less of an issue as the spade only extends back approx half the length of the binding post ...this solution will help if your amp is up against the back of your cabinet or wall

Got it, thanks! I am evaluating a second hand pair and, yes they are terminated from the factory. Let’s see if manage to get them.

Thanks again for the info!