Kismet Reference Speaker - Bad Tweeter?

Conmoto22

Kismet Reference Speaker - Bad Tweeter?
« on: 28 Apr 2023, 04:37 am »
Paid a fair price for used Kismet speakers and Candela pre to go with my cherished Khartago monos. I set them up, listened for a bit and then started tweaking with Dirac. During the frequency sweeps I heard a nasty little buzz on the left side. I had hoped it was something in the room simply reacting to a specific frequency, but no  :cry: I can ignore it well enough with most music, but anything like solo piano or wind instruments there's no avoiding it. I can't see or feel anything loose on the grill. Is there a reason to pull it out? What would I look for? These tweets aren't cheap (as in REALLY not cheap), but what really concerns me is the idea that tweeters should be replaced in pairs. Did I make that up or is that a thing? Lesson learned: Always listen to the speakers before buying, run a frequency sweep.

While I'm here, are there any opinions on Dirac for a 2 or 2.1 system? I was impressed with how it evened out the bass in my rectangular and untreated room. I sprung for the $99 upgrade to include the high frequency room treatment. First impression was good, but in hindsight I wonder if it actually improves the sound. It certainly changes it. Was the upgrade worth $99? Yeah, probably. Had I not tried it, I'd still be wasting time wondering what it's like. I think I've only scratched the surface of what Dirac can do. Anyway, has anyone had experience with Dirac?

GentleBender

Re: Kismet Reference Speaker - Bad Tweeter?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2023, 08:23 am »
I suggest you call Klaus to sort it out. Hopefully it is something simple. We’re the speakers shipped?

JMW73

Re: Kismet Reference Speaker - Bad Tweeter?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2023, 01:00 pm »
To the Dirac question... I run full range Dirac on my system.  For me, it makes very few audible changes in the upper ranges.  However, I notice it reduces listening fatigue by A LOT!.  It does make huge audible differences down low though.