X3 bass falls off under 50hz?

sarora9

X3 bass falls off under 50hz?
« on: 24 Mar 2021, 01:29 am »
I have been an X3 owner for a year. I finally got Dayton  imm-6 microphone for the iphone and measured the output.

The output was fairly flat in my room down to 50hz and then dropped off very rapidly, like 10 db or more. The speakers are a bit over 3ft from front wall. The room is fairly big (actually opens up to rest of the house in an open floor plan, so the effective room volume is pretty large)

Has anybody else encountered this? The specs say that it should go down to 25hz. (I added a suitable shelf filter in Roon DSP to boost the bottom octace and it does improve things.)

Roon-> Bricasti M1 SE + streamer -> Folsom 7293 amp -> X3

Thanks

Spatial Audio

Re: X3 bass falls off under 50hz?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2021, 03:05 am »
I have been an X3 owner for a year. I finally got Dayton  imm-6 microphone for the iphone and measured the output.

The output was fairly flat in my room down to 50hz and then dropped off very rapidly, like 10 db or more. The speakers are a bit over 3ft from front wall. The room is fairly big (actually opens up to rest of the house in an open floor plan, so the effective room volume is pretty large)

Has anybody else encountered this? The specs say that it should go down to 25hz. (I added a suitable shelf filter in Roon DSP to boost the bottom octace and it does improve things.)

Roon-> Bricasti M1 SE + streamer -> Folsom 7293 amp -> X3

Thanks

Do you have bass traps behind the speakers? Sounds like you could be getting substantial boundary cancellation between the speaker and wall. Could also be the iPhone setup - not recommended for measurements normally. Is the signal weighted ? Ground plane measurement? 1M ? etc...... Measurement data is useless unless everything is proper. Getting good in-room low frequency measurements are especially difficult.

If you add Roon EQ that low in frequency, you will likely cause the on-board power amp to go into clipping. Not recommended.

Please contact me directly with this type of question. 435-640-1294 or claytonshawis@gmail.com

Clayton
Spatial Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2021, 12:00 pm by Spatial Audio »

sarora9

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2021, 02:34 pm »
Thanks Clayton I will call you.

I am using an external microphone (Dayton imm-6) that plugs into the iphone, not the internal mic. The general consensus is that this should be accurate up to a couple db.

I am measuring at my listening position and ear height, maybe 6-7 feet from the speakers.

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2021, 07:08 pm »
Belive your speaker’s specs...and know that it’s always room acoustics when it comes to bass behaviors.

Mr. Big

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2021, 11:41 pm »
Bass traps are so helpful no matter the speaker. Just one in each corner, or better yet 2 to the ceiling. Best invest you can make, the room dictates the interaction with the speaker and the sound you hear. Crappy room, crapy sound, and no amount of gear will change that.

SoundSound

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2021, 06:25 pm »
@sarora9, sent you a PM. :)

RonN5

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2021, 08:42 pm »

Here is a pretty cool tool that may help you visualize what is going on.  Plug in your rough room dimensions then place your cursor over the vertical bars (which show room mode frequencies issues for that size of room and look at where the problem areas are in the room 3d graph to the right and below the vertical bars. 

As you will see, sometimes the problems are near the floor, sometimes midway up from the floor, sometimes in the corners, etc.  As has been said above, the room is the critical factor and you may well have to move your speakers, move your listening position or both to get the measured bass (at the listening position) you desire.

The room problem is also why many people use subwoofer/s which can be repositioned and parametrically equalized to get the desired results when properly blended with the mains.

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=15&w=13&h=10&ft=true&r60=0.6