Stracking the Amps?

Hank Rearden

Stracking the Amps?
« on: 3 Apr 2003, 08:53 pm »
I have run into a problem and the short term answer is stacking the the Mono's and the HT3 on top of each other. I have heard of people stacking two amps on top of each other but I am not sure if three is too much? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Eduardo AAVM

Stracking the Amps?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2003, 12:22 am »
I think they are strong enough to support that, even I think the heat wont be a problem.

jackman

Stracking the Amps?
« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2003, 03:28 am »
Hank,
Those amps run very cool and seem to be strong enough to stack three...along with a Humvee or two.  Just put something on the feet to prevent scratching the anodized surface.  That would be the only potential problem I could envision.

JoshK

Stracking the Amps?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2003, 03:13 pm »
I agree with the others.  I would only point out that the amp should have somewhat limited heat dissipation from the top and the bottom by design.  The heatsinks are on the side so I would just make sure you allow for appropriate air flow around the sides of the amps in this setup.

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
Stracking the Amps?
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2003, 03:05 pm »
Quote from: jackman
Hank,
Those amps run very cool and seem to be strong enough to stack three...

Strong enough yes, but "cool" is relative. I am not sure what sort of speakers you are powering, but after 2 hours of high SPL listening on my Maggies, the monos are almost too hot to touch on the heat sinks and the case itself is mighty warm.

I used to think I needed to add a fireplace to my house, but since I added the maggies with Odyssey monos, I have ample extra heat availabe.

I asked Klaus about the vibrapods ratings and he explained that the feet he put under the amps were rated for weights ranging from one amp to well over the weight of two (I plan to bi-amp soon, so they will get stacked on both sides). I am not sure about the weight of the HT3 - if the total weight exceeds the rating of the feet under one unit, I'd get the next higher rated vbibrapods for the bottom unit. Check with Klaus for the exact rating. I only needed to know about the weight of two Xtremes.

Peter