Got to drive a Chevy Volt today!

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Got to drive a Chevy Volt today!
« Reply #180 on: 19 Oct 2010, 08:35 pm »

My point being that ACers buy expensive stuff not for the economics (buying $1000's of equipment every year) but for other factors - just like people who buy solar panels (where I saw another AC discussion on the return on investment took place) don't always simply buy stuff to save money - even in the long run.
it's true, but it's not an apples to apples comparison, imo.  cuz folks here spend money on audio for fun.  if you're buying a hybrid, it's not usually for fun, but for economic or enwironmental savings.  so, there's a trade-off for a lot of folks considering a hybrid wehicle - cost/enwironmental issues vs fun.  cuz a car is something that, like audio, a lot of folks like to have fun with.  and, it's also different than buying a solar panel - solar panels are strictly to save energy, not sure one solar panel is more fun than another.   :wink:

on the other hand, re: audio, some folks have considered getting rid of tubes & class-a amplification, in search of more energy-friendly gear...

doug s.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #181 on: 19 Oct 2010, 09:31 pm »
Not true at all, Doug.  Many people especially love how quite and smooth the ride is while the vehicle is operating on just electricity.  You really have to drive one or ride in one to appreciate the difference.  And solar panels are often purchased to create the feeling of independence even more than for saving money- the big utilities can't control the sun...yet! :lol:

People also love "green" tech just for the novelty and high tech whiz bang aspect of it.  You change components just to try something new.  Many people geek out to alternate energy for the same reason.  My brother has his degree in IT but really wishes he had the EE/engineering background to work with solar, wind, etc.  He just think it all looks like fun.

charmerci

« Reply #182 on: 19 Oct 2010, 11:28 pm »
Plus, the next Middle East crisis could happen at any time and then when the price of gas quickly starts going up towards and over $4/gallon.....

mort

« Reply #183 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:29 pm »
Rob, you could not have put it better. Solar and alternate energy definatley has it's geeks as well. As a marine electrition I install several photovotalic systems for practicality but I see residential systems with sun trackers and any thing that can produce 1 more watt. These guys will never pay for their systems but they love to tweek just like we do with audio. Mabey cars like the Volt and the Leaf will allow folks to tweek their hardware or driving habits to get that extra mile. That sounds like healty tweeking.

turkey

« Reply #184 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:53 pm »
Not true at all, Doug.  Many people especially love how quite and smooth the ride is while the vehicle is operating on just electricity.  You really have to drive one or ride in one to appreciate the difference. 

Yesterday I watched a video of a comparison between a Porsche Boxter and a Tesla. The Porsche is a better car. It's also half the price. So, if I were in the market for a sports car, I'd probably wind up with the Porsche over the Tesla because it's more practical.

However, if I had an unlimited budget, I'd surely own a Tesla too because it looks like it's a blast to drive, and it's an extremely interesting vehicle to me in ways that no modern Porsche is.

mort

« Reply #185 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:06 pm »

However, if I had an unlimited budget, I'd surely own a Tesla too because it looks like it's a blast to drive, and it's an extremely interesting vehicle to me in ways that no modern Porsche is.

I am very interested in the new Porsche 918 hi-bred 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, 190 mph top speed, 75 mpg. If any one can build it Porsche can!

mort

« Reply #186 on: 31 Oct 2010, 06:40 am »
My buddy who is a conceirge ( how ever you spell it) at a lux hotel in Seattle, get's to tell the vallet's to step aside when a nice car arives at the door. Well he just had the oppertunity to drive a Tesla he claims its as fast as any car he has driven at his job in 15 years. Just going around the block he was able to hit seventy M.P.H. Great breaks and exeleration, exeleration. He described the sound  of the drive system as that of an electric drill motor. Some may say that is lame I however believe that is awesome. Less interferance with the audio system! P.S. always think twice before leaving your sports car with a twenty or thirty some vallet, They will have fun.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #187 on: 31 Oct 2010, 12:43 pm »
Yesterday I watched a video of a comparison between a Porsche Boxter and a Tesla. The Porsche is a better car. It's also half the price. So, if I were in the market for a sports car, I'd probably wind up with the Porsche over the Tesla because it's more practical.

"Better" is a pretty loaded term.  The Tesla is quicker, of that there's no doubt.  I've seen the Tesla smoke the top Porsche offering in the quarter, and it wasn't a very close race.  Ditto for almost every internal combustion engine car you can name.  In fact, the inventor/owner claims the Roadster has never lost a drag race against a production car, and looking at the numbers I'm inclined to believe him.  Electric motors make basically 100% of their torque from 0 rpm all the way to "redline."  Gas engines have a pretty limited power band.  Of course, the Tesla is quick but not fast- that is, the top speed is pretty low compared to most sports cars.  But be honest- how often do you drive faster than 100 mph?  The Tesla will break your neck on the way to 100 mph but tops out at 120.  I could live with that.  A 911 will see nothing but Tesla tail lights in the 1/4, and that's really a more realistic take on city driving.

As to "better", again I have to ask- better in what way?  Fuel economy?  0 to 60?  Cool factor?  Warranty?  Better is meaningless without some metric to compare.  I'd rather have the Tesla because it's quicker off the line, dead silent and better looking.  But that's just my metrics.