..happy new year fellow VSAers..

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
..happy new year fellow VSAers..
« on: 9 Jan 2019, 10:21 pm »
..since things are a bit slow here I thought it was time for some lightheartedness 😋.  I’ve clicked on a number of threads re cables and it’s the same old “they all sound the same as a coat hanger” to “you’ve got to be deaf if you can’t hear a difference”.  So I always avoid commenting but it got me to thinking about how funny it is when you read a review of say speaker cables and the reviewer struggles to come up with suitable word pictures.  I’m sure we’ve all shaken our head at the adjectives...ha.  But what I’ve found to be just as humorous or even ridiculous is reading reviews on bourbons.  Talk about stretching things..sheesh.  I copied this from a bourbon aficionado site:

NOSE
Brulee, banana, dark fruit, spice, sandalwood, nuts and bits of cocoa and orange oil.

PALATE
Honey, dark fruit, oak, leather, pepper, cinnamon, clove and a touch of vanilla.

..now don’t get me wrong, I am a big fan of good bourbon and have owned a fair number of top shelf and beyond bottles but when I read this stuff I think to myself “man I must be the possesser of a flyover state pallet”.  When I sniff the glass I think, that smells like a pretty decent bourbon...likewise when I sip it.  But just like my cables I defy anyone to convince me that all bourbons taste the same 😂

SundayNiagara

Re: ..happy new year fellow VSAers..
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2019, 12:43 am »
The higher the resolution of one's system, the easier it is to discern differences in cables.

Provided, of course that the system is set up properly and the speakers have lots of room to breathe.

Pearson's 'rule of thirds' comes to mind.  :)

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2019, 04:01 pm »
..quite surprising to see SN post a reference to the “rule of thirds”  :lol:

SundayNiagara

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2019, 08:11 pm »
..quite surprising to see SN post a reference to the “rule of thirds”  :lol:

Butch up and try it. Your wife won't like it, but the sound will be mind-boggling. :D

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2019, 11:01 pm »
..not sure I like the butch up implication

SundayNiagara

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2019, 03:28 pm »
..not sure I like the butch up implication

Speaks for itself. :D

Delacroix

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2019, 07:39 pm »
Hum..so it's butch to move your speakers? Not sure I understand your point there.

As for bourbon, I find that the higher quality stuff I imbibe, the better my system sounds.